Contact us

ESC 2014 in Copenhagen - all the news

A-lister

Veteran
Re: ESC 2014 in Denmark - where should we host it?

Parken. Copenhagen. This is a piss easy choice. Do not make the same mistake that Sweden did.

Actually, it's not that easy considering Parken's age and bad acoustics... it may look easy on paper, but reality is a bit difference.

SRBIJA

Banned

OMG Farum arena where WTA Tennis event was held? :lol: No please.

Copenhagen arena xshrug

A-lister

Veteran

OMG Farum arena where WTA Tennis event was held? :lol: No please.

Copenhagen arena xshrug

Copenhagen Arena would have probably been the best option... but then Denmark would have to win again in 2014 since it's not ready until 2015 :lol:

QwaarJet

ESC Moderator

Actually, it's not that easy considering Parken's age and bad acoustics... it may look easy on paper, but reality is a bit difference.

Age? It's only 20 or so years old. It's still modern. As for the acoustics, well I'm sure there is more that can be done for that since ESC was last there. Besides, there doesn't really seem to be an alternative. Boxen is fine but is too far out of the way and Herning would be even harder than Malmo to host in.

No Name

Parken would be my favourite, if they just cut off half the stadium and had a real stage unlike in 2001.

I'm pretty sure they won't pull off a similar stage this time. The past 5 years our DMGP-stages have almost been ESC-worthy, and imo far more advanced and beautiful than the ones in Melodifestivalen. Admittedly, DMGP has a questionable musical quality with only little diversity in the line-ups, but our stages have been the best.

To get a feeling of what might await you in Herning (either as TV-viewers or live-audience) I've picked a song from DMGP 2013 which was held in the arena now bidding to host ESC 2014:

No Name

There are ways to work around this issue and DR's got an entire year to work it out. I attended a Muse-concert in Parken myself a few years ago, and the sound was more than fine to me, so it very much depends on the event, it seems. The concert was even reviewed by Gaffa (one of our leading alternative music magazines, usually very critical of the sound in Parken) and they even described the sound and acoustics as phenomenal.

Google Oversæt

A-lister

Veteran

Age? It's only 20 or so years old. It's still modern. As for the acoustics, well I'm sure there is more that can be done for that since ESC was last there. Besides, there doesn't really seem to be an alternative. Boxen is fine but is too far out of the way and Herning would be even harder than Malmo to host in.

Well, 20 years is "kinda" old, and being primarily a stadium and not a modern multi-arena aswell has to be taken into account.

If they can manage with the acoustics amongst other things, then sure go ahead with Parken! I mean I agree that ideally Copenhagen would be the best place, and I would love a big ESC...

I just hope Denmark learned something from 2001, that was the most awful stage and audience plan solution in an ESC since 2000... it literary looked liked a convention center meeting with some random entertainment on stage :lol:

A-lister

Veteran

There are ways to work around this issue and DR's got an entire year to work it out. I attended a Muse-concert in Parken myself a few years ago, and the sound was more than fine to me, so it very much depends on the event, it seems.

But the problem with Parken is how it'll sound and look like in a TV production, sure for regular concerts it might be good enough...

Quent91

Yeah, I'm sure that about the acoustics, technology has evolved a lot in 12 years so we I'm pretty confident they can do it in Parken and still get a good sound ;)

A-lister

Veteran

Yeah, I'm sure that about the acoustics, technology has evolved a lot in 12 years so we I'm pretty confident they can do it in Parken and still get a good sound ;)

But the problem is that Parken hasn't really evolved, it's still the same stadium...

Maybe someone from Denmark here can confirm if they upgraded or re-built it somehow? xshrug

No Name

DR officially started the process of finding a city and venue today, and rumor has it that it's been suggested to host the semi-finals in Herning and the final in Copenhagen. No idea if it's actually true.

A-lister

Veteran

DR officially started the process of finding a city and venue today, and rumor has it that it's been suggested to host the semi-finals in Herning and the final in Copenhagen. No idea if it's actually true.

Hmm, that'd be logistically stupid :lol:

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member

Anything but Copenhagen is unacceptable. Just think about those poor delegations, press and fans having to travel to a remote city. Malmo at least was easily accessable via train from Copenhagen.

No Name

Hmm, that'd be logistically stupid :lol:

It'd be a total mess. :lol:
Denmark may not be that big as far as travelling within the country goes, but I still prefer the traditional solution with one city/region hosting the event. Hopefully it's just a rumor made out of thin air.

A-lister

Veteran

Anything but Copenhagen is unacceptable. Just think about those poor delegations, press and fans having to travel to a remote city. Malmo at least was easily accessable via train from Copenhagen.

Well, Denmark is hardly a huge country, so it wouldn't take that long traveling...

I think there are two main arguments for choosing Jylland instead that are being discussed in DK:

- The arena is newer and better fit for this purpose
- A political argument to boost Jylland and not just the capital... in Denmark there's always a fight between Själland and Jylland with poor Fyn being stuck in between :lol:

No Name

Actually this situation reminds me a bit of last year where everyone expected ESC 2013 to be hosted in Stockholm.
Aarhus is within reach from Herning though, so if Herning gets chosen, I could easily see Aarhus playing a role in ESC 2014. Aarhus has the hotel-capacity, great nightlife etc. so I'm guessing that Herning's infrastructure and connection to Aarhus would be massively improved.

Living in Aarhus myself, I wouldn't mind an ESC-vibe here, but I dunno...for the good of ESC I guess Copenhagen is the optimal solution for most people.

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member

Actually this situation reminds me a bit of last year where everyone expected ESC 2013 to be hosted in Stockholm.
Aarhus is within reach from Herning though, so if Herning gets chosen, I could easily see Aarhus playing a role in ESC 2014. Aarhus has the hotel-capacity, great nightlife etc. so I'm guessing that Herning's infrastructure and connection to Aarhus would be massively improved.

Living in Aarhus myself, I wouldn't mind an ESC-vibe here, but I dunno...for the good of ESC I guess Copenhagen is the optimal solution for most people.

We also need to take into consideration that Aarhus doesn't have an international airport and imagine getting people from Copenhagen takes four hours or so.

No Name

Well, Denmark is hardly a huge country, so it wouldn't take that long traveling...

I think there are two main arguments for choosing Jylland instead that are being discussed in DK:

- The arena is newer and better fit for this purpose
- A political argument to boost Jylland and not just the capital... in Denmark there's always a fight between Själland and Jylland with poor Fyn being stuck in between :lol:

Yeah, immediately after Emmelie's fight there was a huge verbal fight going on between the inhabitants of Jylland and Copenhagen (by people from Jylland anyone from Sjælland is automatically referred to as a person from Copenhagen though).

People from Jutland uses the argument that Copenhagen always get all the attention and that people from Copenhagen are just arrogant people being into themselves afraid to acknowledge the fact that Denmark is more than just Copenhagen. People from Copenhagen on the other hand argues that Jutland is only fields and cows and that it would be an embarrassment for Denmark to host it there...neither of them are correct. :lol:

I myself was born and raised just outside Copenhagen, but living in Aarhus now I don't really mind that much who's gonna host. Slightly preferring Copenhagen but I could see them working something acceptable in Herning too.

cassio

I think Herning would be the biggest revenge over the fans........ no near by airport no train connection to Billund Airport, Bus drive 1 1/2 hour.

No Hotel Room for fans the will have to rent removable Barracks or Camping :lol: no tourist attractions within 70 - 100 km.

Herning will make so much money on drunken "Dancing Queens" (I love that expression)

Top Bottom