Contact us

ESC 2019 General Discussion Thread

Realest

Happy new Season everyone.

40424786_1105168216344783_2340529985434943488_n.jpg

Lets Discuss here everything concerning Eurovision 2019.

Realest

I start with the most obvious one:

Next week it will be decided if Jerusalem or Tel Aviv will be the Host City.

anto475

SVT went with the EBU to Israel to meet with KAN IPBC. Another year, another generic Swedish contest. I hate Oikotimes but my God did they get it right with this editorial.

But in any case, with any company involved, 2019 Eurovision will be better no matter what, from those of 1979 and 1999. If those companies though involved, that great show will simply remain “great” and never ‘unique”. Same stage ideas, same logistics, same graphics, same scenery, same scoreboards, same low thirds. I wonder (and not only for Israel), isn’t anyone else in Europe designing stages than Florian?

Isn’t there any other company than OSRAM for lighting the stage? Isn’t there any other company than the one of Ola Melzig, constructing stages? Is Europe that far back in technology that only Swedish companies and Austria designers can save the world of Eurovision?

Realest

Very good. With SVT involved, we know that Eurovision is in good Hands.

mauve

Veteran
My wish for ESC 2019: That countries send fantastic rock songs again like Hungary and Albania in 2018! xdancexguitarxbb

tuorem

SVT went with the EBU to Israel to meet with KAN IPBC. Another year, another generic Swedish contest. I hate Oikotimes but my God did they get it right with this editorial.

It's certainly another case of rampant cronyism. The money must be too good to yearn to change teams and companies.
Let's not be fooled, there ARE other people out there who could do it just as well, if not better, while giving the contest a different flavour.
There is just no desire to give anyone else the opportunity to give the Eurovision framework a "facelift".

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Isn't it a major conflict of interest to have a participating nation broadcaster so involved with the hosting process. :? Why SVT? Why not any other broadcaster like BBC, TVE, YLE or whatever? There isn't anything that sets SVT above anyone else as a better broadcaster. We don't need their hand in everything.

Schlagerman1

I guess it all comes down to interest. BBC, TVE or YLE or any other broadcaster are just not interested in helping with ESC more than paying for it. SVT has the biggest interest in it, that is why they are doing it. (Also, this has nothing to do with all of SVTs MF-crew, it is most people in it that wants to do it, but there are also people from Germany and some other european countries as well in the group that usually does ESC, so it isn't just swedes...)

anto475

I guess it all comes down to interest. BBC, TVE or YLE or any other broadcaster are just not interested in helping with ESC more than paying for it. SVT has the biggest interest in it, that is why they are doing it. (Also, this has nothing to do with all of SVTs MF-crew, it is most people in it that wants to do it, but there are also people from Germany and some other european countries as well in the group that usually does ESC, so it isn't just swedes...)

You really think that it's only because SVT are the only ones who bother to do this? Even if that was the case, it's part of a greater problem though. Why do they always involve SVT? Why has Florian Wieder designed three of the last four stages? Why has OSRAM supplied lighting for the last four contests? To appropriate a quote from one of the most generic songs of the decade, I could go on...

Schlagerman1

You really think that it's only because SVT are the only ones who bother to do this? Even if that was the case, it's part of a greater problem though. Why do they always involve SVT? Why has Florian Wieder designed three of the last four stages? Why has OSRAM supplied lighting for the last four contests? To appropriate a quote from one of the most generic songs of the decade, I could go on...

Well what I wrote has nothing to do with my opinion about it, it was just me thinking out loud what could be a reason. Sure I would like to see someone else help Israel this year, but it is what it is. As long we got ESC I am happy at least.

AlekS

Veteran
Using a quote from oikoshits is like laying a turd in the middle of your own appartment and smudging it all over the place.
They are even more biased & predictable than the EBU :lol:

If they weren't busy with hating my country in 2017, counting Russian money and unglued their lips from Kirkorov's dick then maybe...
just maybe
tumblr_n57kuc3bdu1tviakuo5_250.gif

they would have noticed that (for the 1st time in ESC's history) we had an open call for bids/tenders for every company.

4 companies applied for the stage design: 2 Ukrainian, 1 Austrian and 1 German.
I've seen them all :cool: 1 Ukrainian firm had no clue - imagine an outdoors "stage" at the village square, another Ukrainian company offered their usual vertical cubical stuff for stadiums which didn't work indoors, the German one had been involved in 2011 and their design was as simple as then (not counting the idea with 2011 green room, just talking about the stage), so the obvious choice was Wieder. NOBODY else applied so puuuulease :rolleyes:

The same story happened to OSRAM.

I dislike the same people recycling the same ideas but ask everyone else why they don't want to apply ;)

ps. The EBU tried to push at UA:pBC but we flipped them off from the beginning. Can't believe that inviting Björkman was our idea. Thankfully those people have been fired :lol:

Sean

Admin
Staff member

It hurts me to say this but they've hit the nail on the head. Such is the modern age though, it's all about the highest bidder. As others have suggested I'm sure the EBU would change things if they negotiated a more lucrative lighting contract, staging contract, production contract etc.

I hope that Israel will realise that they have a very unique position in Eurovision and will reflect this in their hosting. In some weird sense, I would almost hope the government could get involved to push this idea!

Ezio

Veteran
I think the series of winners is quite funny:

2014 - Austria wins, after ORF almost withdrew because of 2013
2016 - Ukraine, after a year off
2017 - Portugal, after a year off
2018 - Israel, after their dramatic farewell the year before with a new broadcaster now

So, who's left for winning in 2019, except for Sweden, which is always a safe bet? Where's disruption now?

Maybe Iceland or Ireland, after almost boycotting they decide to come back with furor.

Schlagerman1

I think the series of winners is quite funny:

2014 - Austria wins, after ORF almost withdrew because of 2013
2016 - Ukraine, after a year off
2017 - Portugal, after a year off
2018 - Israel, after their dramatic farewell the year before with a new broadcaster now

So, who's left for winning in 2019, except for Sweden, which is always a safe bet? Where's disruption now?

Maybe Iceland or Ireland, after almost boycotting they decide to come back with furor.

Iceland would be the most suitible I guess out of those two, Eurovision has a tendency of doing things in cycles...
Israels win this year was being on the 45th anniversary on debut, 40 years since first win, and 20 years since last win.
Iceland having 2nd places in 1999 and 2009, would be a third time the charm kinda thing.
Ireland could be a cycle as Eurovision 2020 would be 50 years since Ireland won first time, and 40 years since 2nd time.
Or maybe Russia, after missing the final for the first time last year, they come back with a killer song and grabs the win?

Are potentially more countries that could be the next "coming from nowhere", which is almost interesting. :D

Realest

Semi Final1: Tuesday, 14th May 2019
Semi Final2: Thursday, 16th May 2019
Grand Final: Saturday, 18th May 2019

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Golden boy in the promo video got me hyped. xheat make it the year of hot ethno pop. xbow Tel Aviv looks super great also.

Top Bottom