10 6.5%

12 7.8%

24 15.7%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

susanhm

I had a funny dream about Reiley last night. He had changed the songs tempo to a ballad. Still the same lyrics. But now a very slow ballad. Also the intire song was performed while he lay on the stage. According to him, it was because he could not afford a big stage show to fit the original uptempo song.
Very weird.

jatojo

Denmark is borderline qualifier indeed. Battling with Belgium. The last time I checked the odds Denmark was out, now Denmark is in. It's 50-50.

midnightsun

Veteran
Which was written by Swedes.

"Yes" then? Written by Swedes.

"In A Moment Like This" then? Written by Swedes.

That’s why Øve os på hinanden will forever be my favourite Danish entry! :love:

Higher Ground
is actually also my favourite because it’s so stereotypical Scandinavian; I love that! But in terms of songwriting it’s of course very basic or generic. But it was my favourite song in 2018.

MooseShoes

That’s why Øve os på hinanden will forever be my favourite Danish entry! :love:
Mine too! I just wish the broadcaster had thrown a bit of money at it and recorded a version with the DMGP orchestra like in the national final; it sounds even better and I've got a feeling it would have qualified.

The fandom have a habit of being very cruel to Denmark. I certainly have very little time for most of the rejected Melodifestivalen tracks that get served up but, on the other hand, out of the four most recent national finals I've been given three absolute diamonds:

All in Danish, too, which would make this a good moment to remind everyone that the only Nordic country not to send a song in their own language to Eurovision since the language rule was abolished is :se:.

jatojo

Mine too! I just wish the broadcaster had thrown a bit of money at it and recorded a version with the DMGP orchestra like in the national final; it sounds even better and I've got a feeling it would have qualified.

The fandom have a habit of being very cruel to Denmark. I certainly have very little time for most of the rejected Melodifestivalen tracks that get served up but, on the other hand, out of the four most recent national finals I've been given three absolute diamonds:

All in Danish, too, which would make this a good moment to remind everyone that the only Nordic country not to send a song in their own language to Eurovision since the language rule was abolished is :se:.

Yesterday I revisited Matt's review of Denmark's selection 2020, and it was actually very positive. :)

Btw, there is no doubt that Ben & Tan would have qualified that year (despite what certain segments of the above mentioned fandom are thinking), so it would have been a fine qualifying streak for Denmark. However, if DR don't buy as many songs from abroad as they used to, then it will be harder to qualify - that's what the tendency has been so far (and apparently Lise Cabble has stopped writing Melodi Grand Prix songs).

Last edited:

shameless

"Yes" then? Written by Swedes.

"In A Moment Like This" then? Written by Swedes.
These were horrible LOL
Danes better do it by themselves. All their winning songs were written by one of their own. Satellite was written by a Dane, a much better song than the swedish cheesefest they entered with that year.

jatojo

These were horrible LOL
Danes better do it by themselves. All their winning songs were written by one of their own. Satellite was written by a Dane, a much better song than the swedish cheesefest they entered with that year.

As far as I know, only the lyrics of Satellite were written by a Dane. That song would probably have won even with "Will be better way" and "Thing is known" ...

The problem is: There are very few talented young Danish composers (at least within genres relevant for Eurovision). In the last 20 years, the successes at Eurovision have overwhelmingly been about songs written by Swedes or by Lise Cabble.

shameless

As far as I know, only the lyrics of Satellite were written by a Dane. That song would probably have won even with "Will be better way" and "Thing is known" ...

The problem is: There are very few talented young Danish songwriters (at least within genres relevant for Eurovision). In the last 20 years, the successes at Eurovision have overwhelmingly been about songs written by Swedes or by Lise Cabble.
Yes, Satellite was composed by an american. Anyways, my point was that I don't think Denmark needs to hide between their swedish neighbours when their most generic and cheesy songs have been written by them and they've won without their help.
I think the country had received a lot of goodwill in the past but its true that it's not really delivering in the same way as e.g. Norway does when they dare something.

Last edited:

jatojo

I think the country had received a lot of goodwill in the past but its true that it's not really delivering in the same way as e.g. Norway does when they dare something.
Denmark is SO far behind Norway - and Finland and Sweden. Which is primarily due to those countries improving a lot while Denmark hasn't improved. Just look at what songs didn't even make it to the final in Norway. Many of those would have won the whole thing in Denmark. That's how big the difference is.

AndroZeus

It's not that there is a lack of talented young Danish composers. It's that Universal Music Group Denmark has its filthy hands around the throat of the DMGP selection committee. The Danish music scene doesn't lack talent. It lacks democracy.

jatojo

It's not that there is a lack of talented young Danish composers. It's that Universal Music Group Denmark has its filthy hands around the throat of the DMGP selection committee. The Danish music scene doesn't lack talent. It lacks democracy.

I definitely regard Danish music as inferior to the other Scandinavian countries and Finland. The weakness ranges from the level of the contestants in amateur song competitions (it's truly horrific in Denmark) to the number of artists with success abroad. I'm not an expert in the music industry, but you'll see young Norwegian singers going to special song writing education camps in the UK and such things - you don't hear about that in Denmark. Also, there are numerous TV programmes in Norway where you see the most well-known and talented singers competing in different formats - in Denmark only "Toppen af poppen" has a slight resemblance, and even there, the level is frightingly low. Denmark has a very narrow field of quality musicians. It wasn't always like that, but that's how it has developed. It probably has to do with musical education in the school system and such things, but I'm not enough into that to draw conclusions. I'm just saying that objectively Denmark is in a bad position when it comes to pop music.

I wish for a revolution like the one in Finland where they decided to go all in on the UMK. But I'm not sure Denmark has enough talent to do the same thing.

Last edited:

AndroZeus

I definitely regard Danish music as inferior to the other Scandinavian countries and Finland. The weakness ranges from the level of the contestants in song competitions (it's truly horrific in Denmark) to the number of artists with success abroad. I'm not an expert in the music industry, but you'll see young Norwegian singers going to special song writing education camps in the UK and such things - you don't hear about that in Denmark. Also, there are numerous TV programmes in Norway where you see the most well-known and talented singers competing in different formats - in Denmark only "Toppen af poppen" has a slight resemblance, and even there, the level is frightingly low. Denmark has a very narrow field of quality musicians. It wasn't always like that, but that's how it has developed. It probably has to do with musical education in the school system and such things, but I'm not enough into that to draw conclusions. I'm just saying that objectively Denmark is in a bad position when it comes to pop music.

I wish for a revolution like the one in Finland where they decided to go all in on the UMK. But I'm not sure Denmark has enough talent to do the same thing.

It's not that there is a lack of talent, though. It's that Danish record executives aren't willing to bank on anything interesting. If you go to any small concert venue in the cities and larger towns, you'll see countless incredible artists, none of whom will ever get a record deal because the execs don't like anything that doesn't sound like Minds of 99.

Top Bottom