16 8.1%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Mainshow

Veteran
It totally makes sense that "Czech Republic" got dropped now (and not earlier) since the UN just officially changed it a few months ago (after Turin 2022). UEFA also just changed it last year.

It´s reassuring that "adopting the new name and official of the country" might have been the reason why it took some time to officially announce Vesna´s song as their entry.

nofuxCZ

People just need to get used to the short form. I am old enough to remember the controversy about the short form of the Czech Republic in the Czech language. Back in the 90s and 00s, the short form Česko was controversial and hated by many. Nowadays, nobody blinks an eye and it's completely normal and widely used. The same will and should happen with Czechia.

Franzilein

The live vocals are insanely weak, could be another Austria 2022 in the making if they don't improve. The song itself is fine; albeit a bit too... convoluted and overblown for my taste, especially towards the end. Can't see them getting much from the juries.

Brandt

Can we change the thread name to Czechia now? It's about time ESC recognised the name change!!
Funny how it takes only months until Eurovision started using Türkiye but took years and years for Czechia.

Yazy

I´m giving it :7: for now. Could grow on me more potentially.

Things I like: the beat, the vibe, the harmony they make with the vocals, the chorus and the instant intro.

Rap verses are just okay. Rap is usually not my thing but I don´t mind it here because the beat thankfully manages to keep the attention.

Off topic: To be fair, I feel that the only song thus far where the rap actually slaps hard is UMK´s "Cha Cha Cha".

Ezio

Veteran
Yesterday I was wondering if this could be this year's Halo. The video is just epic and the music in the video slaps. But the live is not much interesting. I hope for Czechia and myself that this is not the fan favourite flop of the year. But as a Central European nation, it's hard to count on any votes to begin with.

midnightsun

Veteran
Completely agree. I still don´t understand why the EBU still uses Czech Republic instead of Czechia, I mean Germany isn´t called "Federal Republic of Germany" either.
Plus, in Germany we’ve been calling the Czech Republic "Tschechien" (=Czechia) ever since!

Mainshow

Veteran
CENTRAL EUROPEAN COUNTRIES (TELEVOTING 2010-2022)

COUNTRYQUALIFIEDDID NOT QUALIFY
AUSTRIA2011 "The Secret Is Love" (#10)
2014 "Rise Like A Phoenix" (#1)
2016 "Loin d´ici" (#2)
2018 "Nobody But You" (#5)
2012 "Woki mit dem Popo" (#17)
2013 "Shine" (#15)
2017 "Running On Air" (#14)
2019 "Limits" (#18)
2021 "Amen" (#15)
2022 "Halo" (#11)
CZECHIA2015 "Hope Never Dies" (#10)
2018 "Lie To Me" (#2)
2022 "Lights Off" (#3)
2016 "I Stand" (#12)
2017 "My Turn" (#18)
2021 "Omaga" (#17)
HUNGARY2011 "What About My Dreams?" (#8)
2019 "Friend Of A Friend" (#6)
2013 "Kedvesem" (#8)
2014 "Running" (#2)
2016 "Pioneer" (#3)
2017 "Origo" (#2)
2018 "Viszlát nyár" (#5)
2012 "Sound Of Our Hearts" (#11)
2015 "Wars For Nothing" (#11)
2019 "Az én apám" (#14)
POLAND2014 "My Slowianie - We Are Slavic" (#3)
2015 "In The Name Of Love" (#4)
2016 "Color Of Your Life" (#4)
2017 "Flashlight" (#6)
2018 "Light Me Up" (#10)
2019 "Fire Of Love" (#8)
2022 "River" (#4)
2010 "Legend" (#13)
2011 "Jestem" (#17)
2021 "The Ride" (#13)
SLOVENIA2011 "No One" (#7)
2014 "Round And Round "(#9)
2015 "Here For You" (#7)
2018 "Hvala, ne!" (#9)
2019 "Sebi" (#5)
2010 "Narodnozabavni Rock" (#16)
2013 "Straight Into Love" (#16)
2016 "Blue And Red" (#17)
2017 "On My Way" (#16)
2021 "Amen" (#14)
2022 "Disko" (#17)
SWITZERLAND2012 "Unbreakable" (#10)
2013 "You And Me" (#5)
2014 "Hunter Of Stars" (#4)
2017 "Apollo" (#10)
2019 "She Got Me" (#3)
2021 "Tout l´univers" (#3)
2010 "Il pleut de lór" (#17)
2011 "In Love For A While" (#12)
2015 "Time To Shine" (#17)
2016 "The Last Of Our Kind" (#18)
2018 "Stones" (#15)
2022 "Boys Do Cry" (#16)

Central European Contries ranked by qualification rate (televoting)

#1 HUNGARY 70%
#1 POLAND 70%
#3 CZECHIA 50%
#3 SWITZERLAND 50%
#5 SLOVENIA 45,5%
#6 AUSTRIA 40%

saved by juries::ch: 2011 :hu: 2012 :hu: 2015 :cz: 2016 :at: 2017 :ch: 2022killed by juries::ch: 2012 :ch: 2013 :cz: 2015 :ch: 2017 :pl: 2018 :pl: 2019
tried to be saved by juries::at: 2013 :sl: 2016 :cz: 2017 :ch: 2018tried to be killed by juries::hu: 2013 :pl: 2014 :pl: 2015 :at: 2016 :pl: 2016 :pl: 2017 :hu: 2018

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a Central Europe coming from "two countries" (in terms of ethnicity/origin), I think that it´s wrong to assume that Central European countries are facing a big disadvantage at Eurovision. That´s not the case - If you look at the ratio/qualification rates, it´s really balanced, imo and there are quite some entries which got robbed or ranked lower by the juries.
:ch: is the best example... if the new (100% televoting) rule would have been introduced earlier, :ch: would have had more appearances in the GF.

:cz: would have had the same ratio (just "Hope Never Dies" instead of "I Stand" as a qualifier).

:at: arguably don´t profit from this new rules but there are years in which juries ranked them lower than the televoting did: 2016 and 2022, for example. The question remains if :at: tends to send jury pleasers on purpose.. personally, I don´t think that songs like "Shine" or "Running On Air" (which did/would have qualified due to juries) were really that competitive.

Poland and Hungary often got terribly robbed by the juries.

If you take all Central European countries into account, televoting clearly is not less well-disposed towards them than the juries.

Juries even tried to "kill off" more songs from Central European countries.
Luckily, televoters saved them.

Thus, the new change rule is IN FAVOR of Central European Countries.

Last edited:

Ezio

Veteran
CENTRAL EUROPEAN COUNTRIES (TELEVOTING 2010-2022)

COUNTRYQUALIFIEDDID NOT QUALIFY
AUSTRIA2011 "The Secret Is Love" (#10)
2014 "Rise Like A Phoenix" (#1)
2016 "Loin d´ici" (#2)
2018 "Nobody But You" (#5)
2012 "Woki mit dem Popo" (#17)
2013 "Shine" (#15)
2017 "Running On Air" (#14)
2019 "Limits" (#18)
2021 "Amen" (#15)
2022 "Halo" (#11)
CZECHIA2015 "Hope Never Dies" (#10)
2018 "Lie To Me" (#2)
2022 "Lights Off" (#3)
2016 "I Stand" (#12)
2018 "My Turn" (#18)
2021 "Omaga" (#17)
HUNGARY2011 "What About My Dreams?" (#8)
2019 "Friend Of A Friend" (#6)
2013 "Kedvesem" (#8)
2014 "Running" (#2)
2016 "Pioneer" (#3)
2017 "Origo" (#2)
2018 "Viszlát nyár" (#5)
2012 "Sound Of Our Hearts" (#11)
2015 "Wars For Nothing" (#11)
2019 "Az én apám" (#14)
POLAND2014 "My Slowianie - We Are Slavic" (#3)
2015 "In The Name Of Love" (#4)
2016 "Color Of Your Life" (#4)
2017 "Flashlight" (#6)
2018 "Light Me Up" (#10)
2019 "Fire Of Love" (#8)
2022 "River" (#4)
2010 "Legend" (#13)
2011 "Jestem" (#17)
2021 "The Ride" (#13)
SLOVENIA2011 "No One" (#7)
2014 "Round And Round "(#9)
2015 "Here For You" (#7)
2018 "Hvala, ne!" (#9)
2019 "Sebi" (#5)
2010 "Narodnozabavni Rock" (#16)
2013 "Straight Into Love" (#16)
2016 "Blue And Red" (#17)
2017 "On My Way" (#16)
2021 "Amen" (#14)
2022 "Disko" (#17)
SWITZERLAND2012 "Unbreakable" (#10)
2013 "You And Me" (#5)
2014 "Hunter Of Stars" (#4)
2017 "Apollo" (#10)
2019 "She Got Me" (#3)
2021 "Tout l´univers" (#3)
2010 "Il pleut de lór" (#17)
2011 "In Love For A While" (#12)
2015 "Time To Shine" (#17)
2016 "The Last Of Our Kind" (#18)
2018 "Stones" (#15)
2022 "Boys Do Cry" (#16)

Central European Contries ranked by qualification rate (televoting)

#1 HUNGARY 70%
#1 POLAND 70%
#3 CZECHIA 50%
#3 SWITZERLAND 50%
#5 SLOVENIA 45,5%
#6 AUSTRIA 40%

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a Central Europe coming from "two countries" (in terms of ethnicity/origin), I think that it´s wrong to assume that Central European countries are facing a big disadvantage at Eurovision. That´s not the case - If you look at the ratio/qualification rates, it´s really balanced, imo and there are quite some entries which got robbed or ranked lower by the juries.
:ch: is the best example... if the new (100% televoting) rule would have been introduced earlier, :ch: would have had more appearances in the GF.

:cz: would have had the same ratio (just "Hope Never Dies" instead of "I Stand" as a qualifier).

:at: arguably don´t profit from this new rules but there are years in which juries ranked them lower than the televoting did: 2016 and 2022, for example. The question remains if :at: tends to send jury pleasers on purpose.. personally, I don´t think that songs like "Shine" or "Running On Air" (which did/would have qualified due to juries) were really that competitive.

Poland and Hungary often got terribly robbed by the juries.

If you take all Central European countries into account, televoting clearly is not less well-disposed towards them than the juries.
Any qualification rate below 60% is a testament to a disavantage, since there arent 20 countries competing in a semi but 16 to 18. You make 50% look like a fair shot when it's actually not.

Despite Poland and Hungary, none of these countries has diaspora and/or a voting block. So, it's really ironic that based on your own posting there would be nothing to see here, so let's move on:ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO:

MopManMoss

Veteran
Any qualification rate below 60% is a testament to a disavantage, since there arent 20 countries competing in a semi but 16 to 18. You make 50% look like a fair shot when it's actually not.
This line of thought only works if you assume that ever song is of an equal quality which clearly is not the case especially with Austria yet you constantly make excuses anyway, seriously go back and read last years Austria thread and just look at all the excuses you made for Pia Maria, it's all there.

Even when prevented with cold hard statistics that clearly go against your claims you still proudly display your ignorance, you do not have to constantly make excuses for your country at eurovision trust me im british and irish

Mainshow

Veteran
This line of thought only works if you assume that ever song is of an equal quality which clearly is not the case especially with Austria yet you constantly make excuses anyway, seriously go back and read last years Austria thread and just look at all the excuses you made for Pia Maria, it's all there.

Even when prevented with cold hard statistics that clearly go against your claims you still proudly display your ignorance, you do not have to constantly make excuses for your country at eurovision trust me im british and irish

This - my point was that televoting does not discriminate Central European Countries - in fact, juries tried to make less entries qualify.
That´s a fact and I presented the numbers.

Of course, we can discuss different songs based on individual tastes in music but the "quality" remains the same. Performances like "Halo" don´t get a 50% chance to qualify (and don´t deserve them) - and I don´t think that songs like "Shine" or "Running On Air" (despite being "quite nice") were "of ground-breaking quality to be saved by juries" in the first place. Of course, it´s debatable but what I wanted to make clear:
- Juries tried to make less entries from Central European qualify but they got saved by televoters
- the new rule in the semi final doesn´t change much. In fact, we would have seen a few more Central European entries at Eurovision (and some would have been swapped as well).

Ezio

Veteran
In any case, even if Vesna were to sing completely out of tune, they should have already locked in what's left of the Slavic vote.
This - my point was that televoting does not discriminate Central European Countries - in fact, juries tried to make less entries qualify.
That´s a fact and I presented the numbers.

Of course, we can discuss different songs based on individual tastes in music but the "quality" remains the same. Performances like "Halo" don´t get a 50% chance to qualify (and don´t deserve them) - and I don´t think that songs like "Shine" or "Running On Air" (despite being "quite nice") were "of ground-breaking quality to be saved by juries" in the first place. Of course, it´s debatable but what I wanted to make clear:
- Juries tried to make less entries from Central European qualify but they got saved by televoters
- the new rule in the semi final doesn´t change much. In fact, we would have seen a few more Central European entries at Eurovision (and some would have been swapped as well).
You throw Poland into a mix with rest of Central European countries and try to spin a general narrative.

Poland was usually down voted by juries and usually boosted by televotes because it's got millions of diaspora including yourself. What applies to Poland doesnt apply to anyone else here. Period!

As a cold matter of fact, Poland tops the qualification record of the chosen countries and as another cold matter of fact it's only at 70% which isnt that great either but specifically due to lack of jury support.

So, the CEC are those with the worst qualification record.

And yes, there have always been shitty songs qualifying when a CEC country, most specifically Switzerland, Austria, Slovenia, did not advance.

Poland and Hungary aren't actually Central European countries since they are directly bordered to Kaliningrad, Belarus, Ukraine and Romania. It doesnt get much more Eastern that that on the map.

So the argument that the songs would have just been to shitty for the is totally refutable, dispensable and tepid. But I am not offended by it, because it makes only those with these claims look like shallow people. Nothing offensive about that.

As another matter of fact, a song called Halo from shitty Austria topped many fan polls and was even voted #1 to qualify from their semi on the toxic ESC kompakt site. So, the fact why they earned not to qualify is merely based on jealousy besides a lack of natural voting support rather than on merits of being a banger of a song.

Last edited:

MopManMoss

Veteran
As another matter of fact, a song called Halo from shitty Austria topped many fan polls and was even voted #1 to qualify from their semi on the toxic ESC kompakt site. So, the fact why they earned not to qualify is merely based on jealousy besides a lack of natural voting support rather than on merits of being a banger of a song.
Yes we all loved Halo and then we heard Pia at the Israel pre party and it all fell apart from there, in the 2022 thread you blamed Austria's result on; politics, lumix's arm movements, the structure on stage, hatred of Austrians, Pia's hairstyle.

How can you still not accept the only think that tanked Austria last year was Pia's inability to sing?

Vesna's performance at ESCZ was messy no doubt about it but the vocal ability was nowhere near the level of Halo so any comparisons are moronic

Mainshow

Veteran
In any case, even if Vesna were to sing completely out of tune, they should have already locked in what's left of the Slavic vote.

You throw Poland into a mix with rest of Central European countries and try to spin a general narrative.

Poland was usually down voted by juries and usually boosted by televotes because it's got millions of diaspora including yourself. What applies to Poland doesnt apply to anyone else here. Period!

As a cold matter of fact, Poland tops the qualification record of the chosen countries and as another cold matter of fact it's only at 70% which isnt that great either but specifically due to lack of jury support.

So, the CEC are those with the worst qualification record.

And yes, there have always been shitty songs qualifying when a CEC country, most specifically Switzerland, Austria, Slovenia, did not advance.

Poland and Hungary aren't actually Central European countries since they are directly bordered to Kaliningrad, Belarus, Ukraine and Romania. It doesnt get much more Eastern that that on the map.

So the argument that the songs would have just been to shitty for the is totally refutable, dispensable and tepid. But I am not offended by it, because it makes only those with these claims look like shallow people. Nothing offensive about that.

If Poland´s diaspora is "so strong" - why didn´t Poland qualify with the televoters in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2021?
I included Poland because it is indeed a Central European country. I don´t have to spin a narrative because it´s a geographical fact. If users (you included) throw Czechia, Hungary into the mix, Poland - for sure - falls into the same category.

"Europe" ends in the North of Azerbaijan and the Ural mountains. Even Kazakhstan got territories in Europe.

In most definitions, the countries of Central Europe are Germany, Poland, the Czech Republic, Austria, Slovakia, Slovenia, and Hungary. In some definitions, Switzerland and Croatia would also belong to Central Europe, as well as Bosnia-Herzegovina, Montenegro, Serbia, North Macedonia and Albania.

"Halo" was a fan favourite indeed - but not a really big one (#10 on the OGAE voting - 320 points behind the winner)... but aren´t you a long-term Eurovision fan and should know that "being a fan favourite" doesn´t mean anything in terms of qualification in May? Hardcore fans usually prefer bops/pop/Swedish Schlager, female-led songs and rank their a part of the songs based on studio versions and have heard them several times before.

"Halo" almost made it - #11 in televoting despite the messed up live vocals/performance.. so maybe the fans who placed "Halo on top of that toxic German fanpage actually voted for it?"

Top Bottom