Contact us

Earthquakes and volcanoes

aletem

There are a lot of earthquakes and recently some volcanic eruptions going on around the World. We can post informations here (at least for the not-so-strong earthquakes) about natural phenomena happening this year.

Today there was an earthquake in Costa Rica with a magnitude of 6.1 on the Richter scale. No information about any dead or missing people is reported yet.

Few days ago volcanoes in Ecuador and Guatemala exploded. In Guatemala, a reporter was killed, some were injured and thousands were evacuated. Voluminous dust was scattered around the country, especially the capital city.
About hundred people or so were evacuated in Ecuador, but there was no report about any victims.

Seismologists warned that the volcano in Guatemala will increase its activity.

Any thoughts!?

MyHeartIsYours

I think that the Earth is going through an active period and it will all settle down soon. Some people believe God is punishing people, well personally I don't believe that but if that is true it wouldn't surprise me as so many bad things are happening in the World. :cry: :cry:

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
Quite a lot of people also think that it's the beginning of the end (the world "ending" in 2012").

Or that mother nature is trying to give us humans a wake up call for us to act......saying we're destroying our planet etc.

Actually we had all these things coming up this past weekend. It's interesting how different every person feels about this.

aletem

I don't think that the prophecy is about to become true. True that this year we have a lot of earthquakes reported. These 6-6.9 earthquakes occur ~100 or more per year, so for me this is not such a big deal. The difference this year is that most of these earthquakes occur on populated continental areas. Anyway, we do go in a stage of slightly increased activity (nothing like 65 million years ago :lol: ). We are also approaching a magnetic polarity reversal. Some people think that this is dangerous, because we can die. Scientists said that this won't happen, due to the fact that previous magnetic reversal did not have any impact on the life of Earth (and they happened quite a lot). What I think it will do is interrupt the communications slightly and thats about it. I don't think we will be exposed from solar or cosmic radiation. Right now the magnetic North Pole is in Siberia and it moved 10-14 degrees from the last 10 years I believe. Ok enough with that. :mrgreen: :lol:

In Guatemala there were some floods as you know (apart from the volcanic activities) and due to that fact, there was a sinkhole created. Here:
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/19/20100531/im ... 49cd3.html

Sim

Well if this would be true, we have 2 esc left :lol: so let's enjoy it :lol:

But i don't think it's true.
I know their SEEMS to be more volcanic eruptions and eartquakes but in the past not every earthquake was recorded.

94ayd

Also, news couldn't reach the whole globe as they do now. ;)

Scooby

The Earth is a "living organism", and volcanoes and earthquakes remind us of that!

Milos-BC

I don't think this is an introduction to our demise in 2012 :lol:

But it is a bit worrying.....there are more earthquakes and disasters than usual.

aletem

I guess we should add to the title Solar Storms and possible impacts from meteorites and asteroids. Here is an interesting news regarding increased Solar activity. It seems that solar storms could affect the internet and the communication world wide. I might even see an Aurora Borealis soon. :mrgreen:
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/yahoocanada/ ... an_katrina

People are of-course approach this seriously and take precautions to protect the satellites that circle around the planet. :)

Also, you should know that once in ~100 years, there is a chance of a large meteorite or asteroid to hit the Earth. Last time was in the early 1900's in Siberia. That doesn't mean that something large will hit the Earth in these few years, it means that bodies with fairly large size enter Earth's atmosphere 1/100 years. That means that some might even burn quite a lot in the atmosphere and eventually just a small piece to fall somewhere.

And I also don't think that 2012 is a doomsday (even though the movie started with the news about increased Solar activity, and look it is coming true :lol: ). That has of-course nothing to do with plate tectonics.
I agree with some people here saying that now things are more recorded than before. Although, big earthquakes in the past have been noted by either old writings or from paleoseismicity. ;)
If you think that watching lava flows from volcanoes are cool, the "safest" place would be Hawaii. Just a suggestion, if you are intrigued to see these things. :lol:

MyHeartIsYours

Apparently there are very few solar flares which create lots of heat so we might be going into a big chill! Woo Id love that!! Loads of snow!! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

Jukica

(Retired) Admin
One more earthquake :|

Last night strong earthquake was in BiH (Livno), people in Dalmatia felt it. It was 4,3 by Richter.

Poor me when I'll be in BiH :lol:

Scooby

Jukice, don't worry be happy, who cares for e'quakes

Top Bottom