My life has been oh lame, has been oh lame so far
I wasted years, I wasted time trying to reach the stars

Give me time and give me strength, give me strength to carry on
Give me bit of hope now, help me through the night

Siren in my head, yes I can hear it again
Is it just the beginning or is it the end?

I wasted years, I wasted time trying to reach the stars

Give me bit of hope now, help me through the night[/center:1of1n36y]

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
Re: EESTI - Estonia 2010

The CEO for Eesti Rahvusringhääling (Estonian Public Broadcasting, ERR) has told to the major newspaper Postimees website elu24.ee that the Baltic country's participation in the Eurovision Song Contest in Oslo in May 2010 is now under serious reconsideration. This is after the Estonian Ministry of Culture announced serious budget cuts for ERR.
Margus Allikmaa, the CEO for ERR says that as most European broadcasters now face serious economic difficulties, coming at first place at the Eurovision Song Contest no longer is a victory. He says both the Norwegian broadcaster NRK and the winner of 2010 will find it hard to find the financing for the contest. Winning the contest would place an impossible burden on the Estonian broadcaster to organise the following year's contest in the current economic climate. ERR is only financed by a government grant and receives no licence fee or has no advertising, the only public broadcaster of its kind in the EU.

ERR has to save 28 million krooni (almost 1.8 million Euro), or 7 % of the total budget. Personally I think canceling Eurovision participation is the easiest option, Mr Allikmaa says. We know that it is a very popular show in Estonia, and the ratings we get are good, but staying at home for one year would not change anything, he says. The broadcaster may also choose to organise the Estonian Song Contest, Eesti laul, but still not take part in the Oslo contest. ERR also wants to maintain news, community, children's and sports programming, so entertainment will be the one to suffer according to Allikmaa. Also the broadcaster is not going to withdraw from broadcasting major sports events like the Olympic Games of Football World Cup next year.

Heidy Purga, the Radio 2 chief and Eurovision Song Contest manager tells Postimees that no discussions have been had about cuts yet. She expects the discussions to happen very soon, though. Mr Allikmaa also says no final decisions have been taken, but there will have to be some cuts announced in the coming weeks, including cutting salaries and programming. Eesti laul and participation in the Eurovision Song Contest cost ERR 3.5 million krooni (223700 Euro).

source: esctoday.com

nini

ZORAN said:
oooo noooo :cry:

agwee. If Estonia and Andorra are out they are my top 2 esc countries and Czech Republic and Montenegro wernt far behind.

AlekS

Veteran

Massive withdrawal? stop drama. It hasn't been decided yet :roll:
+ I expect Georgia and Lichtenstein instead )))
I think that Estonia and Andorra want to "blackmail" EBU: "See? We are in crisis. Would you please reduce the participation fee or we won't participate" )))
I don't care tbh.
Only broadcasters are in charge so this is their decision.
There's no sense in spending so much money and send crap (imo) like Latvia in 2009 instead of withdrawal. If they don't wanna risk, if they wanna save money this is their right.

AlekS

Veteran

Latvia 2009 was "so" awesome that it didn't qualify, wait.... no, it was so painful to watch @ him that I wanted to switch the channel )))
In any case I hope that Estonia won't send crap if they stay, it would be a waste of money and they really need money next year =)

94ayd

AlekS said:
Latvia 2009 was "so" awesome that it didn't qualify, wait.... no, it was so painful to watch @ him that I wanted to switch the channel )))
In any case I hope that Estonia won't send crap if they stay, it would be a waste of money and they really need money next year =)

You no qualification doesn't really mean everything. :lol:

PashonFrut

In all fairness Latvia 2009 was horrible :oops:

AlekS

Veteran

94ayd said:
You no qualification doesn't really mean everything. :lol:
You could say this if he finished 11th or 12th.... but 19th place in the semi (the last place) means that it was too crappy even for such cheesy festival like Eurovision :lol:
Anyway, would you please get back on topic coz if you remember correctly this thread is about ESTONIA 2010, thanx :cool:
Heidi Purga is awesome woman, I really liked Eesti Laul I must say + Estonia 2009 was gr8 so I think that they won't choose crap. They need a sponsor.

TF100

Latvia 2009 is by far my favourite Latvian entry and one of my favourites of 2009 altogether, but I would say that music is *shock* subjective ;)

As for Estonia, it would surprise me if they aren't there in Oslo, ESC is still pretty popular there from what I gather, and 2009 should be enough encouragement for them.

SpZ

75,4% of the poll voters in the major estonian yellow trash online news site voted that estonia should withdraw from esc (the poll has 4549 votes at now)
And on side note latvia was totally awesome last year while estonia had only decentish entry.

94ayd

I got worried after reading the first part of your comment. I just don't understand if you're talking about the 2008 entries or the 2009 ones. It's absolute truth about the 2008 ones.

SpZ

The only thing that saves estonia 2009 for me is that it is in estonian, if it would be in let's say croatian it would be totally horrible

SpZ

Stylistically (well except the violins) it isn't very far from the balkan horror ballads, at least in my opinion.

Top Bottom