Contact us

entries that didn't do well because people didn't understand the concept

John1

Boggie - "Wars for nothing" and Agnete - "Icebreaker" are the first 2 examples that come to my mind. Both are my #1 of their respective years and there's no doubt that these 2 are among the most revolutionary songs ever in ESC.

oh my god Icebreaker was that bitch. How didn't this sneak to the final? I'm still mad at everyone for letting this flop back in 2016.

John1

That was amazing but the staging wasn't as good as the video clip was and it didn't work. :(

ikr? they should have gone for a staging inspired from the videoclip or something related to flying birds.

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
oh i just remembered thiAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

JollityFarm

Finland's entry from 2015, "Aina mun pitää" by PKN. I'm not criticising people for not getting noisepunk here, just saying it counts as a song that didn't do well because the Eurovision people didn't get it.

Ausesken

Edit: of course Europe didn't understood the concept of the song because reggaeton was still a genre pretty much limited to the Hispanic world. Reggaeton has usually been linked to ignorance and lack of neurons in the Spanish popular belief, thus the song was just a parody of it.

Last edited:

John1

Even though the key change was kind of "too" sudden, :no: was robbed big time back in 2016. I can't believe that it ended up lower than :mk:!!!!

Everything about this entry is perfect, but yes... it was maybe too much of avant-garde at once for casual viewers. Agnete deserves an other shot at ESC tbh.

Daybreak

"Icebreaker" has an interesting idea behind it, but I can't help but look at it from my songwriter point of view and since the main interesting challenge in writing something like this is, obviously, making the change between different segments work, it kinda feels like unfinished. There have been many songs that change tempo/genre/whatever at some point during the song (for examples with a vague Eurovision connection, there's one of Darude's biggest hits "Feel the Beat" or even the ending of Grete Paia's "Päästke noored hinged") but most tracks like these bridge it someway that makes it more palatable to the audience. "Icebreaker" comes across like you had bits of two different pretty good tracks and just put them together with no effort to connect them whatsover, which is not too surprisingly jarring for a casual audience (especially on a first listen).

As for the point of the thread, I'd like to offer the breakbeat track from Bulgaria (Deep Zone & Balthazar - "DJ, Take Me Away", 2008). It's largely instrumental which not everyone is used to (I remember even ESCUnited's own Matt saying something like "when does it begin?" on a vid reviewing the Bulgarian entries :ROFLMAO:) and it seems to be a call-back to the early 90's songs like Prodigy's "Out of Space" which most people would probably miss. It still almost made it to the final though :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom