Så lad os øve os på hinanden
Lige om lidt er vi to voksne
Du er kvinden, jeg er manden
Hele gulvet er gået fra forstanden
La' os øve på hinanden​

Last edited by a moderator:

jatojo

More fun (nerdy) facts:

If - as a non Danish speaker - you wanted to sing along to the lyrics (as seen above), the most important thing in this specific context is probably the endings. In spoken Danish and in contemporary pop lyrics, certain endings (suffixes) may be left out in the pronunciation, so that for instance " manden " is pronounced " mand' ". In fact, the d is not pronounced here either, so it basically sounds as the English word "man". The same goes for the word " hinanden " -> " hinand' " which would be something like "hee-nan" in English (with the emphasis on the second syllable). So in this way "manden" rhymes with "hinanden", both being reduced to two-syllable words.

But then in the final line of the chorus, "hinanden" appears again as it rhymes with "forstanden". This time, the suffixes ARE pronounced, so it's like "hee-nan-en" and "forstan-en" - with three (pronounced) syllables each.

The reason for the varying pronunciation here is primarily the number of syllables in the verses. It has to fit in. (In the everyday spoken language it would actually sound rather unusual with all three syllables in "forstanden" pronounced as clearly as Jesper does here.)

"Ingen ved, hvordan man gør
Lige om lidt er vi to voksnе
Du er kvinden, jeg еr manden
La' os øve på hinanden"

Last edited:

jatojo

"Ingen ved, hvordan man gør
Lige om lidt er vi to voksnе
Du er kvinden, jeg еr manden
La' os øve på hinanden"

So I actually think it would sound decent if an English speaker said this, 1 to 1:

Engen veh vordan man gör
Så la us öu us på hee-nan
Li om lit air vi to voksneh
Du air kvennen, iar air man
Helleh goalvet air goa-ed fra forstan-en
La us öve på hee-nan-en.

Notes:
- "Så" sounds basically like the second syllable in "Windsor" (British English).
- "På" sounds basically like the first half of the word "poll".
- I've changed the ø into ö which many will know from for instance German - it's more or less the same pronunciation.

German speakers would probably be able to pronounce the whole block fairly correctly from the Danish text. They just need to leave out the d's in "lad", "hinanden", "kvinden", "manden", and "forstanden". And then practice the "å". :)

lasse braun

serious question:
as early born 60s i lived a very well time in my twen-time (teen time too in the sexy 70s) in the 80s and now some people/ESC-blogger talking about this very important danish dynamite song from 2021.
question: is this song cool & really authentic?
lasse has some arguments against!
depeche mode,david bowie,tears for fears,OMD,eurythmics,yazoo,ultrafox,yello,neue deutsche welle like trio,alphaville,falco and many more had no idea what will happen in 2021. xrollinglol

cassio

serious question:
as early born 60s i lived a very well time in my twen-time (teen time too in the sexy 70s) in the 80s and now some people/ESC-blogger talking about this very important danish dynamite song from 2021.
question: is this song cool & really authentic?
lasse has some arguments against!
depeche mode,david bowie,tears for fears,OMD,eurythmics,yazoo,ultrafox,yello,neue deutsche welle like trio,alphaville,falco and many more had no idea what will happen in 2021. xrollinglol

ha ha ha UltraFox (Ultravox) I would not compare Fyr & Flame and øve os på hinanden (terrible titel) to any of those groupe or artists you are mentioning NOT even the highly intelligent and smashing hit Da Da Da (Trio)

Øve os på hinanden is a homage to primary danish entries in ESC in the 80' (but also swedish and norwegian) Sku' du spør fra nogen or vi maler byen rød or Video Video ,,,

In a German perspective think of it as Die Schlagerparade with Heino and Hannelore

Last edited:

lasse braun

Øve os på hinanden is a homage to primary danish entries in ESC in the 80' (but also swedish and norwegian) Sku' du spør fra nogen or vi maler byen rød or Video Video ,,,

In a German perspective think of it as Die Schlagerparade with Heino and Hannelore
ok thanks - I have learned something here.:)

jatojo

I don't think Fyr & Flamme is anyway near the old Schlagerparades. It would be just as wrong to compare them to Schlagerparade as to ABBA (which I've also seen some do). In fact, the typical German schlagers are not in the same category as the Danish Melodi Grand Prix pop of the 1980's - the traditional schlagers were already considered outdated by many in the 80's.

I think a band like Herreys are much closer to Fyr & Flamme.

Last edited:

Ekholmia

I really like this! At first I used to call the song a guilty pleasure, but I think that is wrong, I'm very much into this song! It just puts a smile on your face. Fingers crossed for a Q to the final.

jatojo

Fyr og Flamme = ZDF Fernsehgarten Intro :)
Lol, that's a funny comparison, I just found the clip. Well, I do think that "Øve Os På Hinanden" has some of that, but if you listen to their other songs, it's more in the direction of Modern Talking.

Still, the time gap makes their songs sound a little different than an 80's song although some claim it's taken straight out of the 80's. But it could be interesting to discuss how the song is different from the schlager genre that is always represented by at least one entry in the final at Melfest.

Last edited:

midnightsun

Veteran
You know, I‘m not loving this song for no reason. The 80s were my childhood and songs like this were permanently on TV, either as show intros or breaks between two shows or during ads etc.
I was kidding a bit with ZDF Fernsehgarten because that was the most popular most seen Schlagershow at the time in Germany.
Actually Iceland‘s song last year was more kind of Fernsehgarten than this one but I‘m just so happy about the song because Øve os på hinanden basically sums up my childhood! :love:

cassio

I don't think Fyr & Flamme is anyway near the old Schlagerparades. It would be just as wrong to compare them to Schlagerparade as to ABBA (which I've also seen some do). In fact, the typical German schlagers are not in the same category as the Danish Melodi Grand Prix pop of the 1980's - the traditional schlagers were already considered outdated by many in the 80's.

I think a band like Herreys are much closer to Fyr & Flamme.

Hi jatojo

My reply to our German friend was more or less were ether Øve os på hinanden is a synth-pop style (Depeche Mode / Deutsche Welle) or a schlager style (Heino / Hinterseer or Hereys) Our friend is German and I don't now how much he knows about Schlager music and in particular Scandinavian vs German Schlager but I do now that most Germans have heard about Heino and some also his wife Hannelore.

Hmm Traditional Schlager, I don't know what that was.... In the 80's Jodle Birge Richard Rangvald and Lis and Per became very popular among Schlager fans and mostly any popular Schlager song in the 70' is a translation into danish.

I do agree with you that the swedish esc entries is much closer to our danish esc entries than the German ones
but take a listen to the German song: Die Flippers - Lotusblume from the 80'

I wrote a little pice off what I remember / had to look up about Schlager:

In Germany, Austria and Switzerland Schlager was originally based on a sing along tradition mix with folke (Volkslieder) and several other categories like Heimatlieder (songs about a region or cities / nature) and March music. Artists like Freddy Beck, Heino and Peter Alexander e.g: Heino - Blau Blüt der Enzian. In the 80's the Schlager music adopted a more electronic music style, but the old Schlager tradition coexisted with the new style (new style: Die Flippers - Lotusblume.) The German Schlager entries in the ESC in the 80's were more or less the new modern style. Songs from artists like Nicole, Lena Valatis, Katja Ebstein and Wind. Today Schlager music is very much alive and not only via ESC. Artists like Hansi Hinterseer & Helene Fischer has a modern aswell as traditional expression.

I Sweden Schlager music has went though many changes. It dates back to 30's were it has roots in operetta, jazz and cabaret styled music. In the 60's and 70's the term dansband (danceband) rises witch was bands who turred around Sweden to entertain at dance events. The style changed in the 60's to a more pop genre with inspiration in folk and Country / Western (e.g. Vikingana (1958 - 2004) - skomakar - Anton or Leende Guldbruna Egon). In the 80' the Swedish schlager went more electronic but kept some of the roots from the Swedish folk music (major artists 's e.g Carola - Främling or Tomas Ledin & Agnetha Fälskog - never again ... and many many more) were as the country genre disappeared. In the 90's techno and rock elements became part of Schlager too. Today the Swedish Schlager music mostly exists because of Melodifestivalen.

The major difference between German and Swedish Schlager in the 80's is that German Schlager expression has mostly a melancholic and sentimental lyric were as the Swedish is more bright / easy listen feel with lyrics about happy things. e.g from ESC Lena Valaitis - Johnny Blue. vs Carola - Främling.

I Denmark we have actually never used Schlager as a music style like Sweden and Germany. At the end of the 60's some of the German Schlager hits became a hit in Denmark in a danish version ( Gid du var I Skanderborg - German:Wärst du docs in Düsseldorf geblieben or En knald rød gummibåd - German: Er hat ein knall Rotes Gummiboot.) some Danish Schlager artists from the 60 to 80's are Jhonny Raimar, Birte Kjær og Bjørn Tideman. I 1978 Denmark Reentered The Eurovision and the Schlager scene in Denmark moved to Dansk Melodi Grad Prix along with it the Schlager music became rooted in the Swedish style. e.g Bamses Venner - Tænker altid på dig or Birte Kjær - Vi maler byen rød. Outside ESC in the 80's the artists were Richard Ragnvald & Jotle Birge and Lis & Per witch sang mostly translated songs (country from US / Germany and Sweden) The Swedish dansband style saw a revival in the start of the 90's by danish bands like: Kim & Hallo and Kandis. Today. the danish Schlager music is more or les died out with some revivals like fyr and flamme.

Last edited:

cassio

You know, I‘m not loving this song for no reason. The 80s were my childhood and songs like this were permanently on TV, either as show intros or breaks between two shows or during ads etc.
I was kidding a bit with ZDF Fernsehgarten because that was the most popular most seen Schlagershow at the time in Germany.
Actually Iceland‘s song last year was more kind of Fernsehgarten than this one but I‘m just so happy about the song because Øve os på hinanden basically sums up my childhood! :love:
Nice Maybe I can ask you to take a look at what I have written about The German Schlager to Jatojo ?? and please feel free to correct me if Im wrong.

midnightsun

Veteran
It’s true there were differences between German Schlager and Swedish Schlager in the 80s. I myself divide (German) Schlager in three main categories.

Heino, Peter Alexander etc. were/are considered Volksmusik here, so no real Schlager.

We had „Oldie Schlager“ here, basically 60s/70s Schlager, like Gitte, Siw Malmkvist, Bata Illic, Katja Ebstein, Christian Anders... who were actually quite modern at the time, like international oldies, only in German.

In the 80s and 90s there were mainly more softer Schlager, that‘s what the „real“ Schlager is to me. Really dated, mainly adults would listen to it (and me as a kid because my mum had them on all the time) and not as contemporary as Swedish Schlager. Flippers is a really good example, they were Germany‘s most popular Schlager band. Udo Jürgens, Roland Kaiser, Howard Carpendale and Roger Whittaker (his German songs) were some very popular Schlager acts.

Nowadays what we would call Schlager (Helene Fischer etc.) are mostly dance pop electronic Schlager, rather contemporary, mixed with rather old school Schlager like in the 90s/2000s with popular (often female) singers like Kristina Bach, Claudia Jung, Andrea Berg, Michelle etc.

Actually Fyr og Flamme don’t fit in any of the categories yet you will find their sound in many parts of various Schlagers throughout the years. But like I said, the sound was actually more typical for German TV shows.

To me they have some 80s britpop in the song as well. Do you know the song „Pandora‘s box“ by the British band OMD?
The chorus of the song is quite similar in style and beat.

jatojo

To me they have some 80s britpop in the song as well. Do you know the song „Pandora‘s box“ by the British band OMD?

Good example! And the chorus of their first hit "Menneskeforbruger" is almost 100 percent a copy of London Beat's "You Bring On The Sun". (If Fyr & Flamme was a big name in a big country, they would definitely have had to pay for that.) London Beat's song is from the early 90's.

In my view, "Øve Os På Hinanden" is only a schlager in the chorus. The chorus is, at the same time, the reason why I'm not the biggest fan of the song. I don't really like the schlager genre. For the same reason, I was never into Charlotte Perrelli. I think her songs have too much schlager in them, although they of course are more modern than Gitte Hænning and that sort of stuff.

As I recall, there are no real schlagers that have won the Danish Melodi Grand Prix in the last decades, possibly never. You could argue that Bamses Venner's song in 1980 was a schlager, but that was only in the chorus then.

midnightsun

Veteran
Funny that you took Londonbeat as an example. I love this band. And a few weeks ago I wrote in the Dutch thread that the verses of Birth of a new age reminds me of something an aged Londonbeat would release now. :)

Well, you can’t vote for your own country so it’s okay if you don’t like the chorus :LOL:... I would totally vote for them if they go to the final and I know a lot of Germans love the song, also many of the German broadcaster team ... unfortunately there‘s the big IF. IF they make it to the final. I wouldn’t rule it out but chances are not that high.

jatojo

Funny that you took Londonbeat as an example. I love this band. And a few weeks ago I wrote in the Dutch thread that the verses of Birth of a new age reminds me of something an aged Londonbeat would release now. :)

Well, you can’t vote for your own country so it’s okay if you don’t like the chorus :LOL:... I would totally vote for them if they go to the final and I know a lot of Germans love the song, also many of the German broadcaster team ... unfortunately there‘s the big IF. IF they make it to the final. I wouldn’t rule it out but chances are not that high.
I would LOVE to see Fyr & Flamme go to the final. It would be an upset, partly because the entry was very underrated in the early stages, and partly because it's in Danish.

I'm probably just suffering from the they-should-have-picked-a-different-song disease. The same disease that I have when it comes to Bulgaria. It's hard to recover from.

Last edited:

cassio

It’s true there were differences between German Schlager and Swedish Schlager in the 80s. I myself divide (German) Schlager in three main categories.

Heino, Peter Alexander etc. were/are considered Volksmusik here, so no real Schlager.

We had „Oldie Schlager“ here, basically 60s/70s Schlager, like Gitte, Siw Malmkvist, Bata Illic, Katja Ebstein, Christian Anders... who were actually quite modern at the time, like international oldies, only in German.

In the 80s and 90s there were mainly more softer Schlager, that‘s what the „real“ Schlager is to me. Really dated, mainly adults would listen to it (and me as a kid because my mum had them on all the time) and not as contemporary as Swedish Schlager. Flippers is a really good example, they were Germany‘s most popular Schlager band. Udo Jürgens, Roland Kaiser, Howard Carpendale and Roger Whittaker (his German songs) were some very popular Schlager acts.

Nowadays what we would call Schlager (Helene Fischer etc.) are mostly dance pop electronic Schlager, rather contemporary, mixed with rather old school Schlager like in the 90s/2000s with popular (often female) singers like Kristina Bach, Claudia Jung, Andrea Berg, Michelle etc.

Actually Fyr og Flamme don’t fit in any of the categories yet you will find their sound in many parts of various Schlagers throughout the years. But like I said, the sound was actually more typical for German TV shows.

We didn't have those tv shows like them on ARD on Saturday evenings. My Father loved them. We had only one tv so it was either Heino or no tv!!

To me the first time I heard Fyr & Flame 2 seconds in the song .... its Dansk Melodi Grand Prix 1983 and oh no!! Of cause it must have some synth-pop in it as almost every pop song from the 80's had. As I remember the 80's Grand Prix songs was modern cheesy schlager / pop songs, were as OMD, Human Leage, Kraftwerk.. was high quality pop. If they would have participated in the Eurovision it would have been a disaster.

Fyr and Flamme could have won Grand Prix in 1983 but would have flopped in the charts. From 1977 to 1993 there was no Dansk Top chart on the radio. Other than that I do not know why I do not hear the link to OMD, I think the Grand Prix music genre is hard coded into my head. I love OMD even their newest album, but Pandoras Box gave me (in the beginning) a bad vibe of Stock Atkin and Watermann ... very strange...

Milos-BC

I like it quite a lot. It's not among my main favorites but I enjoy it every time I listen to it. And I agree with many of the previous comments, it's very nostalgic and it reminds me of the old ESCs (back from the 80s-90s era). I would love to see them through.

7 points.

Top Bottom