Contact us

Does personality come into play for you?

VikingTiger

When the artists are on the stage I really dont care about their personality. They can be stupid airheads, so full of themselves they are about to explode, communists or fascists.... but I am voting for their song/lyrics and the hole presentation ON STAGE!

Another thing is; how "well" do most of us know these artists??? I really dont know any of them on a personal level. And I refuse to base my judgement only on what I read in the papers. I adored our Margaret from last year; I mean I adores her song and her performance! Sure she seems like a nice person from the interviews etc, But I have absolutely no idea of how she is in person.

chokladplopp

I guess it's difficult to understand the seriousness of such comments if you're not affected yourself. Probably very related to what it's like to be be abused through racism. Personally, I'm not gay and I'm not in danger for any racism, so the only thing I can be, is sympathetic and try to stay away from quick judgements of what is appropriate and what is not.
Completely agree. Many people are privileged in different ways, and many are discriminated in different ways. We have to realize we have different experiences. Those who are discriminated on different terms define what discrimination is.

chokladplopp

Ignorance is bliss, I guess. For me it's hard in general to look away when someone has said something sexist, racist or homophobic. It gives me a hard time enjoying the song and performance.

greece

[MENTION=13496]chokladplopp[/MENTION]

Oh so it is chocolate? Or something food :lol:

VikingTiger

For me it's hard in general to look away when someone has said something sexist, racist or homophobic.

Separating between the person behind and the song/act itself is not necessarily "looking away". One can easily react to sexist/racist/homophobic statements - but at the same time enjoying a stage act and a song. At least I can.
In addition to this; I dont trust the media to always give the whole story. Many of us, me included, have suring our lives said things that have come out the wrong way. I am sure I could have been quoted on some of my own statements; and I would seem like a horrible person.

dezbee2008

Right? How can you not love Silvia Night? :lol: xheart

silvianight.jpg

silvia_nott_adal.jpg

Silvia+Night+png+cropped.png

I was listening to Silvia Night's song for a few days now. Perhaps my favorite Icelandic entry in the last 10 years.

dezbee2008

Anyway, back on topic, sometimes personality does come into play. Krista's personality was a big factor as to why Finland was my favorite last year.

My friend from Portugal was disgusted, however, by Ruth's attitude in the NF (I know, old news), but I still enjoy her song. It's a case-by-case basis.

DerMoment1608

Yes i wonder too, what did he say?

This was the first article about it that started everything: Unzipped: Gay Armenia: Fail: Armenia representative in Eurovision Aram MP3 makes homophobic and transphobic remarks
And this is a later one on the same blog: Unzipped: Gay Armenia: Armenia Eurovision representative Aram MP3: “I reject homophobia”. He met up with Conchita in Amsterdam as well (Aram Mp3 and Conchita Wurst reconcile at Eurovision Concert).

I'm not implying that anybody should think this or that about his remarks, but it's just fair to post everything he said, not just the first blogged article / articles that are based on it.

Terence

It doesn't affect me much but Helena's overconfident personality in 2005, Silvia Night's character in 2006, Chiara's self-ego in 2009 and the Russian singer from 2011 all put me off!

FilipFromSweden

I was listening to Silvia Night's song for a few days now. Perhaps my favorite Icelandic entry in the last 10 years.

Even though Silvia is glorious and glamorous and queen of the semi I don't think she has the best Icelandic entry, Iceland has too many good songs for that! (2008,2009,2010,2012)

LalehForWD

Even though Silvia is glorious and glamorous and queen of the semi I don't think she has the best Icelandic entry, Iceland has too many good songs for that! (2008,2009,2010,2012)

xthink I had to look them up :)

2008 - Eurobandið - Fullkomið líf (This Is My Life) - I got no memory at all for this, got massive Nordic votes though
2009 - Yohanna - Is It True? - My winner 2009 by far
2010 - Hera Björk - Je ne sais quoi - smash hit
2012 - Gréta Salóme & Jónsi - Never Forget - I liked a lot at first, but kind of lost it

I think Yohanna was absolutly magic

FilipFromSweden

2008 - Eurobandið - Fullkomið líf (This Is My Life) - I got no memory at all for this, got massive Nordic votes though
2012 - Gréta Salóme & Jónsi - Never Forget - I liked a lot at first, but kind of lost it

I think all of those 4 entries are amazing, I voted for the one in 2012 and Italy in the final. All of those entries (not 2010) we're my favorites that year.

dezbee2008

I would agree with that, except 2012. Never liked it.

Terence

All of these got my votes xheart

i anixi

Answering the thread's question: no, not really. Charisma on stage yes, I guess it comes into play for me even if unconsciously and that might count for personality. But I never read interviews as I'm hardly ever interested about what they say or do.

revallsay

Well, the more I watch Suzy, the more I try to like her song. The song itself is OK, it's traditional but not modern. It's different. I don't know what to do with Suzy. he's a sweetheart xheart!

Mannone

I couldn't care less about (i) personality and (ii) lyrics (when down to Eurovision). A polite artist wont survive for long. Often the most interesting artists are those who (quite) literally pee on people. Of course there is a limit of how stupid one can behave, but the ceiling is higher for artists than for, for example, athletes. Thus, Isinbajeva proved to be quite a nut just before Sotji. You may still applaud the achievement, but it's not standing on it's own feet like a piece of art. Unless of course you break the world record... :rolleyes:

greece

Well, the more I watch Suzy, the more I try to like her song. The song itself is OK, it's traditional but not modern. It's different. I don't know what to do with Suzy. he's a sweetheart xheart!

xyeah Although I think that Suzy is she not he ;)

Top Bottom