Contact us

Dark Horse for 2011

markovs

OK, for it to be a real dark horse the song cannot be high in the betting as they would be considered the 'favourites'. So that rules out France, UK, Estonia, Hungary, Azerbaijan, Sweden (surprisingly, as it's rubbish), Germany, Bosnia & H, Russia and Ireland who are the top 10 in the betting and all 20-1 or under, so can't really be considered 'dark horses'.

Outside of them, I would offer 3 songs as potential dark horses and my reasons

Turkey - Seems to be largely forgotten but is a good solid rock song, they perform it well, Turkey get many diaspora and neighbour votes and generally do well with the juries. You can get 66-1 on this for top 4, a pretty good bet in a weak year.

Austria - For me this is the best ballad in the competition and has a fantastic ending. She is a very good singer and if is lucky to be near the end in the draw could make an impression. Not a winner, but could sneak top 4 at good odds.

Denmark - Again, largely written off, but for me this is a very good torch type song, well sung. It would definitely need to be right at the end of the draw to make a big impression but a good each way bet for me.

aletem

I think Macedonia can be a dark horse in terms of qualifying, as their performance did not disappoint at all.

LadyKiller

Banned
After watching the rehearsals, I believe and hope Cyprus will be the dark horse.

asia

Lol @ scooby, do they have meadow's in san marino? Thought it was mountainous? Good point though, god forbid if they do win, where would they hold it :s

Sabrewulf238

I'd like to say Albania but I don't really believe that...

So I'll say I think Georgia will be this years dark horse.

AlekS

Veteran
After watching the rehearsals, imo almost all faves deserve to flop.

Dark horses --> Denmark, Ukraine, Cyprus, Austria, Switzerland, Albania, Turkey.

QwaarJet

ESC Moderator
After the first semi, Serbia and Greece look like they could surprise everyone in the final.

Grinch

Georgia - Well deserved
Greece - xheart
Lithuania - wtf?

I strongly hope Netherlands & my sweet Cyprus will do great in sf2 and be dark horses.

QwaarJet

ESC Moderator
Agreed with Cyprus. Although my vote is for Bulgaria in the second semi, I feel like Cyprus may need that vote more, and it surely deserves to go through.

A weak voice from the back of my brains told me that Lithuania could qualify since it was the only real Eurovision ballad in semi-1 but then I saw everybody hating on it or not even mentioning it, so I changed my mind. That wasn't that unpredictable, actually. I would've been more surprised if Malta'd qualified.

Top Bottom