Contact us

Drama in the national finals

EscGeek

Veteran
We all know what happened in :es:

But i wanna learn more on that topic from you guys, so post the stories or videos of every drama that happened in the NFxheat

__________________________________________________ ______
RTVSLO often rigged the selction process too in the 00s...

public favorite did not win in: '01,'02,'03,'04,'06 and in '09
(+the year 2008 is debatable)

This is Langa...(a fan favorite in 2008 and 2009) after Quartissimo won
He's going ape shit in the rtvslo building and cursing...most notably "Jebem vam sunac" which roughly translates to "I fuck your sun"
Long story short,this is how my youtube usernname was born xrofl3

Later,he apologized and the duo even made this awesome song poking fun at everything that happened.

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
Germany 2015. Winner Andreas Kummert says "No thanks" on live TV and Ann-Sophie ends up representing Germany in Vienna

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
Steve Harvey stole this trick from Terry Wogan for the Miss Universe pageant. Announcing the wrong winner is always fun

Sammy

Veteran

Mary Roose says before announcing the jury points: "I want to leave the arena!" You can see how uncomfortable she and other members of the jury are. In-between she also says to the public: "Thank you for being so calm!" In the video you don't hear a lot of conflict but in the aftermath there was quite some discussion about the jury vote AND the public vote (cause there was a special vote from radio stations that unanimously put La Brassbanda in the first place, which arose suspicion on fraud.... This time on the side of one part of the public vote)

GRE

Back in 2002, the presenter of National Final, Dafni Bokota, forgot to say "start voting" and suddenly she said "the voting is over, stop voting now".
Also some people claim that the winner sang playback, and not live like the rest contestants.

Also in 2004, there was a talent show for Eurovision. The winner would represent us. But suddenly, all changed,
and Sakis was the representative. The winner was back vocalist to Sakis.

tuorem

How could we forget the Ukrainian national selection in 2011? :D Everything seemed to run smoothly until the final results were revealed. Mika Newton won but one of the jury members asked for the re-evaluation of votes since there were rumors of several votes for one single artist being sent from the same phone numbers (while one shouldn't have been able to vote for an artist twice).

Therefore, the acts of the final top 3 (Mika Newton, Zlata Ognevitch and Jamala) were to perform again in a new final, but Jamala and Zlata successively withdrew because they believed the results would be rigged again, leaving Mika as the only act left. :lol:

Both had their revenge though: Zlata reached one place higher than Mika in 2013, while Jamala won last year :D

MyHeartIsYours

Best drama for me was MYMU 2007 - Justin Hawkins storming off stage when Scooch beat him, the Europanel not even mentioning Scooch in their voting and Sir Terry announcing Cyndi the winner instead of Scooch :lol:

Pawhlen

:be: 1983 is another national final that went dramatic, the audience in the arena was heavily cheering for Bart Kaell to win, but when it became obvious during the voting that Pas De Deux was going to win, they started heavily booing which continued even during the winning reprise, the voting from that final could be found on YT some years ago but not anymore, the only thing that exists is this lookback -

:uk: 1980 didn´t have that kind of drama but still excitement since both Maggie Moone and Prima Donna ended up on same amount of Points after all juries had voted, add that the scoreboard didn´t keep up when Terry Wogan asked all regions to cast a single vote on either of the two songs

:no: 1989 had some drama, that year, NRK had decided to change their selection to having 9 songs in the final, 3 of these would go through to what they called "Superfinale" which is simply a second round, these 3 songs would then be performed again and after that the juries would cast their votes. But when the 3 finalists were announced and it became known that the big favorite among the audience in the venue, Jahn Teigen didn´t make the second round, the audience started heavily booing and shouting "Teigen, Teigen" many times even during the voting. Everything starts 6:24 into this video

Pawhlen

::cs 2006 was the start of the end for the union between :rs: and :me:. The national final Evropesma had drama the first two years but still ended with the winning songs being sent to ESC, however, 2006 this Contest was held in Belgrade with 12 songs from :rs: and 12 from :me:

The voting had 4 juries from :rs: and 4 from :me: + one televote jury. The juries were almost only voting on their own countrys songs with the :me: voting heavily on No Name and "Moja Ljubavi" and the :rs: voted heavingly for Flamingosi feat. Luis and "Ludi Letnji Ples"

The audience were heavily cheering for a Flamingosi win, and everytime No Name was giving a high mark from the :me: juries, heavily booing occured, and after all votes had been announced with No Name winning by 4 points ahead of Flamingosi, the audience began shouting "Thieves, "Thieves" and when they came out to reprise their song, some people threw bottles on the stage, the tense moment made No Name leave the stage.

Shortly after all this, the Flamingosi feat. Luis was heavily shouted up on stage performing their song to the ending credits with the other finalists from :rs: dancing in a large ring.

When the broadcast ended, the serbian broadcaster wrote to the montenegrin asking if they should hold a new final with the 5 highest scoring songs from each country and only televoting to decide the ultimate winner, the montenegrin broadcaster declined. When they both asked EBU for advice how to handle this, they just said "find a solution on your own"

It all ended with ::cs withdrawing from ESC 2006 meaning that :hr: got a direct ticket to the final. ::cs did pull out so very late into ESC that they in the end got to vote in both the semi and the final. On 21st May 2006, :me: had a public referendum if they should declared themselves as an independent country from :rs: and the "Yes" side won, and in 2007 they both began competing in ESC as independent states.

I really like to know what they are saying in the video, I would be really happy if any of you in here from :rs: or :me: could translate into English what the jury spokesperson and the hosts are saying

Pawhlen

:bg: debut year 2005 had some real drama in their national final, they had two semis first where it was 100% jury vote, and then a final with 16 songs, but to prevent any accusations of fraud or rigging the votes, it was decided that it was televoting 100% in the final.

But the drama was only getting started, shortly before the final was going to be held in Sofia on 12th February 2005, rumours began to flow saying that the manager for one of the contestants the group "Kaffe" had given out cash sim-cards for mobilphones for free begging people to vote for Kaffe, those things got so big that, that some of the other acts became very angry. One of these were the duo Slavi Trifonov and Sofi Marinova.

On the actual broadcast of the final, everything went smooth until it was time for Slavi and Sofi to perform, their pre-recorded music starts but instead of actually singing, Slavi begins to read from a paper in his hand where he and the whole team behind them accuse "Kaffe" of trying to manipulate the voting and that they don´t want to participate anymore. After they have finished the speech, they leave the stage immediate with the pre-recorded music still playing and part of the audience booing and whistles. Despite not performing their song, they actually came 2nd in the televote behind "Kaffe"

Slavi has never participated in any national final since that and I highly doubt he ever will.

Sofi Marinova went on to represent :bg: 7 years later in Baku where she was eliminated after tie-break counting with :no: in the semi

Mickey

Back in 2002, the presenter of National Final, Dafni Bokota, forgot to say "start voting" and suddenly she said "the voting is over, stop voting now".
Also some people claim that the winner sang playback, and not live like the rest contestants.

For some reason I've been reading a lot about old NF controversies the last few days (or at least trying to), and love this one which is completely new to me. Were there any ramifications for the presenter's mistake? Did any of the acts complain?

Mickey

I'll share one of my favourites: :at: 1990.

I think it's best to just watch this clip first without knowing what happens.

Monika from Duett recovers and the two of them are later allowed to perform their song again. Perhaps through sympathy, they win the public vote and Austria's ticket to Zagreb.

After the show, people voice their suspicions that Monika fainted on purpose for publicity, including a doctor who claims no one faints like that. It does look a weird stumbling fall. As it happens, the debate is academic. It emerges that Das Beste had previously been entered into the German national selection in 1988 and the entry is disqualified.

GRE

For some reason I've been reading a lot about old NF controversies the last few days (or at least trying to), and love this one which is completely new to me. Were there any ramifications for the presenter's mistake? Did any of the acts complain?

There were no ramifications for the presenter's mistake. At least back in 2002. Because 3 years later ERT dismissed her.
The acts complained for many reasons. Actually it was hot topic in news (!).

Nicholas123

There were no ramifications for the presenter's mistake. At least back in 2002. Because 3 years later ERT dismissed her.
The acts complained for many reasons. Actually it was hot topic in news (!).

Just lol @ Pegi Zina complaining about the Nf. The song she was competing with should have never been included in the final line up in first place, as it had been already airplaying in some radio stations (with the voice of a different singer, who was kicked out in order to make room for Zina, who was a rising star in the Greek discography) and that was against the rules set by ERT. But these are just details I guess. I wonder why.... Maybe because the composer of the song Thanos Kalliris was a very popular singer back then? xwhistle

As for the person who asked about the controversies of the Greek NF that year, there were also some allegations that the winner did not perform live, and that it was a lip sync, but there were no sufficient proofs about this. Other than that, there also some minor complaints about the sound quality.

bstream

Mary Roose says before announcing the jury points: "I want to leave the arena!" You can see how uncomfortable she and other members of the jury are. In-between she also says to the public: "Thank you for being so calm!" In the video you don't hear a lot of conflict but in the aftermath there was quite some discussion about the jury vote AND the public vote (cause there was a special vote from radio stations that unanimously put La Brassbanda in the first place, which arose suspicion on fraud.... This time on the side of one part of the public vote)

To this day, I still think about the whole "Brassbanda sweeping the radio vote" situation. Anyone found out why? Were they big on the radio at the time?

Top Bottom