Contact us

Does personality come into play for you?

ESCFr

I just read this and I laughed so much that I was crying :lol: xheart
Silvía Night - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

silvianight.jpg

Egocentrism-cheat alert

Grinch

Knowing the representer better changes my opinion about the representer, their song is not effected by this. If I like a song, I like it even if I'd hate the person who sings it.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
It definitely has some relevance to my perceptions; as my posts in the Danish, Georgian, Armenian, and Swedish 2015 threads show, I absolutely cannot stand when the artists insult one another, since it shows unprofessionalism and not-great judgment, two skills that are not unimportant.

The exceptions for me sometimes come when the artists respond to being attacked. Sanna Nielsen's response to Anton Ewald after he trash-talked her to Aftonbladet made me love her more not less:
“Thanks! What a cutie he is. But god, I have never met Anton so it will be very interesting to see what kind of person he is. But perhaps it is so, whether you want a Sanna Nielsen or you want to have a…whatever he calls himself?” Additionally, I didn't think Amber's response to whom she thought was Nina was out of line at all.

Ritararita

For me, it definitely comes into play in some cases, and not only if the singer attacks someone. I am especially allergic to (usually female, but not always) singers with annoying habit to tell the world their oh-so-important messages about peace and morals, using various charities as their promos, lecturing the world with their noble opinions on everything from politics to fashion. Very few of them are actually competent to do so. Even if the troll in me is sometimes very amused by all that circus, I am probably little bit old-fashioned, believing that singer´s job is to sing and that should be his or hers way of "sending messages", if he/she thinks it´s necessary.

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
I hope that personality is irrelevant to me, but that is partly because I only really see the songs and don't keep track of what goes on around them, so I don't really get much of a chance to be influenced by other things. Having said that, there occasions when I have heard more about the people behind the songs and I suppose that that will have some influence regardless of how much I hope it doesn't!

Kaz

Of course personality plays a big part in this for me. I don't want to be supporting an egotistical show-off who's only talent is looking good. (see Moldova)

It's one of the only reasons the Czech Republic is so high on my ranking, sure, the song is good, but Marta & Vaclav seem like really friendly, fun people!

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
Of course not. It's always been exclusively about the songs for me. When it comes to the songs I love, I don't care if the artist is standing still like a statue on stage, or dancing around. I don't care if the artist is reserved and introverted or bubbly and friendly. I don't care if they've made rude comments or if they are angelically good. A good song is all that matters for me and what I care about.

A flamboyant, over-the-top personality is a huge turn-off for me personally, and while that would make me dislike an artist, it wouldn't make me dislike their song.

As hardcore fans of the contest, we don't just tune in on the night and think "Oh this song is the one I like most so i'll vote for it". We build up a fierce loyally to our favourites and that bond is strengthened by the various interviews and things they take part in over the months leading to the contest.
While no doubt this is true for some hardcore fans, it's not the case with everyone. I would consider myself a hardcore Eurovision fan and have been so now for the past 24 years, but I still only vote for the songs. I most definitely think "Oh this song is the one I like most so I'll vote for it". I don't follow any of the artists on their route to Eurovision, since for me it's only ever about the songs. xshrug

I apologize for quoting such an old post. I only realized now after I had posted it that this thread is old. :lol:

Dante

I try to separate the song from the personality of the singer, but I can't. Usually I'm influenced by the bad things that happen. I wish I could only judge the song, I had some great ESC moments ruined by it.

Top Bottom