Contact us

Do you think "Vuelve conmigo" is overrated?

carlosmstraductor

Hello everybody.

I would like to make you a confession. I'm sorry to say that even if I'm a Spaniard, I think "Vuelve conmigo" is overrated and its 2nd position was exaggerated. I've got several reasons: Firstly, Anabel Conde has no charisma whatsoever and her body expression is not very good despite the fact that she sings well. Then, the lyrics are very clichéd, unoriginal, basic, childish, unimpressive, dull and uninspired and the chorus repeats itself very much. The verse reminds me of "Private dancer" by Tina Turner. Moreover, many Spanish eurofans have mythicised this song due to her live and the brilliant orchestration by Eduardo Leiva, since the studio version is weak and it even wasn't a bookmakers favourite. Finally, I prefer songs like Croatia, Greece, Cyprus or even Austria.

All the best
Carlos M.S.

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
Not at all. It's not the best spanish entry ever but it was a clear standout in a weak year. Deserved second place despite not being my personal second place. Out of the songs you mentioned, I like greece, cyprus and austria.

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
It should've won.

carlosmstraductor

A bit overrated, maybe. It's a really nice song and I enjoy it, but it's far from being my favorite that year. I'm not even sure it would be in my Top 10 of 1995.

The Swedish jury based in Malmö TV-huset at Jägersro (one of its members was late GT/Göteborgs Tidningen and Kvällsposten music journalist and critic Christer Borg) gave it 0 points, that is, Spain and, curiously enough, Norway were not in the top 10 which was read by SVT sport journalist Björn Hedman. They preferred Malta, Israel, France, Austria, the United Kingdom, Iceland, Slovenia, Cyprus, Ireland and Denmark.

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
The Swedish jury based in Malmö TV-huset at Jägersro (one of its members was late GT/Göteborgs Tidningen and Kvällsposten music journalist and critic Christer Borg) gave it 0 points, that is, Spain and, curiously enough, Norway were not in the top 10 which was read by SVT sport journalist Björn Hedman. They preferred Malta, Israel, France, Austria, the United Kingdom, Iceland, Slovenia, Cyprus, Ireland and Denmark.
I never seem to agree with my country's jury, and the same goes for 1995. :lol: That "we" gave nothing to Norway is a disgrace to be honest. It was definitely the big favorite in my household that year.

My favorites from 1995 are: :hr: :no: :sl: :se: :il: :mt: :cy: :de: :tr: :ba: :be: :gr:.

carlosmstraductor

Another demo was sent for the internal preselection made by TVE on 7th April 1995, its title was "Quédate" (Stay), also written by José María "Chema" Purón. Curiously enough, Anabel Conde's record was a commercial failure due to her lack of charisma and her weak body expression, it wasn't even a favourite among bookies.

Ezio

Veteran
Vuelve conmigo is not overrated at all. 1995 was a great year with an amazing winner. Vuelve conmigo as runner-up feels so right and perfect as well.

But I get the notion from a Spaniard's point of view, that the song's lyrics are too cliché and too much drama. But guess what, Love shine a light is cliché, Heroes is cliché, Believe is cliché, and so on and on and on.... I am still chained to its rhythm.

carlosmstraductor

Now I'm going to give you the translation of the lyrics:

COME BACK TO ME

I've felt the emptiness
And a sleeping memory awakes again
I don't have you with me
And so much loneliness hurts me inside
Who knows where you are?
Who knows where you are?

Come, come, come back to me
Come, come, 'cause I need your love
Come, I won't forget you
Come back to me, my love

Nothing remains in my soul
Only that flame that won't die
That burns in my chest
When, alone in my bed
I feel like you're not there
You have to listen to me
You have to listen to me

Come, come, 'cause I need your love
Come, come back to me
Give warmth to this winter

Come, come, I've already asked you to forgive me
(Come) Come, I won't forget you
Come back to me, my love

Oh... (Come, come, come back to me)
(Come, come, 'cause I need your love)
Come, come, come (Come, come, come back to me)
(Give warmth to this winter) Oh, yeah, yeah

Come, come, I've already asked you to forgive me
(Come) Come, I won't forget you
Come back to me, my love

If you want, I could translate the lyrics into whatever language (I speak 12 languages, BTW).

Ezio

Veteran
I think the lyrics are great. instead of Hello I used to say „quién sabe dónde estás?“ to my love on the phone, mostly singing.

Laepo1

Not at all. One of the best Spanish entries ever and would have been a worthy winner. I still prefer Nocturne, but Vuelve Conmigo is up there as well.

Ezio

Veteran
Me tienes kescuchaaaar, me tienes kescuchaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAHHHH

1995 had the best winner and runner up of all times

Last edited:

carlosmstraductor

Curiously enough, record company Jercar from Barcelona filed for bankruptcy in 1996 and Anabel Conde didn't get a penny despite her 2nd place in Dublin. In fact, "Vuelve conmigo" was never a hit or commercial success in Spain (it didn't even reach the charts) and only eurofans remember her. She's nowadays a primary school teacher in Guadalajara.

Top Bottom