Contact us

Israel ESC United - LIVE from Tel Aviv - GRAND FINAL DISCUSSION

NemesisNick

Well folks, it's the morning after the The Eurovision Song Contest 2019 Grand Final, from the Expo Tel Aviv (International Convention Center), Tel Aviv, Israel. What an exciting voting sequence last night, right up to the very last moment. There was no runaway winner this year. Once again certain countries received significant differences between jury and public scores, and no doubt plenty of die-hard Eurovision fans (me included) will have great fun analysing in the forthcoming days.

I've just discovered that Sweden won the jury voting with 239 points (clearly obvious on the scoreboard after all 41 countries had announced their jury scores), but finished just 9th with 93 points in the public vote, and 6th overall with 332 points. Norway won the televoting with 291 points, but 15th with 47 points in the jury vote and 5th overall with 338 points. The overall winner was the Netherlands with 492 points, despite finishing 3rd with 231 points in the jury voting and 2nd with 261 point in the televoting.

Last edited:

NemesisNick

The new way of revealing the televoting part might be more thrilling, but it's unfortunate not to clearly see the viewers' ranking anymore.

For instance, I thought North Macedonia had flopped, but they actually didn't since Tamara was 12th. Same for Serhat.
That's one drawback on the new way of revealing the televoting scores, but I think that's a small price to pay for having a more exciting finish. You can always find out the televote ranking online afterwards. Here's a web page that's got this year's scores, with a table. All columns, including Tele(vote), are sortable; click at the top of the relevant column to sort it. Furthermore, this allows you to see graphical spider diagrams of who gave points to which country (including non-qualifiers) gave points to which finalist, and points that finalists received from other countries. Have fun playing around with this lot!
https://eurovisionworld.com/eurovision/2019

crashworld

Veteran
I still don't understand Czech Republic jury/televote ratio, that's one of the song I expected the most to do well in televote and so-so in jury.
That being said, I'm still in favor of a 50/50 jury and televote participation. Each year we have songs killed by juries and saved by televote or the contrary, getting rid of one of them wouldn't do them any justice.

Even if the new reveal is interesting, it's quite chaotic, It's harder to see who did well in televote.

RE: Czech Republic - I was shocked to be honest. I also think it will do better in the televoting.
RE: New televotes reveal - While I think it's interesting and keep the suspense, but I prefer that credit should be given to the winner of the televotes. The way it's presented gives the impression that televotes are secondary to jury votes.

Ezio

Veteran
If it was done like last year, it would have been obvious that :nl: won when it was only them and :no: left. And maybe booing?

Etanna

If it was done like last year, it would have been obvious that :nl: won when it was only them and :no: left. And maybe booing?

it was quite obvious this way as well at the end

Ezio

Veteran
On a ridiculous sidenote. There was only 1 point between 10th and 11th in the semifinal and Swedish juror Lina Hedlund submitted her votes in the wrong order. Her last place (:at:) was submitted as her first....

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbla...ina-hedlunds-pinsamma-jury-miss-i-semifinalen

I just made the math, and Denmark would have earned 2 points more and Lithuania 2 points less with Lina's correct votes.

Miloutchi

I think they should announce the televote points first. It makes way more sense that the people at home are represented by the spokesperson for each country than the juries...

You could still have the suspense, but more focus would go to the televote winner, which is ultimately more important.

crashworld

Veteran
I think they should announce the televote points first. It makes way more sense that the people at home are represented by the spokesperson for each country than the juries...

You could still have the suspense, but more focus would go to the televote winner, which is ultimately more important.

That's actually quite a good point to be honest since the number of people voting are higher than the people who made up of the jury panel.

Etanna

they want to announce the televote second to make it feel like it's the people at home who ultimately decide the winner. This feeling is however kind of killed off by this new way of announcing votes.

crashworld

Veteran
By the way, I have done up some simple "statistics". It's a ranking based on the number of countries that have voted for each entry.
It's just a very basic indication of whether an entry is "generally well-liked" enough by the other 40 countries to get their votes in this year's competition.

I have done in 3 types of ranking:
(1) Overall (a combined results of jury votes and tele votes)
(2) Jury vote
(3) Tele vote

(1) Overall

- As you can see based on the overall results, there are a few countries where the final results' placing is in line with the placing they have received determined by the number of countries that have voted for them. They are Netherlands, Russia, Norway, Azerbaijan and Czech Republic.
- The disparity between the actual results and the ranking I have done is between 0-3 places for all countries except Sweden and Spain, which got the biggest disparity (4 places).
- But things start to get interesting when it's split by jury vote and tele vote. The biggest difference is Norway (a massive 27 places), followed by Iceland (24 places) and Czech Republic (20 places).

(2) Jury vote

- Interestingly, Azerbaijan is the country that received the most votes from the 41 countries. A total of 32 countries. But they are the 5th in the final jury vote and 7th in the overall final results.
- Netherlands, Italy, North Macedonia and Sweden (the jury vote winner) got votes from 31 countries.

(3) Tele vote

- Netherlands got the most votes from the 41 countries. A total of 40 countries.
- Switzerland and Italy followed with 38 countries
- Norway (despite being the televote winner in the final results) is in the 4th place, receiving votes from 37 countries.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member

Well to anyone who paid close attention they would have known Netherlands had won. A few countries had already scored well over 200 points, no way Sweden was about to join them and get over 253 points.

94ayd

I noticed the top 5 represents the 5 parts of Europe: :nl: (Western), :it: (Southern), :ru: (Eastern), :ch: (Central) and :no: (Northern). I would've definitely preferred another winner (:it: or :no: from the ones in the top 5), but I can live with it as last night me and my boyfriend reconciled exactly when :no: started playing and since I found out it won televoting, it has become my favourite. xheart

PS :no: is no longer the representative of the North and me and my BF are having problems again...

Iker

Veteran
I‘ve just ordered pizza to commence the evening.
Boy, my mum is mad. She‘s a member of a club that has a wine gala tonight and she had just learnt she has to help out selling wine.
Now she can’t watch the final so I have to send her info about the performances and the results and she‘s planned drinking much wine. That will be fun! :D

Meanwhile my mum gave me a death stare when I asked her to watch Eurovision with me. :lol: "Why are you wasting your time on that rubbish, etc". :lol:

Spectrumsnout

Here's the results with 66% televote and 33% jury, which gives televote most of the power while still keeping the juries relevant.
1)Netherlands: 763
2)Italy: 718
3)Norway: 629 (Up 2)
4)Russia: 613 (Down 1)
5)Switzerland: 572 (Down 1)
6)Sweden: 425
7)Iceland: 420 (Up 3)
8)Australia: 416 (Up 1)
9)Azerbaijan: 397 (Down 2)
10)North Macedonia: 353 (Down 2)
11)Denmark: 171 (Up 1)
12)Czechia: 164 (Down 1)
13)Slovenia: 164
14)Serbia: 146 (Up 3)
15)San Marino: 146 (Up 5)
16)France: 143 (Down 2)
17)Albania: 137 (Up 1)
18)Estonia: 134 (Up 1)
19)Cyprus: 133 (Down 4)
20)Malta: 115 (Down 4)
21)Spain: 113 (Up 1)
22)Greece: 95 (Down 1)
23)Israel: 82
24)Belarus: 44 (Up 1)
25)Germany: 32 (Down 1)
26)UK: 19

Lindon

Ezio

Veteran
The new presentation of votes premiered with a worst case scenario - almost no acknowledgment of the televote winner, although it achieved the superior amount of votes of either voting segment. So this new presentation is disqualified upon inception.

I am also struck by the fact that Norway achieved the televoting victory through position 15, which is one of the worst. It's a position usually for fillers, not for winners. And I am irritated that Norway was put in this position in the first place after having scored the televoting victory in the semifinal. The could have had a better slot toward the ending, for example swapped with Spain or Azerbaijan.

midnightsun

Veteran
I know, conspiracy theory, but think about who benefits from that the most? ;-)
Probably the same country that is threatend by Czech Republic‘s jury vote in the Semi so that they have been banished to spot #3. Pretty uncool for a (part) semi-winner, eh? :D
Probably also the same country that put Iceland, the winner of the televote in Semi 1 almost next to televote winner Norway of Semi 2. Did they want the public to decide between Norway and Iceland so that both of them get less points?
Same with Australia and Switzerland. I thought it was pro Australia but knowing all results, I think it‘s rather pro Sweden because the faves steal each other‘s vote. I always found the running order very strange this year...

crashworld

Veteran
I am also struck by the fact that Norway achieved the televoting victory through position 15, which is one of the worst. It's a position usually for fillers, not for winners. And I am irritated that Norway was put in this position in the first place after having scored the televoting victory in the semifinal. The could have had a better slot toward the ending, for example swapped with Spain or Azerbaijan.

Looking at the running order VS their semi-final results.
There are only 3 semi-final 2 finalists in the 2nd half and out of the 3, Norway got the "worst" results in the semi-final 2.
Switzerland is ranked #4, Azerbaijan is ranked #5 and Norway is ranked #7 in the semi-final 2.
There is this theory that usually the songs that do well will be put closer to the end of each half of the show.
So I do see why Norway is where it is at.

But then don't forget, they were sandwiched between 2 songs with no hype at all, you never know it could have worked to their advantage. There is a possibility that if they were to start later or end the show, they could have suffered.
I got a feeling the block of entries starting from Iceland to Italy were all so high impact and with elaborated staging, entries between them suffered as viewers could have felt fatigued watching all these songs in one shot, and only Azerbaijan came out unscathed.

eurovisionist

Hey everybody its me again! i know it looks like a spam and i share it for the secon time..but it s certainly not We are making a survey about how Post eurovision depression affects work performance.It woulde very nice of you if you fill it and share it with your fellow Eurovision fans! Thanks in advence.
https://t.co/J8yyOjV55w

Top Bottom