16 8.1%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Mainshow

Veteran
I liked a comment that "Ukrainians need to stop claiming that a Russian is singing in Ukrainian" - I fail to see "my mistake" or anything which may go against "Slavic unity".

I´ve seen such comment(s) on FB before (they are in a tiny minority, though).

You are right, though, we shouldn´t be generalising and I also try to be more careful when it comes to my words on that matter but I didn´t see much harm there (honestly). I distinguish between "Germans" vs. "the Germans", for example and didn´t read that comment as "all/most Ukrainians"... but I can now understand why it must have been misleading and also a bit hurtful. My like meant no harm - sorry about that.

AlekS

Veteran
Sorry AlekS, but your initial reactions to this entry was also on that level. I don't need to go back and quote. I see you later on changed the tone a bit, but I wouldn't be so quick on jump on other members when you also contributed to that same narrative.
Notsorry, A-lister but I didn't generalize by nationality. The only issue I had with the band's Russian member is people misinterpreting their message because of current Russian propaganda narratives and Russian performing a song about sisterhood will have a double meaning here, and this is how it happened in the end.
I wouldn't be so quick to demean anything I say on this subject now :rolleyes:

Last edited:

AlekS

Veteran
There´s not a single thing which could led to RuZZian propaganda
The whole sisterhood concept is one big thing. Russia uses "3 sisters" (Russia-Ukraine-Belarus) unity propaganda against Ukraine, perverting our medieval history, implying that Ukraine never existed etc. Of course media will use her nationality against her. You won't start explaining people her biography, when they're on stage in Liverpool. People will see a band with Russian member performing a song about sisterhood. Even though she doesn't sing :lol:

Last edited:

Mainshow

Veteran
The whole sisterhood concept is one big thing. Russia uses "3 sisters" (Russia-Ukraine-Belarus) unity propaganda against Ukraine. Of course media will use her nationality against her. You won't start explaining people her biography, when they're on stage in Liverpool. People will see a band with Russian member performing a song about sisterhood.

But I don´t expect Vesna waving RuZZian, Bulgarian, Ukrainian, Slovak and Czech flags on stage so that - apart from viewers who had time to read more about Vesna (and their members) - no one will know about her birth country.. unless commentators will point it out on purpose - I think it´s important that the EBU hands out some scripts/advice how to deal with that situation so that it won´t turn into "a Russian, Bulgarian, Czech, Slovak will sing in Ukrainian to unite the Slavic world" comment fiasco

RuZZia´s "(RuZZia - BelaruZ - Ukraine) propaganda" needs to come to an end.
As a Central European with Polish blood, I started to think of a different concept of unity/Europe anyway and surely (and hopefully) most educated and young people think the same.

By "Slavic unity", I also include other Slavic countries who had suffered from fascism and communism (and also got invaded by RuZZians like Poland, the Czech Republic....). It is important to write some new history and reclaim history.
Poland has already become crucial to Europe´s economy and Ukraine proves to everyone in the world that they are the new defenders of democracy and the free world.

Last edited:

A-lister

Veteran
Notsorry, A-lister but I didn't generalize by nationality. The only issue I had with the band's Russian member is people misinterpreting their message because of current Russian propaganda narratives and Russian performing a song about sisterhood will have a double meaning here, and this is how it happened in the end.
I wouldn't be so quick to demean anything I say on this subject now :rolleyes:

I said what I said, not going to dig out the quotes but they are there if people want to go back and read.

With that said, and I said it repeatedly, I do understand where some Ukrainians are coming from with their criticism because I am fully aware of the ruZZian propaganda, but the criticism is misdirected and practically emphasize the ruZZian narrative.

A-lister

Veteran
The whole sisterhood concept is one big thing. Russia uses "3 sisters" (Russia-Ukraine-Belarus) unity propaganda against Ukraine. Of course media will use her nationality against her. You won't start explaining people her biography, when they're on stage in Liverpool. People will see a band with Russian member performing a song about sisterhood. Even though she doesn't sing :lol:

... And this is why it's important that we stop pushing the ruZZian narrative and take back ownership on the idea of Slavic unity.

AlekS

Veteran
I said what I said, not going to dig out the quotes but they are there if people want to go back and read.
People can read until their eyes bleed. I still think the same about the video (it's visually atrocious to me) and that Olesya's nationality will be used against her.

... And this is why it's important that we stop pushing the ruZZian narrative and take back ownership on the idea of Slavic unity.
That's why I can't wait to see their staging.

ps. The main Russian propaganda media are already emphasizing her nationality, as if they own the Czech entry.

Last edited:

Etanna

People can read until their eyes bleed. I still think the same about the video (it's visually atrocious to me) and that Olesya's nationality will be used against her.

That's why I can't wait to see their staging.

ps. The main Russian propaganda media are already emphasizing her nationality, as if they own the Czech entry.
Russian media will always find something to use for their propaganda, and if not they'll invent it.

So far Czech (gossip) media are emphasizing the fact that the song got banned in Russia and Belarus. All media that I've seen report on this - both gossip and serious - have emphasized the feminist/female empowerment message above all.

I know you've explained about the visuals being normal Slavic attires but for us (at least for me) it looks like a caricature. I associate it with "Marfuzhka" (the mean, awful sister) from the Morozko movie. In the context of the video I also interpret it in Beauvoirian fashion as women basically having to dress up and serve as dolls.

AlekS

Veteran
but for us (at least for me) it looks like a caricature. I associate it with "Marfuzhka" (the mean, awful sister) from the Morozko movie.
For me it looked like a caricature too, that's why I brought the original material to compare.
YES! Morozko was my very first thought :) Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed. Also, a Soviet movie is not the best association. Though, they did it in a modern arthouse way, almost like a drag makeup.

The director of the video said the original idea was to show how women pursue popular standards of artificial beauty, plastic surgery, totally opposite from being natural and staying true to yourself instead of pleasing male "wants" and needs. So they exaggerated their makeup on purpose. I bet Morozko character was a reference, but they didn't know that under current circumstances it can backfire. Not only it's a Soviet movie, but it's a caricature of a Slavic woman. When I was a kid I thought it was funny, brilliant acting etc. But as an adult you realize that it was an ode to "sterile" beauty where a woman plays the role assigned to her by patriarchy, erasing pre-Soviet culture & style / labeling it as something negative or changing it to something fake & harmless.

So the lyrics says one thing, but the video brings different associations to me. On paper it's awesome image of a damaged oppressed woman that breaks free (obvious parallels with Ukraine), but given the cultural references and the current situation, it will be obviously misinterpreted here.

Slabsson79

Two days and nothing. I actually start to suspect that it is not the EBU who is blocking the announcement, but Czech TV officials, who gave the ESCZ money and a free hand suddenly realized the possible and actual controversies and thus have not themselves officially anounced the representative and the song. Because I am sure the song itself does not violate the ESC-rulebook lege lata as the lyrics are implicite.

boyardor

Two days and nothing. I actually start to suspect that it is not the EBU who is blocking the announcement, but Czech TV officials, who gave the ESCZ money and a free hand suddenly realized the possible and actual controversies and thus have not themselves officially anounced the representative and the song. Because I am sure the song itself does not violate the ESC-rulebook lege lata as the lyrics are implicite.
But there: ct24.cz is official announcement on CT24 of Vesna.

Yesterday I asked Vesna on ig why isn´t their photo on official ig of ESC and they said that they will post it today.

boyardor

So maybe they post it on 8pm...

Slabsson79

But there: ct24.cz is official announcement on CT24 of Vesna.

Yesterday I asked Vesna on ig why isn´t their photo on official ig of ESC and they said that they will post it today.
Oh come on, I just want to spread some conspiracy too. :D I am not really familiar with the official procedures, but I am sure there is a protocol for who officially submits the official song for the particular EBU-member from each partaking country to an EBU-ESC-official. So maybe, Czechia has simply not done it yet for whatever reason and the EBU thus cannot announce a de iure participant for Czechia.

AlekS

Veteran
UA: PBC has published the announcement that Vesna will represent Czech Republic on ESC like 2 days ago.

Judging from NF production, I would be surprised if they will send the docs by the end of the week. Maybe they want the girls to sign the contract to make it official 4real.

Last edited:

midnightsun

Veteran
Letting all controversies aside:

I don’t think anyone watching ESC will think about this song as pro-Russian. Even if it WAS pro-Russia nobody in Europe would get the hint.
Everyone, me included, who’s gonna listen to it for the first time, will understand the English part only and the general feeling of this song. Everyone will immediately think of Ukraine, even if the song was meant totally unpolitical. Vesna would do themselves no favor and participate with a song that everyone would feel as pro-Ukraine when it was pro-Russia in reality.

That said, I totally get the concern of Ukrainians and I think Vesna, Czech TV and everyone else must be aware that some people would not be happy about it. They should release a statement on TV to wipe out all doubts that it’s not pro-Russia.

A-lister

Veteran
Letting all controversies aside:

I don’t think anyone watching ESC will think about this song as pro-Russian. Even if it WAS pro-Russia nobody in Europe would get the hint.
Everyone, me included, who’s gonna listen to it for the first time, will understand the English part only and the general feeling of this song. Everyone will immediately think of Ukraine, even if the song was meant totally unpolitical. Vesna would do themselves no favor and participate with a song that everyone would feel as pro-Ukraine when it was pro-Russia in reality.

That said, I totally get the concern of Ukrainians and I think Vesna, Czech TV and everyone else must be aware that some people would not be happy about it. They should release a statement on TV to wipe out all doubts that it’s not pro-Russia.

They should simply do what I have been advocating for the whole time;

Go out and say something like "for centuries russia has been using the narrative of Slavic unity in order to dominate over other Slavic people and they do so again in their war against Ukraine, with this entry we want to show that we as Slavic people stand united with Ukraine and for all Slavic people to be independent and free without the dominance of another, we want to take back the narrative, we believe in true unity and respect for one another and is 100% against this illegal war which goes against Slavic unity and solidarity".

Simple really, everyone who had any doubt before will get their point and they make a good statement. Maybe I should become their PR person for Eurovision :lol:

Maybe someone from Czechia can just copy this and send it to them and the broadcaster? And if I were the Czech broadcaster I would have all the commentators say something similar when presenting the entry in May.

nofuxCZ

My Sister's Crown is still doing exceptionally well in the charts. This is our first ESC entry that the public is genuinely interested in.
Still #4 on YT. On Spotify, they would have been in the top 10 if the two most popular artists (Viktor Sheen/Calin) hadn't released a new joint album a week ago (all of the 12 songs from the album are in top 15)
6tFlUBi.png

e1D1POb.png

The silence from the official Eurovision channels is unnerving, I hope all is well and the girls will be able to participate...

DirtyFalcon

This is now official on the Eurovision website : Vesna will represent the Czech Republic with their entry My Sister's Crown. I guess the competition is over. No one will beat this with the message of the song and the context. Congrats Czechs for your first victory ! I've already booked my flight for Prague

News here :

Top Bottom