Contact us

ESC 2012 FINAL DISCUSSION THREAD

SpZ

My argument is nothing about Turkey's song. I predicted Turkish song as 7th before the final and it came 7th. I haven't seen Turkey's song as a winner. I don't understand why you relate it with Turkey's song. Since my location is Turkey?

When Norway won with Alexandre Rybak, all world listened to Fairy Tale on the radios repeatedly for months. Do you really think Euphoria has a similar effect and musical quality? I really don't think it has some kind of music. It's not about taste, what Loreen presented was some creativity and a schizophrenic performance, which was pretty different and effective.

Umm at least in Estonia and I'd say in many other countries, euphoria has had a bigger effect on chart by far than fairy tale. (not saying that the song by itself is better)

wayneofway

Umm at least in Estonia and I'd say in many other countries, euphoria has had a bigger effect on chart by far than fairy tale. (not saying that the song by itself is better)

Yes, according to chart it's perfect. But when it comes to who really listens to it, I don't think we have the same performance.

If we consider the melody, Eupharia is just following:

F#m E
Euphoria
A D
An everlasting piece of art
F#m E
A beating love within my heart
A D
We're going up-up-up-up-up-up-up

FallenAngelII

Yes, according to chart it's perfect. But when it comes to who really listens to it, I don't think we have the same performance.

If we consider the melody, Eupharia is just following:

F#m E
Euphoria
A D
An everlasting piece of art
F#m E
A beating love within my heart
A D
We're going up-up-up-up-up-up-up
What exactly were you trying to prove by breaking it down by chords? That's pretty much how any modern song's chorus is built up.

wayneofway

What exactly were you trying to prove by breaking it down by chords? That's pretty much how any modern song's chorus is built up.

It's only musical part of Euphoria. That's repeated seven times in the song and it's actually only melodical part of the song. I've previously said that Euphoria is "DJ stylization of a ten seconds melody".

Nike

It's funny how a person from Turkey bash Euphoria when his own country has one of the most overrated songs this year. The turkish entry looked so lame, awful, bad, weak after Loreen's amazing performance. Tuekey should never ended in the top 10 if not their pathetic DIASPORA!! BUUUUUUUH FOR TURKEY! :(

FallenAngelII

It's only musical part of Euphoria. That's repeated seven times in the song and it's actually only melodical part of the song. I've previously said that Euphoria is "DJ stylization of a ten seconds melody".
Show me 10 modern song whose chorus consists of more than 4 chords.

NemesisNick

I watched the ESC Grand Final in its entirety. What a great night of entertainment it was.

The UK's entry was grossly under-rated. Engelbert gave an outstanding performance of an excellent song. *25th (second last) and 12 points was an insult. *He deserved a top ten placing.

I'm disgusted Russia came second; to me their song sounded like a load of garbage. Thank God it didn't win. Several other songs were better and deserved higher placings. During Russia's grand final performance I shouted "boo" and "off" several times. Russia shouldn't have qualified; Latvia or Finland deserved the slot in the grand final it took. Having qualified against my wishes, Russia should have come last with nul points.

Other Songs:

Under-rated:
Denmark: ought to have been 11th to 15th.
Hungary: deserved about 10th to 13th, not 24th.
Iceland, Romania, Greece: deserved top 5.
Ireland: "Waterline" not as good as "Lipstick", but still deserved top 10.
Italy: deserved a little higher than 9th.
Malta: deserved top 10.
Spain: deserved 6th or 7th.

Over-rated:
Albania: (deserved bottom 10, not 5th)
Azerbaijan: (9th or 10th might have been fine but not 4th)
Germany: (should have been 11th to 15th, not 8th)
Turkey

Shouldn't have qualified:
Albania, Russia, Moldova: Latvia and Finland, plus either Belgium or San Marino deserved their grand final slots.
Norway, Ukraine: The Netherlands and Portugal deserved their grand final slots.

Worst outfits:
Denmark: an odd mixture, e.g. cellist's printed purple hoodie, drummer's printed sleeveless T-shirt, lead singer's sailor hat (what was that for?).
Germany: whole group sloppily dressed, why did the lead singer have a hat?

I joined in and copied the dance routine (mostly arm movements, due to lack of space) for lively dance-along songs e.g. Cyprus, Norway, Greece, Sweden, Turkey. *Doing so added to the fun.

Winner: Sweden wasn't the one I wanted to win; I voted for Iceland (though I also saw Romania, Greece, Malta, Ireland and Serbia as worthy winners). *However as the voting progressed, I kept hoping Sweden would win just to keep the Russian grannies off the top.

An in-depth review is on my blog.
http://www.nemesis-nick.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/eurovision-song-contest-2012-grand.html

wayneofway

Show me 10 modern song whose chorus consists of more than 4 chords.

Well my critique is not the number of chords. There are great songs with 3-4 chords, some of which are great Beatles songs.

My critique is that, Euphoria has a melody just in its chorus part, which is repeated 7 times in the song. The song hasn't got any melody other than chorus. That's why I say it has 10 seconds melody. For instance, Beatles - Love me do has three chords but it has a great harmony of melodies for overall song.

wayneofway

It's funny how a person from Turkey bash Euphoria when his own country has one of the most overrated songs this year. The turkish entry looked so lame, awful, bad, weak after Loreen's amazing performance. Tuekey should never ended in the top 10 if not their pathetic DIASPORA!! BUUUUUUUH FOR TURKEY! :(

This is nothing about Turkey. So you say, if your conuntry's song is overrated (in your opinion), you dont have the right to critique on the other songs?

I agree with you, Loreen had a great performance. But the song, not one that all people may enjoy while listening to it.

wayneofway

I watched the ESC Grand Final in its entirety. What a great night of entertainment it was.

The UK's entry was grossly under-rated. Engelbert gave an outstanding performance of an excellent song. *25th (second last) and 12 points was an insult. *He deserved a top ten placing.

I'm disgusted Russia came second; to me their song sounded like a load of garbage. Thank God it didn't win. Several other songs were better and deserved higher placings. During Russia's grand final performance I shouted "boo" and "off" several times. Russia shouldn't have qualified; Latvia or Finland deserved the slot in the grand final it took. Having qualified against my wishes, Russia should have come last with nul points.

Other Songs:

Under-rated:
Denmark: ought to have been 11th to 15th.
Hungary: deserved about 10th to 13th, not 24th.
Iceland, Romania, Greece: deserved top 5.
Ireland: "Waterline" not as good as "Lipstick", but still deserved top 10.
Italy: deserved a little higher than 9th.
Malta: deserved top 10.
Spain: deserved 6th or 7th.

Over-rated:
Albania: (deserved bottom 10, not 5th)
Azerbaijan: (9th or 10th might have been fine but not 4th)
Germany: (should have been 11th to 15th, not 8th)
Turkey

Shouldn't have qualified:
Albania, Russia, Moldova: Latvia and Finland, plus either Belgium or San Marino deserved their grand final slots.
Norway, Ukraine: The Netherlands and Portugal deserved their grand final slots.

Worst outfits:
Denmark: an odd mixture, e.g. cellist's printed purple hoodie, drummer's printed sleeveless T-shirt, lead singer's sailor hat (what was that for?).
Germany: whole group sloppily dressed, why did the lead singer have a hat?

I joined in and copied the dance routine (mostly arm movements, due to lack of space) for lively dance-along songs e.g. Cyprus, Norway, Greece, Sweden, Turkey. *Doing so added to the fun.

Winner: Sweden wasn't the one I wanted to win; I voted for Iceland (though I also saw Romania, Greece, Malta, Ireland and Serbia as worthy winners). *However as the voting progressed, I kept hoping Sweden would win just to keep the Russian grannies off the top.

An in-depth review is on my blog.
http://www.nemesis-nick.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/eurovision-song-contest-2012-grand.html

Engelbert was my favourite to be winner. I think, the most of votes are sent by teenagers in ESC. Maybe that's why Loreen won, and Engelbert came last but one with such a great song.

Franco

eurovision-2012.jpg

:mrgreen:

Funny! :lol:

NemesisNick

I'm not sure this is the best place for this, ideally the mods ought to start a fresh thread.

Following Loreen's win, Sweden have now won 5 (five) times.

1974 ABBA "Waterloo" 24 points (winning margin 6 points ahead of Italy, N.B. different scoring system then)
1984 Herrey's "Diggi-loo Diggy-ley" 145 points (winning margin 8 points ahead of Ireland)
1991 Carola "Fångad Av En Stormvind" 146 points (tied with France, but decided on 10 point votes)
1999 Charlotte Nilsson "Take Me To Your Heaven" 163 points (winning margin 17 points ahead of Iceland)
2012 Loreen "Euphoria" 372 points (runaway victory, winning margin 113 points ahead of Russia)

Notice also that Sweden's latest gap between wins 1999 to 2012 is their longest to-date (13 years).

That also ends the 16 year run of a different winner each year 1996 to 2011 inclusive (Ireland, United Kingdom, Israel, Sweden, Denmark, Estonia, Latvia, Turkey, Ukraine, Greece, Finland, Serbia, Russia, Norway, Germany, Azerbaijan), the longest in ESC history.

Being as Sweden's last win "Take Me To Your Heaven" was in 1999, we now need to start the list of a different winner each year from 2000 Denmark. Thus there has now been a 13 year run of a different winner each year 2000 to 2012 inclusive. It will now take 3 years of winning countries not in the 2000 to 2012 run (Denmark, Estonia, Latvia, Turkey, Ukraine, Greece, Finland, Serbia, Russia, Norway, Germany, Azerbaijan, Sweden) to equal the previous 16 year (1996 to 2011) record, and 4 years of winning countries not in that said run to beat it.

More interesting statistics in the aftermath of the 2012 ESC Grand Final are available on my blog.
http://www.nemesis-nick.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/eurovision-song-contest-statistics-2012.html

CypriotGirl

Veteran
Euphoria is one of the most played ESC winners in the radio. If they don't play it in Turkey, it's not our fault. It's not a çiftetelli you see, to be played in Turkey...

Here it plays in many radios, I heard it many times in many different radio channels, and it's number 1 in iTunes charts of so many countries...

wayneofway

Euphoria is one of the most played ESC winners in the radio. If they don't play it in Turkey, it's not our fault. It's not a çiftetelli you see, to be played in Turkey...

Here it plays in many radios, I heard it many times in many different radio channels, and it's number 1 in iTunes charts of so many countries...

So you think çiftetelli plays in Turkish radios? :D If they play çiftetelli, I'm sure nobody is going to listen to that radio. and please come on Turkish traditional music is not so different then Greek traditional music. You and I know nobody listens to traditional music today as all people prefer rock and pop songs everywhere in the world.

Well my comparision is simple. For instance, when Helena Paparizou won the contest, my number one was played on Turkish radios repeatedly, over and over, for one year. It was the same for Fairy Tale or Wild Dance too. Because they have really strong musical melodies. Euphoria is not one of the songs. It is not a type of song to be the talk of the town and sing by amateur musicians too. One year later nobody is going to remember the melody of Euphoria (actually it doesnt have one), but My Number One, Fairy Tale and Wild Dance will be remembered for years.

Nike

This is nothing about Turkey. So you say, if your conuntry's song is overrated (in your opinion), you dont have the right to critique on the other songs?

I agree with you, Loreen had a great performance. But the song, not one that all people may enjoy while listening to it.

This is nothing about Turkey? What do this mean? We aren't allowed to discuss Turkey but only Sweden? This is a thread about the grand final and Turkey participated in this final then we should be allowed to give critique to Turkey, right? Don't tell me that you enjoy the tukish entry? You should critiqize your own entry and its undeserved placement before bashing the runaway winner...

Nike

So you think çiftetelli plays in Turkish radios? :D If they play çiftetelli, I'm sure nobody is going to listen to that radio. and please come on Turkish traditional music is not so different then Greek traditional music. You and I know nobody listens to traditional music today as all people prefer rock and pop songs everywhere in the world.

Well my comparision is simple. For instance, when Helena Paparizou won the contest, my number one was played on Turkish radios repeatedly, over and over, for one year. It was the same for Fairy Tale or Wild Dance too. Because they have really strong musical melodies. Euphoria is not one of the songs. It is not a type of song to be the talk of the town and sing by amateur musicians too. One year later nobody is going to remember the melody of Euphoria (actually it doesnt have one), but My Number One, Fairy Tale and Wild Dance will be remembered for years.

Really? I'm pretty sure most of Europe don't remember My Number One and Wild dances either... Maybe Fairytale but that song won only 3 years ago.

Strange you, hype those entries and still you can't write their titles correct. It's FAIRYTALE and WILD DANCES!

BTW, before the contest a turkish person said that Euphoria was played on Turkish radio.

wayneofway

This is nothing about Turkey? What do this mean? We aren't allowed to discuss Turkey but only Sweden? This is a thread about the grand final and Turkey participated in this final then we should be allowed to give critique to Turkey, right? Don't tell me that you enjoy the tukish entry? You should critiqize your own entry and its undeserved placement before bashing the runaway winner...

I'm sorry, I think you get me wrong. I didnt mean you cannot criticise Turkey. Of course you can, you can hate Turkey's song too.

It's just about, well, I was talking about Sweden's song nothing about Turkey, you meant your song is overrated so how dare you critique Sweden's perfect song. Well Turkish song is not my song as Sweden's song is not yours. So I think I don't have to defend Turkey's song.

..and if you ask my opinion about Turkish song, I personally like the song and when I firstly listened to it I said it will be in top 10. But I clearly see it's not very suitable for the taste of Europe as most of people don't like it. If that much people don't like this song, there's something wrong with it. It should be Can's performance, lyrics or some other things I've not resolved it yet.

wayneofway

Really? I'm pretty sure most of Europe don't remember My Number One and Wild dances either... Maybe Fairytale but that song won only 3 years ago.

Strange you, hype those entries and still you can't write their titles correct. It's FAIRYTALE and WILD DANCES!

BTW, before the contest a turkish person said that Euphoria was played on Turkish radio.

Sorry for typos and thank you for correcting me. Okay this is your opinion. IMO, Fairytale, Wild Dances and My Number One are the most spectacular winners of the last ten years as they are unforgettable songs.

...and of course they play Euphoria in Turkish radios, but it's very rare compared to these spectacular winners.

Top Bottom