Contact us

ESC 2010 FINAL - DISCUSSION

teroh

CiprianZisu said:
she had no stage show and no dancing/ no entertainment factor.

Welcome to the Song Contest.

We had that discussion, I know. So let's shorten this a little: The scoreboard says I'm right and you're not. Lena herself obviously entertained much more people than Turkey's pyro show or Romania's burning piano did. Deal with it.

By the way, Belgium had even fewer show elements than Lena (she had those starlights dancing on the stage in the chorus), and Belgium got a very good 6th place. Undeserved, too? :lol:

JackBauer

Except for Russia, who won the contest mainly because of the east votes but still wasn't totally forgoten by the rest, Finland, Serbia, Norway & Germany all won by taking high points in all europe; from Scandinavia, to East & from the Mediteranean countries to the West & the Balkans.

So please people, say you find the performance awful, that you dislike the song very much but stop using the word UNDERSERVED everytime your favorite didn't win after every contest.

You just have different taste that's all, but a country who in a contest receive top 5 points from Croatia, Finland, Ireland, Malta & Ukraine seems like a country who deserved a victory or a top 5 to me :p

If you're looking for underserved, look for Russia in Moscow where she received only points from ex soviets or Russian diaspora or At Fyrom in the year 2004 to 2007 when they qualified with the votes from the same 8/9 countries only every year.

Critize Serbia this year, say that you don't like the song and that it is not bottom 5 because of serbian diaspora's votes but don't act like a kid and call it an underseved winner the year the country wins with over 260 points with 7 from iceland, belarus & 8 from Germany & 12 from Finland for example!

Canuck

^^ Well worded, sir.

scami

CiprianZisu said:
she had no stage show and no dancing/ no entertainment factor.
she is the worst winner in my 23 years of existence.
hardcore truth

I have a feeling you're Romanian ;) if so, you know that expressions: "nu te poti.... in gusturile omului"? :D
Well, that's it ;)

P.S. I kind of like the song, not unhappy with her winning - but i can understand perfectly how you feel (happened to me some years, too!)

Milos-BC

JackBauer said:
Except for Russia, who won the contest mainly because of the east votes but still wasn't totally forgoten by the rest, Finland, Serbia, Norway & Germany all won by taking high points in all europe; from Scandinavia, to East & from the Mediteranean countries to the West & the Balkans.

So please people, say you find the performance awful, that you dislike the song very much but stop using the word UNDERSERVED everytime your favorite didn't win after every contest.

You just have different taste that's all, but a country who in a contest receive top 5 points from Croatia, Finland, Ireland, Malta & Ukraine seems like a country who deserved a victory or a top 5 to me :p

This is what I agree with. I think that the German victory is excellent for the future of the contest. Lena totally deserved to win, the song was popular before the contest, it is popular now AFTER the contest, and Europe liked it. I think this is just an example of how this really IS becoming a SONG contest, and ANYONE can win with the right song, and it doesn't need to have a show at all. Rybak and Marija proved that as well. I hope that UK will take things more serious next year, as BBC saw now that even a big 4 country can win the contest with the right song.

JackBauer said:
Critize Serbia this year, say that you don't like the song and that it is not bottom 5 because of serbian diaspora's votes but don't act like a kid and call it an underseved winner the year the country wins with over 260 points with 7 from iceland, belarus & 8 from Germany & 12 from Finland for example!

Eeerm, I don't understand? :? Albania gave it 3 points, is that because of diaspora? Were the Estonian and Latvian points in the semi (Slovakian too) also the "diaspora" points? Of course, if he hates our entry he can bash it, I don't care, but YOU don't need to tell him what should he do, as that is only your opinion as well ;) I saw that you have some problems with each and every entry Serbia sends, so that is why I reacted now.

Oh, and in that case Marija won because of diaspora as well? And Kon probably flopped because diaspora voted for him?

94ayd

Milos-BC said:
This is what I agree with. I think that the German victory is excellent for the future of the contest. Lena totally deserved to win, the song was popular before the contest, it is popular now AFTER the contest, and Europe liked it. I think this is just an example of how this really IS becoming a SONG contest, and ANYONE can win with the right song, and it doesn't need to have a show at all. Rybak and Marija proved that as well. I hope that UK will take things more serious next year, as BBC saw now that even a big 4 country can win the contest with the right song.

Kinda see it with Marija, but how can you say Alexander had no show. The weird dancers and his violin, as well as the backing singers who were walking all around the stage. And even Marija had her overemotional backing vocalists, while they weren't visible on stage when Lena was performing. ;)

AlekS

Veteran
^ Maria and Lena both had only backing vocalists. I can't compare both of them to Lordi, for instance ;)

Rybak had dancers, backing vocalists and pyros so there was a "show".

In any case any appealing performance (I'll never rate songs higher than performances on ESC) has chances to win ESC. Monsters with bizzare costumes or a young girl that looks like she visited some karaoke bar & she truly enjoys herself.

JackBauer

Milos-BC said:
I saw that you have some problems with each and every entry Serbia sends, so that is why I reacted now.

Dude, Serbia is like my favorite esc country with Sweden and i'm gonna spend two weeks this summer in Belgrade & Novi Sad :? :?

I only don't like Serbia 09 and i consider 2007 & 2008 as true masterpierces.

I love 2010's entry also,(well not at first because of haircut :lol: ) i just pointed out it did better that a lot of country because of some friendly's voting in the final that's all,i could have use the russian's entry for sure, it's a better example.

I said Finland, Norway, Germany & SERBIA were all deserved winner who got points from all europe if you read me correctly :? .

Now there is no denying there is an Armenian, Russian, Serbian diaspora and so many other voting for you no matter what, even if they songs are amazing or very bad lilke 2009.

I don't want to seem disrecpectful at all the Serbians fans around here, and why i am at it Turkish & Greek fans (& i will spend a few days in Istanbul & Athens also this summer by the way) but a very few of you act like it's a personnal attack on you & your country anytime someone dislike your song and say you're enjoying friendly votes and i think a lot of you need to grow up on that.

But that's not you in particular, i have nothing agains you at all and as i said i love Serbia so i hope you won't be mad at me, it's just a general feeling i have on this forum and i said after something you posted like i could i have done it after someone who is 1000000 times worse and less friendly than you ;)

hawadharma

Ukraine 2010 is my Estonia 2009. :D
Perfect, deserving winner, but failed to gain votes. :?

theonewithesc

OMG! I can't believe that TRT didn't broadcast the interval act with Madcon, it is amazing! I just watched it on YouTube! Great!!!
I made my mind, this was the best Eurovision in 00's! (I didn't remember before =) )

I watch that part again and again and again!!! It makes me happy :D
Congratulations and thank you Norway! =)))

alca

theonewithesc said:
I made my mind, this was the best Eurovision in 00's! (I didn't remember before =) )
Actually the best of the 10's. We're in a new decade. ;)

wittgenstein

is there a possibility that turkey was the televote winner and germany the jury? if u look at the points? and the difference?

Milos-BC

94ayd said:
Kinda see it with Marija, but how can you say Alexander had no show. The weird dancers and his violin, as well as the backing singers who were walking all around the stage. And even Marija had her overemotional backing vocalists, while they weren't visible on stage when Lena was performing. ;)

Well, IMO, that can hardly be called a "show" especially if by show we consider something like Sakis had last year. Anyway, I think Rybak had no fancy show, or no show at all on the stage. He won purely because of the song and not because of violin or dancing gimmicks. If we look that way, than none of the ballads or the slower songs this year (some faster ones too) didn't have a show either. Marija had a "show", but I'd rather call it a "stage presentation", which can be applied to Rybak as well, and that is a lower form of presentation than "the show". Just my opinion of course. The only thing I see as a show there indeed are fireworks at the end.

JackBauer said:
I only don't like Serbia 09 and i consider 2007 & 2008 as true masterpierces.

I love 2010's entry also,(well not at first because of haircut :lol: ) i just pointed out it did better that a lot of country because of some friendly's voting in the final that's all,i could have use the russian's entry for sure, it's a better example.

I said Finland, Norway, Germany & SERBIA were all deserved winner who got points from all europe if you read me correctly :? .

Yes, I understand that, and like I said you are free to have your opinion and even hate all of our entries, it's all your right ( I also think we had a pretty bad song in 2009, and it didn't deserve to go through), and that is not why I reacted (if that was the reason than I would certainly react on each and every negative comment, but I don't. People have different tastes).

The sentence "Blame the Serbs, for example...." is what made me react. I also think Russia is extremely overrated this year, and didn't even deserve to qualify. But I never said "Blame the Russians, for example......". I also liked almost every Russian entry in the past (forget about 2008 and 2009 :p ), and most of them deserved the placement they got (the accent is on "MOST", and it is yet again my own subjective opinion). I liked the French entry a lot this year, as well as last year's entry which grew on me after a while, and both deserved great results they got.

JackBauer said:
Now there is no denying there is an Armenian, Russian, Serbian diaspora and so many other voting for you no matter what, even if they songs are amazing or very bad lilke 2009.

That is certainly true, but those aren't the only "diaspora's" in Europe. And in particular, the Serbian one didn't show itself very much these last 2 years. I consider 13th place a very good result, left half of the scoreboard, and the golden middle. Last year Kon didn't pass, as expected and deserved, and I see nothing really bad about it. Also, none of the ex-yu countries made the top 10 this year.

JackBauer said:
I don't want to seem disrecpectful at all the Serbians fans around here, and why i am at it Turkish & Greek fans (& i will spend a few days in Istanbul & Athens also this summer by the way) but a very few of you act like it's a personnal attack on you & your country anytime someone dislike your song and say you're enjoying friendly votes and i think a lot of you need to grow up on that.

No, I didn't take it as a personal attack, even if that seems so, I explained above why I reacted so. It wasn't anything that was supposed to be provocative. I just wanted an explanation, because I saw that you wrote that same thing a couple of times in the past too (where I ignored them, but yesterday I couldn't). Now that I got it, everything is clear :cool:

Cheers

markovs

hawadharma said:
Ukraine 2010 is my Estonia 2009. :D
Perfect, deserving winner, but failed to gain votes. :?

I 100% agree with you. I love both winners 2009 / 2010 and am happy with them, but the Estonian and Ukraine songs were my favourite of each competition, but a bit too different to win. 'Sweet People' was an astonishing performance, for me, and a highly modern / original song, brilliantly sung. I cannot stop playing it.

As an aside, my 2nd favourite song this year was Estonia's 'Siren'. Absolutely fantastic!!!

Galandar

I had posted this article in Azerbaijani thread at ESCforums but I have decided to post it here as well cause all of us remember how people were blaming Azerbaijan in "spending millions of euros" and "buying" the contest.

Azerbaijan announces budget for preparation to Eurovision 2010

Head of the Azerbaijani delegation at the Eurovision 2010 contest dismisses rumors spread by Russian mass media.

"Do not believe Russian media who write about 10 millions of spending for preparation to Eurovision 2010 contest. Our budget was just AZN 1,560,000 (1 AZN is slightly less than 1 Euro). It included expenses for national semifinal and final as well as promotion tours and video clip. We had 3 sponsors. One of them is SOCAR and two other sponsors did not want their names to be declared", said Adil Kerimli.

The head of the Azerbaijani delegation in Eurovision 2010 also spoke on the expenses for Safura's album.
"The Safura's European album was not included into the budget, its release was conducted by European producers who saw a potential and started to cooperate with her", said Kerimli.

03 June 2010
/1news.az/

teroh

Why did they not get rid of these rumors before the ESC ? They could have denied all of it prior to the ESC... now it looks a bit like "we don't want to be regarded as the nation that spends millions on the ESC and then fails to win, so we're just gonna announce that we had only a rather small budget".

I mean, a bit more than 1 million euros is almost nothing.. not very convincing to me, but anyway..

AlekS

Veteran
teroh said:
Why did they not get rid of these rumors before the ESC ? They could have denied all of it prior to the ESC... now it looks a bit like "we don't want to be regarded as the nation that spends millions on the ESC and then fails to win, so we're just gonna announce that we had only a rather small budget".
because that promo campaign and preparations ended on May 29? :roll:

I see nothing bad in spending a lot of money on ESC. Counting someone elses' money in such way doesn't look good also ;)
Personally I don't care how much money they have spent.

theonewithesc

alca said:
theonewithesc said:
Actually the best of the 10's. We're in a new decade. ;)
Ok then, let's say that it was the best Eurovision since 2000, because saying 10's and still comparing does not make any sense as this was the first show of 10's =)

Kristi

Turkey's split voting in the final:

1 - Norway
2 Georgia
3 Romania
4 Ukraine
5 Moldova
6 germany
7 russia
8 Bosnia&Hersegovina
10 Albania
12 Azerbaijan