Contact us

ESC United LIVE from Stockholm - As it happened

aef

Re: ESC United LIVE from Stockholm - TONIGHT: EUROVISION 2016 (DISCUSSION THREAD)

So that was the ESC 2016 in Rome... uh, Stockholm. Kinda divided with my opinion.
I liked the hosts. Learned to love Petra, and Måns was okay as well, I guess. They did a good job most of the time, and some jokes like the one with Europe in the first semi final were pretty well, hehe.
However, I missed a bit of Sweden's culture. Why do they never show what they have to offer? Okay, they showed us that they do kinda well in music once again (I remember that ABBA-festival in 2013). But apart from that, I almost felt like I watched a show from the States, that Broadway-like Eurovision-song, having Justin Timberlake as an interval act, Måns "American accent" didn't help either... and so many special effects, Jesus Christ.
And these amazing voting results, lmao. Screaming witch from Ukraine, Special effects-show-off from Russia, Mr. Prince from Poland, while France, Latvia, Hungary and the Netherlands barely made it to the top, this ESC was such a let-down in my point of view. Getting turned down by it more and more since 2014...

xyeah Almost the same thoughts as I had/have...

Lordemort

Re: ESC United LIVE from Stockholm - TONIGHT: EUROVISION 2016 (DISCUSSION THREAD)

Overall, despite being really disappointed with the juries and the results I felt it was one of the strongest years thus far, in my opinion 23/26 songs belonged in the final (apart from israel, lithuania and georgia) and obviously some had to be in the bottom. My favourite (Estonia) was rock bottom, but atleast France and Austria did good.

Hrafninn

Overall, despite being really disappointed with the juries and the results I felt it was one of the strongest years thus far, in my opinion 23/26 songs belonged in the final (apart from israel, lithuania and georgia) and obviously some had to be in the bottom. My favourite (Estonia) was rock bottom, but atleast France and Austria did good.

A few days ago France, Russia and Australia were the favourites. What happened to France? In Sweden the newspapers were saying that France was Frans biggest opponent... So France didn't do very well after all the hype. And the same goes for Estonia, iceland and SPAIN (Like, seriously Europe). Other songs that made it surprisingly to the top 10 were Belgium and Sweden. Other songs that in my opinion were underrated were UK and Cyprus.

Malagant

FSC Admin
Staff member

I don't know what it's like in other countries, but the national web-newspapers here in Norway today are filled with comments from expert commentators that Ukraine's victory last night was a political victory against Russia, that it was a political statement against Russia's policies all the way back to Stalin and now under Putin with Crimea (indirectly a sympathy-vote for Ukraine).. Personally I have never been a fan of mixing ESC/music and politics.. but I see some say there has always been politics in some way or other in the ESC.. Strange though this year, if it was politics that decided the outcome, how come Russia won the European televote? It was the juries that 'screwed' them after all.. *shrugs*

Simon87

My friends liked Georgia and The Netherlands the most xD I dont like any if them and they didnt liked my fave Armenia
Only Bulgaria was good to both of us

ag89

I am very happy Australia brought such an amazing entry that fits into 2016.

I am fine with Ukrainian win, but also this is second year in row massive televote winner was left behind by the juries.

Also, I understand that Australian win wouldn't be appreciated as well, but we cannot deny the quality behind Ami's performance. Well done.

For the first time I really enjoyed interval acts in the final, OMG. :D

Peace peace love love. :D

Plus, I am very happy for Georgia and their 12pts they received from the UK. This and Australia was my top 2 and then Russia and Ukraine.

Anyway, one of the best ESCs ever, this new voting is totally fine, but I will agree with many that there are too many issues regarding juries plus their huge impact on final score.

I'm obviously in the minority about a few things but mainly, i couldn't understand why Petra (the host) was so popular, she didn't amuse me once. Not saying she isn't a nice lady but just didn't do anything for me. Secondly the Australian entry, i thought it was pretty bland. Interesting to hear if anyone agrees

Euterpa

I'm obviously in the minority about a few things but mainly, i couldn't understand why Petra (the host) was so popular, she didn't amuse me once. Not saying she isn't a nice lady but just didn't do anything for me. Secondly the Australian entry, i thought it was pretty bland. Interesting to hear if anyone agrees

I do :D About Petra - completely the same. Australia - the only reason that song stood out for me is Dami's voice, interpretation. In the 2nd semi, everyone sounded so badly that she was a breath of fresh air. Like...finally!! :D But in that strong final...meh. Poli left a much bigger impression on me, and Hovi also with his emotional delivery of the song.

cegs5

Hello xwave

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar

Secondly the Australian entry, i thought it was pretty bland. Interesting to hear if anyone agrees

We'll stay off Petra but PREACH in re this one.

hawadharma

Are Petra and Mans superhumans?
Because they made hosting look so effortless + the perfect interval acts with all those quirky choreography.

And they still manage to look good announcing the results and stuff until the last minute.
And never fail to look good and keep the party going.

OMG I just had a crush on these two. :lol:

Salmon

Salmon

Haha I'm sorry but I found it in 9gag so I copied that link xsorry

Hah, no problem! I just like pointing people to the polandball subreddit at every possible occasion, since generally that’s where you’ll find the most original content. (:

cassio

I don't know what it's like in other countries, but the national web-newspapers here in Norway today are filled with comments from expert commentators that Ukraine's victory last night was a political victory against Russia, that it was a political statement against Russia's policies all the way back to Stalin and now under Putin with Crimea (indirectly a sympathy-vote for Ukraine).. Personally I have never been a fan of mixing ESC/music and politics.. but I see some say there has always been politics in some way or other in the ESC.. Strange though this year, if it was politics that decided the outcome, how come Russia won the European televote? It was the juries that 'screwed' them after all.. *shrugs*

It was the same here in Denmark, and I agre with you, why would a jury do that when there job was to focus on the technical level of the performance and yes televoteing was won by the russians ........ the media in Denmark are talking rubish to make a story just for the storys sake

NemesisNick

Having already posted my in-depth review of the Eurovision Song Contest 2016 Grand Final 9 days ago, here is a supplementary report to go with it. This one includes extended analysis of the televoting, a comparison of the jury and televoting, and how the scoreboard would have differed with the two sets of results presented differently.

Eurovision Song Contest 2016 Grand Final Extended Voting Analysis

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
Top Bottom