Contact us

ESC2017 - Overall Reactions

joao

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey guys!

I didn't found any thread that matched this one. If it does I'm sorry!

Basically this thread is to discuss what we have already seen on eurovision 2017. Semi finals, hosts, stage... all in to one!

To me Ukraine is being a good host. However no one can host a eurovision song contest as good as the swedes. It's true! 2013 and 2016 were by far the best eurovision shows we have seen. From hosting, to graphics, show, etc.

This year the stage looks very impressive on screen and I think the camerawork is good. I just wish the audience had colored bracelets that would change depending on the mood of the song. It really adds a nice touch and I miss it very much!

The host are doing an ok job I guess. But they aren't very spontaneous and you can clearly see the whole thing has been practiced over and over.And the guy at the green room? Is he actually speaking english? It might be ukranian for all that matters because I can hardly understand what he is saying. But hey, succeeding Petra is never easy!

The postcards are... oh well... awful. Since each country was responsible for theire own we see huge diference between them. And I'm not talking about creative ideas, I'm talking about lighting, video editing, etc. For example, :au: was great but :al: was pretty bad.

The graphics??

giphy.gif

Opening act:

I actually liked this song more than most of the entries we had last night. Can we have him for Ukraine next year? Pleeeeease??

The Verka Serduchka segment was pretty funny! Thumbs up!

About the qualifiers:

Can't believe :fi: is out and :gr: is in!!

:lv: was very good and the only reason I see it missing the final it's because of the jury just like :me: in 2013.

And speaking of Montenegro... that was dreadful! I felt I was in the worst gay bar in town!!

And no matter who qualifies tomorrow I bet Moldova will be opening the show!

midnightsun

Veteran
I think it's a pretty good contest based on what we've seen right now.
The stage is beautiful! I didn't like it in the pre-ESC-weeks when the first pics were revealed but I was proven wrong! It's actually the best stage since 2011. I think the camera work could be improved but I just learned, thanks to this forum :), that most of the work I criticized was chosen by the delegation of the countries themselves, so I really don't know whose fault it is. The hosts are charming and much better than some in the past years.
Songwise, it's pretty good too. I hated it a few weeks ago because I thought we didn't have enough great songs but once my favs came in and especially since semi 1 I think, 2017 is a pretty good year actually. Many great performances and voices.

DanielLuis

I'm not sure this is exactly the best thread to post this, but I don't know anywhere else I can put it in.
A quick analysis of the youtube views of the semi-final 1 countries right now:

1. Portugal - 705k
2. Belgium - 468k
3. Moldova - 339k
4. Greece - 332k
5. Poland - 321k
6. Montenegro - 252k
7. Cyprus - 240k
8. Azerbaijan - 231k
9. Sweden - 221k
10. Armenia - 207k
11. Latvia - 190k
12. Australia - 151k
13. Georgia - 107k
14. Finland - 72k
15. Iceland - 65k
16. Albania - 61k
17. Slovenia - 55k
18. Czech Republic - 38k

I know a lot of things can influence youtube views one way or the other, but looking at this ranking I really think this can resemble the televoting result a lot. I honestly think there won't be any major differences, besides Armenia and possibly Sweden higher and Montenegro lower.

marty

in my view this esc is just routine. the hosts are awful, the openings were bad. the stage is nice. the postcards boring. i dont understand why they chose the motto. there is nothing about diversity implemented in the show. you can feel that there is no heart and soul put into the show.

Sammy

Veteran
Can I just say how happy I am, that ALL of the countries that had songs in their native language proceeded to the final! xlove

EscGeek

Veteran
okay i have a few comments...
I'm glad the epic sax guy is getting recognition he deserves (22nd place from 2010 is a crime)
Blanche had a decent performance in the final only
I'm glad Finland failed
Albania grew on me a lot...Lindita should've passed
lol at australia's televote
Latvia was amazing!
Omar should've waited 50 years to submit this song because apparently the first song ever written is good enough to win eurovision
Bulgaria is fine, but 2nd is a bit too much
I'm glad Estonia failed
Poor Switzerland almost made it.. too bad
San Marino deserved the final, the song brings me so much joy...
Surprised to see Austria so low,while Malta 2013 got 8th place and they're basically the same crap
Spain was great, Manel was my favorite from the very begining
Netherlands,Australia and Sweden overrated AF
Italy was the best
Good job Romania and Hungary

simonPL

I would say that it would be nice to see more women on the audience. I know Eurovision is like a Champions League for gays, but c'mon.

:p

marty

I would say that it would be nice to see more women on the audience. I know Eurovision is like a Champions League for gays, but c'mon.

:p

there was much more women in the fancircle this year

Neo

• Songs: A good year IMO. Of course people just don't get it so most of the good ones didn't go through but that's for another thread.

• Juries: Just has to go! Yes they got it right this time, but every year just proves their worthlessness and the unfairness of it all.

• Hosts: Quite enjoyed them, except the automaton in the Green Room with the very thick accent.

• Lighting: A memorable thing this year was the atrocious lighting. Hard, harsh white light, sometimes even at an angle made some people look like wrinkled pigs, aged before their time. Outright rude and quite distracting.

• Stage: The thing on top of the stage looks like a woman spreading her legs and even a crack in the middle, on some acts it's almost rude.

• Backup singers: Didn't see many and don't need them. Can't remember which song now, but one sang very false and hurt the main artist. Recorded backups from now on please. It's time. End of an era.

• Dancing: Seems to be out? Even though I adore dancing and the Armenian ones were a sight to behold, Ruslana's throwback was not nice.

• French: I though we dropped to speak French already?

• Voting: Nice for the host to chat a bit to the vote-givers. Some are still cringe-producing, but I guess part of the ESC experience. Nice suspense at the end.

• Closeups of fans: What's the deal with that? They don't have make-up to save us, and just a few faces made the whole thing look an event at the pub. Show a group for godssake.

• Accordions: Terry Wogan's old adage that there will always be accordions in Eurovision almost seem to fall this year, but then a host pulls one out in the semi, bless him.

Edward

Couldn't find a spokespersons thread so I guess I'll just throw a couple of lines here. As for my overall reaction on this year's edition it is already spread out there in other numerous posts.

I just wanted to say that completely failed to recognize Sanja Vucic. The same happened with Zlata Ognevich. The later can be explained with excitement for my country winning the jury vote at the time though.

I did watch again the spokespersons part today and still, Zlata does look a bit different from 2013. So I do not blame my distraction alone. Recognizable still but already a bit distant from the jawbreaking near perfection of 2013.

As for Sanja...was that really her? She looks so different, just a year after. I think make up and dress choice were very poor.

I felt bad for my failure to recognize a couple of my favorite ESC entrants but Sanja really takes the cake. Looks like a totally different person, for the worse :\

randajad

Veteran
Songs: Fantastic year, so many good entries, and the most of them were in in the final
Results: so happy for Portugal, Luisa and Salvador, completely deserved victory, Spain last xheart, Germany last xheart
Juries: loved them, keep up the good work.
Hosts: not bad, but lame, also the script was cringy af
Lighting: not bad, could be better, that chadelier thing was amazing tho
Stage: bad, they could do this so much better, and that arch looked so cheap
Backup singers: the good - not so many of them on stage, the bad - most of them sounded terrible
Opening acts: 1st semi was boring, 2nd semi was fantastic and looked amazing, final was good
Interval acts: Jamala's performance of Zamanyly was fantastic, loved it very much, and the song is fantastic, everything else was boring, annoying and/or bad, Ruslana's song and performance was crap de la crap
Verka: just the right amount of Verka xheart

Overall: it was a good year, songs and performances were mostly good, results were terrific, hosting was kinda ok, well done Ukraine

eerik

Did not watch. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

WhoKnows

The chandelier thing was actually pretty awesome. It's a shame more countries didn't use it to their advantage.

marty

Overall: it was a good year, songs and performances were mostly good, results were terrific, hosting was kinda ok, well done Ukraine

this esc was not done by the ukraine.....

esc87fan

Some of my overall reactions...

:pt: was my biggest grower this year. After listening to it a few times, I knew this would be a standout song and do well, hopefully challenge Italy for the win. The momentum for Salvador kept growing and peaking when it mattered most, so he is a deserving winner. The winning move I think was to have him perform on the satellite stage instead of the main stage surrounded by the crowd to keep that feeling of intimacy the song conveys (I have a friend in the UK who is also a big ESC fan, so we communicated during the show via Skype. When Salvador did the winner's reprise with his sister, my friend was literally in tears).

I am THANKFUL that :md: made the right decision to send Sunstroke Project over Ethno Republic! At the time of their selection, there were so many ballads chosen, so I literally said to my fellow co-admins at ESC Fans Club on Facebook that they had just saved semi 1! There was just a feeling in my mind that they were going to do better than their appearance in Oslo 7 years ago, and they exceeded that result by lightyears! Second in the semifinal, 3rd overall... I have a feeling that like Amir with France last year, they made Moldova believe in the possible again!

Looking at the second semifinal results, I was sad for both :rs: and :ch:. Both were SO close to qualifying (3 and 4 points respectively), but at least Switzerland didn't finish last again! The Swiss need to look at their selection process more carefully in order to re-find that success they had with Sebalter in 2014, and I have no doubt they will sometime soon

Poor Alma, I have to say she gave a very confident and vocally sound performance, and the staging was incredible. But being slotted last behind a big favorite in Bulgaria (kind of reminds me of poor Mélanie in the 2015 second semi) kind of hurt her. But yet, it was still France's second consecutive trip to the left-hand side of the scoreboard, and Edoardo and his team are still on a good track. I can't wait to see what :fr: brings to the table in the next couple of years.

I have to say something about :it:. For months it was the untouchable entry, the bookies had this as the hottest of hot favorites, it literally won every fan poll in sight (aside from a couple), and people were talking landslide victory for the longest time with all the other countries fighting for the minor placings. My guess is that as the contest preparations went on the hype got to be too much for some people and quickly got turned off, and then there was the surge of momentum for both Portugal and Bulgaria. It also didn't help that Moldova, who went 2 places before Italy in the final, had a stronger performance so I think they stole some of that thunder from Francesco (the staging was not that good either). I thought just before the final that he would still win the televote, but I never expected Portugal, Bulgaria or even Moldova to really dominate!

QwaarJet

ESC Moderator
Bad show, bad hosts, bad song quality.

But Salvador won, so who gives a shit?

MyHeartIsYours

Eurovision 2017 has been fantastic, I think Ukraine were great hosts and there really weren't any songs I didn't like - plus I have a new all-time-favourite in Yodel It :p

One thing that is still bothering me though (as it has done for quite a few years now) is how the current voting system really doesn't work. I still like the basic idea of combined televoting and jury voting, but the way the votes are presented is a disaster. It is too confusing and too rushed, you barely get to see the countries announcing, then next thing you're hearing "and 567 points go to... " and most 'normal' people (ie non-Eurovish fans) are like wtf even is this. Also, I think the current system favours no one - countries are announcing points that aren't the verdict of their viewers, but there is still shit loads of dodgy voting going on (possibly more than ever if we are to believe some of the jury allegations this year... )

LoveHate

I don't like how the spokepersons only announce the 12's. Since they have the jury results ready they could start announcing them right after the telephone lines are closed.

Of course ideally there would be no jury points to announce, but it is what it is.

joao

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't like how the spokepersons only announce the 12's. Since they have the jury results ready they could start announcing them right after the telephone lines are closed.

Of course ideally there would be no jury points to announce, but it is what it is.

I agree the interval act should be shorter but I think the jury should only announce 8-12. Otherwise the voting would be soooooooo boring.

Top Bottom