• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

apasionata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vocal powerhouse Miss Gunčikova back for revenge in 2023 with some masterpiece akin to this: xcheer

Slabsson79

Vocal powerhouse Miss Gunčikova back for revenge in 2023 with some masterpiece akin to this: xcheer

I do not think she will ever come back to ESC. Would surely be a good choice with an appropriate song, but highly unlikely.

We have to search in a different place.
Question is: Which style? Which language?
Personally, I think it is time to bring Czech to the Grand final :)

Slabsson79

Czech TV is going to fire 250 employees and is planning 1 billion CZK cuts for 2023-2024.
They will restrict their own production in all areas.
Let's see what this means for our future participation in ESC, but if we stay, then I guess we can't expect live national final on TV...
Well, they have to pay the EBU-fees anyway. Sure, a live NF and a huge promotion is more costly than an online final. In general however, the participation at the ESC is far more cheaper than one would think, if unfamiliar with the matter. Of course, with rather meager viewing rates, this argument gets weaker, but it is always another broadcaster, who pays for the show and Czech TV simply transmits via Eurovision. And if lucky, even with a Czech contestant in the final. Thus, money cuts could inhibit the ESC-participation of Czechia given the low interest but it should not be the primary "target" cause the costs are relatively LOW and the outreach HIGH.

shameless

with the countries sharing a lot of markets, I am still amazed how Slovakia once (in 2010) managed to have a giant NF on Lithunanian scale with 6 (!) quarterfinals. Like, was actually someone watching these days or where did this confidence come from?

0scar

Something as great as Light Off plz
still listening to that one to this day

boyardor

I don't know if you follow the official Facebook ESC for the Czech Republic but recently they reacted to the EBU's decision to hold ESC 2023 somewhere other than Ukraine and wrote: "Guess we might see you in the United Kingdom."

They haven't officially confirmed participation yet but I think they will be back next year. It would be strange for them to abandon the competition after qualifying for the final this year.

And my wish: I would like the Czech Republic to present We Are Domi & Lake Malawi or Mikolas Josef to come to the ESC. If neither of them would come I would like a song in Czech.

nofuxCZ

Do you find the silence worrying as well?
Yes, they occassionally post something on socials but nothing about our participation.

By this time, in the previous years, we already had a confirmed participation and the artists were already sending their entries with the deadline at the end of September

HayashiM

Veteran
I am worried as well. Especially because there hasn't been any official call for artists to submit their entries.

I feel like the "best" case scenario is the team had decided to continue going very low-key on official communication and surprises us after intense preparations behind the closed doors - but I don't think that is very probable. Given the cuts and everything else, things don't look very well.

boyardor

I have been trying to ask for about 2 months now on the official instagram of ESCZ: "Will the Czech Republic be at the Eurovision Song Contest 2023?". I've been asking in messages (where they don't answer) and under posts (where they always respond with a like).

If finances are the main problem, there is still the option not to organize NF but to choose a singer without NF.

I would be very sad if the Czech Republic would leave the contest. In my opinion it is one of the best countries in Eurovision in recent times.

rasmuslights

Veteran
I have been trying to ask for about 2 months now on the official instagram of ESCZ: "Will the Czech Republic be at the Eurovision Song Contest 2023?". I've been asking in messages (where they don't answer) and under posts (where they always respond with a like).

If finances are the main problem, there is still the option not to organize NF but to choose a singer without NF.

I would be very sad if the Czech Republic would leave the contest. In my opinion it is one of the best countries in Eurovision in recent times.

I agree... I'd be very sad. it's a shame the contest isn't popular in cz.

A-lister

Veteran
I am not really sure why they would withdraw anyways, it's not like they've been doing awfully bad. Since the 2015 comeback to the contest, :cz: qualified to the final 4/7 times, 1 time in the top. 10 (once close to it) and 2 times in the top. 3 in the semis... and arguably with not very strong entries... sure it is not one of the most successful countries, but I wouldn't say it has been that bad for then either.

rasmuslights

Veteran
I am not really sure why they would withdraw anyways, it's not like they've been doing awfully bad. Since the 2015 comeback to the contest, :cz: qualified to the final 4/7 times, 1 time in the top. 10 (once close to it) and 2 times in the top. 3 in the semis... and arguably with not very strong entries... sure it is not one of the most successful countries, but I wouldn't say it has been that bad for then either.

it's more about the viewership, which is still one of the lowest in europe (along georgia)...

A-lister

Veteran
it's more about the viewership, which is still one of the lowest in europe (along georgia)...

Yeah, that part I understand. I was merely commenting the notion brought forward by some that they would withdraw based on results.

As for their low viewing numbers, I think part of the reason why is that they debuted in the contest very late and have no cemented history with the contest. We have countries which on average faired even worse than Czechia in the last 10 years or so but where it's still pretty popular, which I think could be connected with a long history and a loyal audience.

rasmuslights

Veteran
Yeah, that part I understand. I was merely commenting the notion brought forward by some that they would withdraw based on results.

As for their low viewing numbers, I think part of the reason why is that they debuted in the contest very late and have no cemented history with the contest. We have countries which on average faired even worse than Czechia in the last 10 years or so but where it's still pretty popular, which I think could be connected with a long history and a loyal audience.

definitely! agree with everything.

nofuxCZ

The results certainly wouldn't be the reason to withdraw. The government has not raised the public TV fees since 2008. As a result, Czech TV is in process of implementing budget cuts of 1 billion CZK. They said the cuts would affect all areas. Recently they sold part of their broadcasting rights for FIFA World Cup.

Our hope could be internally selected solo singer - they would cut costs on organizing the NF + solo singer means smaller delegation and related costs.

Slabsson79

The deadline has passed. Thus the question remains: Has the Czech Republic filed an application or not?
Let us hope that YES.

As for the costs....it would be kinda sad and funny, if Czech TV would be one of the few country broadcasters to withdraw. Economical hardships are pretty omnipresent these days, but when even much poorer countries participate, it would be really sad not to take part and progress to the final again :)

Last edited:

boyardor

If the Czech Republic does leave, hopefully it will only be for one year (as was the case with Armenia in 2021). But let's hope it has applied.

Top Bottom