Contact us

Entering the new decade;

Citelis

As I have already written elsewhere, I very much dislike such approach. If something is bad, it doesn't matter if it might have helped you sometimes, it still remains bad.

Block voting is to some extent comprehensible - e.g. people from neighbouring countries can actually have somewhat similar musical taste. But what Greece and Cyprus show EVERY year is pathetic. Both countries should be temporarily banned from the competition for this.

We are not the only ones who do it but we are the only ones who are getting booed for it. However yes you are right, we shouldn't do it every year.

randajad

Veteran
As I have already written elsewhere, I very much dislike such approach. If something is bad, it doesn't matter if it might have helped you sometimes, it still remains bad.

Block voting is to some extent comprehensible - e.g. people from neighbouring countries can actually have somewhat similar musical taste. But what Greece and Cyprus show EVERY year is pathetic. Both countries should be temporarily banned from the competition for this.
So true. Eg ex Yugoslavia countries has one giant music scene, and local scenes, let’s be honest, are actually underground. :lol: So there you have Merlin, Severina, Joksimović that are huge stars, quite a bit of people would vote for them just because they know them and would like to see someone they recognized to succeed. On the other hand, it is bad to exchange 12 all the time, no matter the song. But also, I cannot think of such a fair system to establish if there was a voting incident and how to punish the responsible people. :)

Loindici

Veteran
people have discussed the merits of having the language rule back again many times but i think a nationality rule for composers would be so much more effective than the language rule (if it was more strict than just one native composer per entry). no use of english can save you from not having stefan orn or kontopoulos or symphonix or is it clear already that i am shading azerbaijan or,

of course, this raises concerns about demolising our already paltry parity between countries and how it would basically expel san marino from the contest, but eh. i am not a san marino truther anyway and ralph siegel should basically have sanmarinese citizenship at this point. they could make it work. it would also solve many of our jury voting problems since there wouldn't be as many connections to explore if every entry is internally composed.

maybe the rule should say that entries should have national composition but arrangement and additional production could be imported? kinda like midnight gold, that was composed by a georgian and then thomas g:son revamped it? hard to apply, but more strict than "just slap someone's name on the credits and have some swede do all the work".

The idea might work better. This is what Albania did with their entry for the past two years: having it composed on home grounds and perfect it elsewhere before the contest, and I like this approach better.

I initially don't mind the state of composers composing multiple songs for the contest. But now, it gets kind of displeasing to the point where broadcasters can buy random 'good' songs from outside, ignoring homeground talents, and call it the 'national entry'. It's even apparent in 2016 where 10-12 songs were written or produced by a Swedish native or 2017 where three songs are by Symphonix. This is obviously shade to Azerbaijan and Cyprus. It's as if saying 'our homegrown songs sucks'.

As for the language rule, it's harder to apply in the modern days: of course there will be advantages for UK, Ireland, Australia, and Malta. Unless, i'm thinking a hosting broadcaster would establish language rule for that year BUT Malta could only use Maltese, Australia could only use Aboriginal language, Ireland could only use Irish Gaelic, and the BIG 5 could only use one of the minor languages of their country.

Preuss

We are not the only ones who do it but we are the only ones who are getting booed for it. However yes you are right, we shouldn't do it every year.

Serbia and Montenegro perhaps... :lol:
Montenegro was ranked first by all jury members from Serbia

tuorem

Serbia and Montenegro perhaps... :lol:
Montenegro was ranked first by all jury members from Serbia
[MENTION=13314]DaFlo[/MENTION] was the chairperson of the Serbian jury this year. What did you expect? :cool:

Mainshow

Veteran
I would like to see Italy finally win. The sooner, the better. They've submitted quality entries since their comeback and totally deserve it. I'm still mad at the juries preventing Italy from winning back in 2015.

Also, I think it's time for the first victories of Poland, Hungary and Iceland.

Realest

I predict that neither Italy nor Russia wins in the 20s.

Preuss

So Italy will do another decade with consistent top 5s but never a victory then ... now that would be a pity! :?

Citelis

Just because a country gets many good results doen't mean that they have to win too.

Loindici

Veteran
I'm more into under-the-radar countries getting victories: Portugal, Poland, Czech Republic, Albania, Ireland, Iceland, or Belgium.

randajad

Veteran
Just because a country gets many good results doen't mean that they have to win too.

Of course they don’t have to, but certainly more likely to. Country, that constantly has good results (eg. Italy) and keep trying their best, in my opinion, is more deserving of victory than country that does not care and keeps sending bad acts (eg. Lithuania and whatever they are doing); if they send a good song yet another time of course. Also, that does not mean I would not like to see an underdog win, I am very happy to root and support that act if it is good enough, or if the powerhouse sends a crappy entry I would love to see it flop as well.

ESC94

Things I can imagine for the next decade:

- first wins for Poland, Hungary,Bulgaria or the Czech Republic
- Italy finally winning again
- Sweden having a phase of bad results like from 2005-2010
- San Marino withdrawing

Top Bottom