Contact us

ESC 2019 General Discussion Thread

John1

I agree with you on 2005 and 2010 when it comes to :ru:, but :ru: didn´t do that well in 2005, 15th if I remember correctly.

But totally agree when it comes to Peter Nailitch and "Lost and Forgotten"

To Yulias defense though, semi 2 last year was very very weak

Very strong or very weak? That'd mean she did even worse consjdering that most of songs were supposedly weaker than hers, provided that she woulda performed it well.

tuorem

As promised :) here are my last comments about this year's acts (the big 5 and the host):

01. Germany: Germans do like their chanceless eye-rolling packages, don't they? :? S!sters and their song did justice to the legacy of Jamie-Lee and Levina tbh: "Sister" is a vocal mid-tempo track that leans towards musical drama, I thought it was okay at first, but when listening to it carefully, I find it cringe-worthy and borderline creepy with that music-box melody going on. I get there is a message there, but it's not lyrically conveyed in a way that would make me get into it. The development is rather poor arrangements-wise, the choruses are supposed to be powerful and anthemic, yet they fail to even leave an impression on me. The song literally goes nowhere. The girls are doing the job vocally, but their performance seemed more OTT than emotional imo. Visually, it was as basic as they could get with the girls walking on the catwalk while their faces were displayed on screen; well, at least it wasn't nearly as embarrassing as their original plan to showcase random pictures taken from the internet. I understand that getting zero points from the televote always is a shock - and it's sad for the concerned acts - but to be frank, out of all the zero pointers we've had since the new way of presenting the results (including Czech Republic 2016 and Austria 2017), Germany 2019 is imo the less surprising one, they were kind of asking for an abysmal result. No one would have payed to massively vote for that because it fit the mediocre and forgettable mould Germans have been liking to send these days, there is no mystery behind their result. Honestly, they were lucky they received so many points from the juries.

02. Israel: Just imagine me with a poker face, looking at my invisible watch every ten seconds and checking if my nails were cut properly... That's how uninterested and disappointed I was by the Israeli effort this year. After years of entries in English, I hoped we would have a song in Hebrew and sound-wise more personal than what they've sent recently... Not only "Home" was in English, but it also was totally devoid of personality. For some reason, I never liked any song called "Home" and this one is no exception. My disappointment may colour my judgement, but nothing appealed to me in this remake of Norway 2010: the melody, the arrangements, the structure... This is so vanilla, and I never was fond of this type of bombastic ballads. Kobi was fine, but neither his voice nor his performance were my cup of tea, a real cup of tea would be more likely to move me actually. Visually, this was classy of course, nothing particularly memorable though. And ditch that sparkle shower, for God's sake! Yeah, the Israeli completely lost me this time, I'm not surprised by their low score, it was too much of a typical host entry. Hopefully, they'll have something more exciting in store for me next year.

03. United Kingdom: please trust me when I tell you I'm SO OVER the BBC and their rubbish choices... xboring I'm so tired of seeing them send acts that are doomed to failure, like they had the nerve to call on the Swedes for this offensively dated, dull and forgettable X-factor mess called "Bigger Than Us". No need to describe the song since it sounds like every talent show contestant's debut song of the last fifteen years, with a finale that I found particularly annoying to listen to. I don't hate Michael, but it's clearly not the type of vocalists we should have from the UK, please let that for other countries with tiny music markets! Visually, it was a bunch of random ideas put together to pretend there was a visual at least, the stage looked empty af and that only emphasized how BORING this whole effort was imo. Last place is always harsh, but I can't say it's not deserved as far as I'm concerned. I'm done with the BBC, and don't get me started on the "they don't want to win" argument because sending a song that hasn't "bottom 3" written all over it doesn't mean the UK will win. There is such a thing as top 15, top 10, top 5... Why not try to send a song that could lead to decent results? Is that too far-fetched? See you next year for the brand new "Storm/You're Not Alone". ** Sigh **

04. France: if you followed Destination Eurovision, then you might know neither Bilal nor Seemone were lighting my fire. I feel the need to mention Aysat, Gabriella and the Divaz would have got my full support, but it seems like I'm never allowed to root for my country once in a while. :( "Roi" is Madame Monsieur's doing: a standard power ballad that draws inspiration from "Rise Like a Phoenix" and Michel Berger's "Seras-tu là ?" during its piano-driven verses. To me, the melody is just dull, it's listenable yet not doing much for me. Lyrically, I can say the switches between French and English reflect Bilal's way of speaking in real life, the message though is very "been there, done that" imo and we've had it better formulated in the past. Vocally, I admit I do like Bilal's slightly veiled tone and think he could do great things with it if he learned how to sing properly and were interested in jazz music... which will never be the case, so let's move on :lol: He doesn't possess a powerful voice, hence why imo "Roi" was an ill-fitted choice for him. Not to mention his music style is more bitchy and upbeat than low-key and emotional, which makes me wonder if it was simply a strategic move to win DE given how chanson-oriented French televoters are. Anyway, the performance was what I expected: he delivered with the lower-pitched revamp, yet unsurprisingly was outshone by better vocalists. Visually, I'm conflicted: I'm glad because we finally had a staging with an actual concept, as well as polished backdrops and camera angles, HOWEVER they felt the need to sugar sugar with elements that made our effort look even more try-hard and in-your-face than before (the "unconventional" dancers, the big random words in the background...), it was too much, it's a song about acceptance, OK WE GET IT! Can't say I'm surprised about our result, there were much better options vocally and musically, and our staging ended up being counterproductive due to its blatant unsubtleness imo. I don't think we were robbed at all, if anything we beat much better songs imo. I don't know what we'll send next year, but I'd love us to stop sending messages of tolerance and whatnot, especially when it's done at the expense of musical merit. Let's focus on the music and live performance, shall we?

05. Italy: You know I loved me some Loredana Bertè in San Remo :p but Mahmood was actually in my top 3, so I was glad to see him win during this horrid situation when Ultimo and Il Volo were potential winners... :? "Soldi" - as a beat-driven R&B track - was a stand out effort and a clear contrast with the classic San Remo style of the usual winning songs. The studio does lack a bit of power to me, but the live performance showed the full potential of the composition. Mahmood sang well as usual, I found it annoying that many people blamed him for not looking cheerful... I mean, unlike Leonora (who definitely should have smiled more), there was no reason for him to smile like an idiot given the lyrics. Anyway, visually Italians were criticized for allegedly ruining their chances of winning with the staging: well, personally I really liked it. Firstly, they did the tricky blue/red colour scheme right, secondly the camera angles were on point, thirdly, the visuals were pared-down yet effective enough as far as the storytelling is concerned, it gave me a "Godfather" vibe and I had to bow down when I saw the Grand Theft Auto font on the backdrop xheat (I don't know if Mahmood is a gamer :mrgreen: if so, please marry me!). Only the dancers weren't that necessary imo, but they did have some use (during the bridge) and didn't distract from the singer anyway, so no issue for me. Styling-wise, I say yes: I want Mahmood's outfit. Another year, another strong package from Italy, that second place didn't surprise me at all, the song was so strong people couldn't forget how much of a vibe it was. At this point, I'm super happy for Mahmood yet disappointed he didn't win: at least we would have had someone who sounded like a winner and "Soldi" could have been an iconic and refreshing winning entry. The winner we needed, not the one we deserved. Pity. Glad to see his grand final performance is getting more views than the arcade boy. xqueenbitch

06. Spain: Spaniards tried something a bit different this year, and unfortunately I'll have to be biased here because it's not my thing. "La Venda" is a super upbeat party song that I'm sure is what Spaniards do listen to a lot. It's indeed rather catchy and energetic, but I can't help finding it cheap for some reason, it's a bit too "local funfair" for my liking. Vocally and theatrically, Miki was the perfect performer for that, the track didn't require demanding vocals but he was on point from start to finish and gave a lot energy on stage (Tamta, Michela and friends should take notes :cool:). Visually, I really dig what they did on stage apart from the puppet (that was weird): it was super colourful, the camera angles were good, the dancers were on fire and the house prop was a striking choice. I did enjoy the performance a lot despite not liking the song, which means the Spaniards must have done something right :lol: Result-wise, I don't understand why Miki was second-to-last with the juries xthink especially when S!sters and Michael were begging for no points... For once Spain did okay with televoters, they remain in the bottom 5, that was undeserved.

Overall, not a thrilling year for the pre-qualified nations. Here's my ranking:

1. Italy xclap
2. France/Spain xthink
3. Israel/Germany/United Kingdom xhand

Pawhlen

Very strong or very weak? That'd mean she did even worse consjdering that most of songs were supposedly weaker than hers, provided that she woulda performed it well.

Very weak, no way she would have finished higher than 14th in the televote if she had been in semi 1

musicfan

best of the prequalified
Spain. While I've listened to all kinds of music I don't have any particular bias to latin styles which isn't my most frequent listen. But I thought this had a potentially wider appeal if people opened themselves up to it, the performance wasn't bad either. Being placed last in the running order, by which time people probably just wanted to vote, likely didn't help it.

most overrated
Italy. The Italian language can sound nice and they have a reputation of being stylish/cool. But I think they have been overrated some years, the best Francesca and Francesco. This song never did anything for me, I can't remember the melody even now.

most desperate
France. I don't care if the singer has a big fanbase the song was really boring, that they had to spice it up with some silly stage show which seemed to cynically try and buy into the winner's idea last year (it actually looked like the singer was dancing with Netta).

most dead
Germany. It just didn't feel like there was much life there, in performance or staging. Stiff.

most 'don't give a shit'
Israel, an entry more like a sentimental schlager, very narrow appeal but those who adore the style may like it I guess.

most messy...UK
Started without any life and then later suddenly gained emotion in second half.

No ranking, apart from the Spanish one being the best.

NemesisNick

My Eurovision Song Contest 2019 official DVD, which I ordered last Friday, arrived today. There are three discs, the First Semi-Final is on disc 1, the Second Semi-Final is on disc 2 and the Grand Final is on disc 3. The discs also have bonus material.

Madonna's interval act (which happened near the end of the interval), and the interview with Madonna (which happened earlier in the interval), have been omitted from the Grand Final recording (disc 3) Presumably that's due to rights reasons.

As for the voting coverage on disc 3:
1) When Belarus appears in the jury voting, the incorrect results (as announced on the night) still appear at the bottom of the screen, Maria Vasilevich announced 12 points to Israel and the Green Room shot of Kobi receiving 12 jury points from Belarus still appeared (just like on the night). Thereafter the scoreboard showed the erroneous cumulative jury results.

2) Consequently the announcement of the televoting totals, from Spain to Sweden, was the same as on the night, even though with the corrected jury scores the announcement order would have been slightly different.

3) When Iceland's televote total was announced, instead of showing the Green Room shot of Hatari, an animated star logo and Icelandic flag was shown. Green Room shots of the other artists, who were shown on the night, appeared just as they did on the night.

I've only seen a few bits of disc 3. Hopefully I'll get round to watching all three discs in their entirety at some point.

Gabe

Super Moderator
Staff member
3) When Iceland's televote total was announced, instead of showing the Green Room shot of Hatari, an animated star logo and Icelandic flag was shown. Green Room shots of the other artists, who were shown on the night, appeared just as they did on the night.

Do you reckon you could get a video of this? I'd like to see it

esc87fan

I pre-ordered my copy of the DVD from Amazon UK 5 days after the final, and it's due to get to me within the next week and a half. I'm really curious about the bonus features, so I can't wait for it to get here - it will be my first official piece of ESC merchandise

Ezio

Veteran
Eurovision 2019 was very much down to flawless performances. For me it is the most striking year when flaws and flukes got punished harshly, while a lot of polish could help sell mediocre songs. And I think there is a very thin line now between make or break, given that almost every country is bringing its A-Game.

Some examples, I could go through all the songs, but I don't have the stamina, lol

Most painful: Portugal. In no universe I would have thought that this song could not qualify. I am still obsessed with Telemovéis and its failure is equally heartbreaking to Italy not winning in 2015. But there were avoidable flaws: the lights, the dresses, the camera angles. When the national final performance looks better than Eurovision, then there is a problem. (Same is true to a lesser extent for Sweden, lol. Melfest >>> ESC)

Really stings: Austria. I felt so lonely rooting for this song, because I felt it so deep inside of me and was full of hope and optimism like virtually never before. I thought, there is an audience out there exactly for this kind of song, that would vote off their fingers for this precious gem. And the 2nd rehearsal clip made my spirits soar. The staging nailed it! It gave me goosebumps and winner vibes. But when I found the jury show performance footage on a russian youtube website and the next day the live show performance, I witnessed a car crash and could see zero televotes incoming yet again. The vocals were atrocious, most likely due to her nerves.

Most obvious: Armenia: Walking out is one of my biggest earworms this year and probably one of the few songs I really like the most. But here are the problems: Girl has no idea what she is singing. Angry women never sold a song, neither would she. And the actual performance was a non-event.

Most obvious in the first semifinal: Belgium: This song would have been pre-programmed to advance to the final, but Belgium has built quite a record now of putting on a weak show and putting an inexperienced teenager on stage. From the first note, this was not meant to advance.

Most overdone: France. Nothing else to say here.

Most improved: Switzerland: This mediocre charts and Eurovision 2018 rip-off of a song was not on my list at all. It is too generic and pandering for me. However, the overdose of Sasha-Jean Baptiste polish worked miracles here. The show was a total banger and I kept raping the replay (replay yeah) button on youtube to watch the performance. Semifinal Live show performance is much slicker.

Most dated: United Kingdom: Someone must have totally confused Eurovision with X-Factor 2005. Everything from song choice to staging felt so out of touch with 2019. And the singer als reminded of the shy guy who never got laid but rises to 15 minutes of fame through X-Factor.

Nailed it: Netherlaaaaaaaaands (invoking Latvian spokesperson). I consider myself sensible and relatable to emotive songs, and this manufactured piece of pseudo-art fails on every level to click with me. Did not like before, don't like it now. And although the staging itself has some laughable moments for me, like this shitty fake piano and the burning lamp that is the centre of adoration and longing for Dunkin', it somehow was quite classy and stunning. Very conservative and not out of the box at all, which is also quite annoying, but it was also a nice counterpunch to this OTT hysterical show that the Israeli put on. At least a burning (lamp hanging over a) fake piano won Eurovision. Makemakes failed, Dunkin' slammed. Love love peace peace.

Honourable mentions:

Improved: Serbia, North Macedonia, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Australia
Let down: Greece, Germany, Hungary, Romania

esc87fan

So my DVD actually arrived the first week of July. I haven't watched the full set yet (I'm looking for a day or two when I can watch them all), but I did see what the bonus features were. Disc 1 is a featurette of the road to the contest featuring highlights from the national finals, pre-parties and behind the scenes in Tel Aviv, culminating in parts of the interview with the winner (video from the official ESC YouTube channel). Disc 2 is highlights from the winner's press conference (shown on the menu as "Interview with the winner"), and disc 3 has no bonus material

Ezio

Veteran
This vid slays me.

And this perodi too

NemesisNick

My in-depth review of the Eurovision Song Contest 2019 Grand Final is now available. Sorry it's taken me this long to complete it for various reasons. Admittedly nearly three calendar months have now past since the event, but better late than never. The link is below:
Eurovision Song Contest 2019 Grand Final

My Extended Voting Analysis of the Eurovision Song Contest 2019 Grand Final is also available.
Eurovision Song Contest 2019 Grand Final Extended Voting Analysis

This report also includes alternative voting scenarios:
a) Jury voting first, followed by televoting totals announced from bottom of the jury scoreboard to top of the jury scoreboard (BUT starting with the corrected set of Belarusian jury scores)
b) Jury voting first, followed by televoting totals from lowest televote score to highest televote score (as 2016 - 2018)
c) Televoting first, followed by jury totals from bottom of televote scoreboard to top of televote scoreboard (opposite of 2019)
d) Televoting first, followed by jury totals from lowest jury score to highest jury score (opposite of 2016 - 2018)
Click here to jump directly to the alternative voting scenarios.

NemesisNick

My Eurovision Song Contest League Tables 2019, which incorporate the results of the ESC 2019, are now available. Although the UK has had a generally poor performance in the Eurovision Song Contest for several years, the UK is still one of the best overall performance records in the history of the ESC. There are actually three separate tables; please click the link below:

Eurovision Song Contest League Tables 2019

Ezio

Veteran
The Netherlands contributed 50% to the greatest Alpine skier of all time, who is expected to announce his retirement. :-(

Austria in advance contributed the singer to Teach-In to win Eurovision 1975.

NemesisNick

I've found the following animated videos of announcing the televoting results in the Eurovision Song Contest 2019 Grand Final. Both start with the corrected jury totals as revealed by the EBU at 18:29 CEST (17:29 BST) on Wednesday 22 May 2019.

1) Televote Totals Going Up Jury Scoreboard: Israel to North Macedonia (like 2019 ESC final, but starting with corrected jury totals)

2) Televote Totals Last to First (like 2016 to 2018 inclusive)

So far I've not found animations of starting with the televote totals and inserting the jury totals, either from country with lowest televote score to highest televote score (opposite of 2019) or lowest to highest jury score (opposite of 2016 to 2018).

Top Bottom