6 5.0%

4 3.3%

10 8.3%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

AndroZeus

1) The contest needs more contestants. Currently there are 8 spots, four of which are decided by mainstream record companies who just choose whatever boring radio filler they've just signed. If Denmark is to have any chance in the future, we need to make the contest more like our Scandinavian neighbours so the public and jury actually have good options to choose from.
2) Better hosts. Can we teach Måns to speak Danish? Or just get him to do it in English or Swedish? Anything's better than fucking Heino.
3) Different producers. The 2023 show as a whole was shittily put together, the intervals were random people being interviewed poorly, the voting app didn't work and the results were confusing to follow. Especially the voting results sequence pissed me off. Just do it like Sweden so you can actually see how many points each entry has gotten, instead of just saying "these three are top three in this area" eight times in a row.
Literally the only two good moments at DMGP 2023 were Søren Torpegaard Lund's performance (and his admirable calm at Tina Müller's microaggression) and Kalush's performance. I watched most of the NFs, and ours was undoubtedly the shittest. (Though to be fair, I couldn't get the link to work for the Romanian show ;))

Regarding who I'd like to see as contestants: I don't think any of my faves would want to do it, because musicians in Denmark look down on ESC so much, but Anne Linnet participating would be fucking iconic and I wish there was even the slightest chance it might happen.

CPV4931

Please finally a live stream that doesn´t end before the winning announcement :LOL:

jatojo

1) The contest needs more contestants. Currently there are 8 spots, four of which are decided by mainstream record companies who just choose whatever boring radio filler they've just signed. If Denmark is to have any chance in the future, we need to make the contest more like our Scandinavian neighbours so the public and jury actually have good options to choose from.

The selection was actually good this time. Better than the two previous years. There was a good mix of songs from different genres, probably more than in most NF's. The problem was that there wasn't 1-2 very strong entries.

2) Better hosts. Can we teach Måns to speak Danish? Or just get him to do it in English or Swedish? Anything's better than fucking Heino.

Heino was primarily chosen because the Melodi Grand Prix took place in his home town. He probably won't be the host next year, but I think it's okay to go for humour in the show. The problem might be that a hostess like Tina Müller doesn't really have much humour although she tries to appear as someone who does.

Regarding who I'd like to see as contestants: I don't think any of my faves would want to do it, because musicians in Denmark look down on ESC so much, but Anne Linnet participating would be fucking iconic and I wish there was even the slightest chance it might happen.

I agree about established artists being reluctant to participate. I don't agree about Anne Linnet since she can't sing anymore, and Denmark need good singers for Eurovision.

Chalphon

3) Different producers. The 2023 show as a whole was shittily put together, the intervals were random people being interviewed poorly, the voting app didn't work and the results were confusing to follow. Especially the voting results sequence pissed me off. Just do it like Sweden so you can actually see how many points each entry has gotten, instead of just saying "these three are top three in this area" eight times in a row.
Literally the only two good moments at DMGP 2023 were Søren Torpegaard Lund's performance (and his admirable calm at Tina Müller's microaggression) and Kalush's performance. I watched most of the NFs, and ours was undoubtedly the shittest. (Though to be fair, I couldn't get the link to work for the Romanian show ;))

Måns is from Skåne so his Danish might be sufficient allready.

Any chance we could get D.A.D. to participate in MGP?

AndroZeus

I agree about established artists being reluctant to participate. I don't agree about Anne Linnet since she can't sing anymore, and Denmark need good singers for Eurovision.
Oops you're right, she definitely can't, it'd be worse than when the UK sent Bonnie Tyler...

Funix

"Ved ESC 2024 skal vindersangen fra Dansk Melodi Grand Prix fremføres som singback, og her skal alle vokaler være 100 procent live."

"At ESC 2024, the winning song from Dansk Melodi Grand Prix must be performed as singback, and here all vocals must be 100 percent live."

Maybe we see the returning of the live backing vocals rule 🙏

jatojo

Dansk Melodi Grand Prix 2024 will be held in DR's own concert hall on 17th of February.

EkstraBladet writes today (autotranslated):

'Many were left with a feeling of deep disappointment when Faroese-born Reiley was eliminated from the semi-finals of the Eurovision Song Contest in Liverpool in May.

It was the third year in a row that the red and white colours were not represented in the final of the European song contest.

Critics spoke of a 'historic meltdown', placing Denmark among the worst nations in the contest.

This has led to extensive analysis work in DR, which has resulted in a new strategy and approach to the show, explains Grand Prix Manager Erik Struve Hansen.

- "We have scrutinised the show, our entire approach to artists and music. We've looked at what works in Eurovision and what doesn't work.

According to the DR boss, the new strategy is based on 'many interviews and meetings with dedicated experts and representatives of fan media'.

The results of the new strategy can be seen when DR unveils the Danish Eurovision Song Contest on 17 February 2024 in the Concert Hall at DR Koncerthuset.

According to the Grand Prix boss, it will be an optimal setting for the artists who will be performing and hoping for a ticket to Eurovision.

But performance alone won't do it. According to the DR boss, the songs must also be 'easy to decipher', 'immediate' and hit the mark the first time.

Therefore, there will be an even closer screening of the songs that are submitted, which a judging committee will listen to with critical ears.

- It requires a strong song, a strong vocalist and a very strong performance. It's a kind of trinity. It's important that all three things work," says Erik Struve Hansen.

As before, it is a mixture of a professional jury and viewers' votes that decides who Denmark will send on to the European Song Contest.

But DR is increasing the number of jury members and supplementing the jury with people from both Denmark and abroad who understand the concept of the good grand prix listener.

The hope is that this new approach will secure Denmark a place in the Eurovision final.

Denmark has won Eurovision three times, in 1963 with Grethe and Jørgen Ingmann's 'Dance Song', in 2000 with the Olsen Brothers' 'Beautiful as a Shooting Star' and in 2013 with Emmelie de Forest's 'Only Teardrops'.

Since 2019, Denmark has not made it past the semi-finals.

- "We can't promise that the curse will be broken," says Erik Struve Hansen.

- "It's extremely annoying to be part of a huge music festival, but then not to be there for the final itself.

- It is definitely our ambition to be as strong as possible. But it's just impossible to promise in advance that it will be there. There are just a lot of mechanisms that come into play," he says.'

Ezio

Veteran
The drama. Denmark's approach reveals again what is my image in general of this country. Slightly backwarded in culture and music.
Seeking inspiration from past winners is another setup for failure.

Be more daring and avantgarde, trust your gut instinct, and what you do best.

Austria lost 3 times in a row but we never felt like we are the worst. We are more out of the box and do what we want. We delivered a fan fave two years in a row. Denmark also did so in 2018 and 2021.

Denmark had crazy good results in the 80's with their jolly schlager. Maybe go there again. I love it. Or Aud Wilken in 1995 was a masterclass. Just please stop with the generic radio pop that makes me confuse Denmark with Ireland. You won't compete against the Swedish machine in the category most polished bore. Do your culture, do you and don't care about the others.

Marcos C

Dansk Melodi Grand Prix 2024 will be held in DR's own concert hall on 17th of February.

EkstraBladet writes today (autotranslated):

'Many were left with a feeling of deep disappointment when Faroese-born Reiley was eliminated from the semi-finals of the Eurovision Song Contest in Liverpool in May.

It was the third year in a row that the red and white colours were not represented in the final of the European song contest.

Critics spoke of a 'historic meltdown', placing Denmark among the worst nations in the contest.

This has led to extensive analysis work in DR, which has resulted in a new strategy and approach to the show, explains Grand Prix Manager Erik Struve Hansen.

- "We have scrutinised the show, our entire approach to artists and music. We've looked at what works in Eurovision and what doesn't work.

According to the DR boss, the new strategy is based on 'many interviews and meetings with dedicated experts and representatives of fan media'.

The results of the new strategy can be seen when DR unveils the Danish Eurovision Song Contest on 17 February 2024 in the Concert Hall at DR Koncerthuset.

According to the Grand Prix boss, it will be an optimal setting for the artists who will be performing and hoping for a ticket to Eurovision.

But performance alone won't do it. According to the DR boss, the songs must also be 'easy to decipher', 'immediate' and hit the mark the first time.

Therefore, there will be an even closer screening of the songs that are submitted, which a judging committee will listen to with critical ears.

- It requires a strong song, a strong vocalist and a very strong performance. It's a kind of trinity. It's important that all three things work," says Erik Struve Hansen.

As before, it is a mixture of a professional jury and viewers' votes that decides who Denmark will send on to the European Song Contest.

But DR is increasing the number of jury members and supplementing the jury with people from both Denmark and abroad who understand the concept of the good grand prix listener.

The hope is that this new approach will secure Denmark a place in the Eurovision final.

Denmark has won Eurovision three times, in 1963 with Grethe and Jørgen Ingmann's 'Dance Song', in 2000 with the Olsen Brothers' 'Beautiful as a Shooting Star' and in 2013 with Emmelie de Forest's 'Only Teardrops'.

Since 2019, Denmark has not made it past the semi-finals.

- "We can't promise that the curse will be broken," says Erik Struve Hansen.

- "It's extremely annoying to be part of a huge music festival, but then not to be there for the final itself.

- It is definitely our ambition to be as strong as possible. But it's just impossible to promise in advance that it will be there. There are just a lot of mechanisms that come into play," he says.'
Thanks for the translation. For those who are interested, here is the original Danish-language article.

MopManMoss

Veteran
The drama. Denmark's approach reveals again what is my image in general of this country. Slightly backwarded in culture and music.
Seeking inspiration from past winners is another setup for failure.

Be more daring and avantgarde, trust your gut instinct, and what you do best.

Austria lost 3 times in a row but we never felt like we are the worst. We are more out of the box and do what we want. We delivered a fan fave two years in a row. Denmark also did so in 2018 and 2021.

Denmark had crazy good results in the 80's with their jolly schlager. Maybe go there again. I love it. Or Aud Wilken in 1995 was a masterclass. Just please stop with the generic radio pop that makes me confuse Denmark with Ireland. You won't compete against the Swedish machine in the category most polished bore. Do your culture, do you and don't care about the others.
I am so thankful you have returned after two weeks of not posting

Ezio

Veteran
I am so thankful you have returned after two weeks of not posting

Actually, I am reading Bible now and it makes me forget that Eurovision exists. You know, there is peace, and here is not.

jatojo

They are playing Eyjaa right now in the radio (P4). It seems this remains the most played Melodi Grand Prix song in 2023. Which to me is a sign that the Danish population have bad taste when it comes to Eurovision music - the song didn't even make it to the top 3 in the vote.

Last edited:

MopManMoss

Veteran
I still feel that the only NF song that stood any chance of qualification this year was Lige Her

jatojo

I still feel that the only NF song that stood any chance of qualification this year was Lige Her

'Lige Her' would have had a chance, I agree. Personally, I thought the best thing about the song (other than his good voice) was the quite explicit reference to 'Dansevise', and if I were to retract that from my assessment, I don't know how high I would rate it. Not many international voters would recognize this reference.

But Eyjaa's song has done well in polls and at various influencer channels, and it was 14th in the OGAE Second Chance contest. So I would say this entry would have had a chance of qualifying, too, with the reservation that the live performance didn't seem to have an impact on people, even though it was technically well executed.

ailane

They are playing Eyjaa right now in the radio (P4). It seems this remains the most played Melodi Grand Prix song in 2023. Which to me is a sign that the Danish population have bad taste when it comes to Eurovision music - the song didn't even make it to the top 3 in the vote.

It didn't makes to the top 3 in the vote,but it was my top 1 of Denmark national selection in 2023, and i liked the song,it means I have a bad taste? No,it means that nobody likes the same type of music,and It means I liked the song,I can't just stopping liking it,if you like a song,you like,if you don't like a song,you don't like,you can't change that

Last edited:
Top Bottom