9 6.3%

10 6.9%

15 10.4%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
Czech-Republic-scaled.jpg

Zonne147

Upgrading a :5: to a :6:, I'm now starting to like a bit the song. Hopefully it can grow more.

Alaska49

oh well hopefully the revamp makes it sound even more african

get those tears benny

Daybreak

So I finally heard the full version of the song and it's actually really enjoyable, it just didn't stand out during the snippet. There's some similar music made by Africans or African immigrants that I like (Magic System or for that matter, the French Eurovision entry 10 years ago).

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
I should like this song, it has all the elements (at least on paper) of a song that I would enjoy but something is not working for me here. Cannot wait for the revamp ^^ More African the better xo

Keeping it at 5 points xpokerface

QuirkyYodel

Possibly the biggest grower so far! Not sure whether this will do well or not in May but it’s surely an enjoyable song! xdance2

• Fuego
Reactions: Mrm

Daybreak

It crossed my mind earlier that they might try to make it less African instead, to supposedly have more general appeal or whatever. Thankfully it doesn't seem to be the case if he's outright flying to Kenya for this.

Uto

Veteran
For him to try and fix this mess in Kenya seems like a good move to me, at the very least it shows a willingness to make the most of the opportunity he's been given.

Uto

Veteran
Benny will perform his entry at :ua: Vidbir semi #2 this Saturday.
Ugh, I was planning on watching that. Now it has become worse.

Still going to be funny to see FO SHO and then Benny after that. He'll look like such a talentless chump.

Neo

Lol at the virtue signaling faux outrage at my comment.

As if any of you wouldn't shake your head and make a similar comment had the 'constellation' been different like an act in an African song contest do riverdance or bagpipes with a scottish accent for example.

The point is simply that it's a bad idea to not represent your country or regional identity, but appropriate someone else's. Just something as simple as Azerbaijan using Swedish writers has generated plenty of negative comments over the years, and it's exactly the same thing, or maybe worse as the first is a bad idea as in not doing well, but with the imported Swedish writers it's actually a good idea results wise and the negativity all about culture and identity.

EscGeek

Veteran
"A hell of a revamp" sounds very promising ngl
Personally i'd make the instrumentals more punchy, more vivid, more loud...
xyumba

onlybasic

I think it's safe to say that this song will not be the winner song of Eurovision this year. The song is just simply terrible and not very Eurovision-y.

HayashiM

Veteran

As if any of you wouldn't shake your head and make a similar comment had the 'constellation' been different like an act in an African song contest do riverdance or bagpipes with a scottish accent for example.

The point is simply that it's a bad idea to not represent your country or regional identity, but appropriate someone else's. Just something as simple as Azerbaijan using Swedish writers has generated plenty of negative comments over the years, and it's exactly the same thing, or maybe worse as the first is a bad idea as in not doing well, but with the imported Swedish writers it's actually a good idea results wise and the negativity all about culture and identity.
Look, I am personally slightly biased towards entries sung in the country's respective language, or towards entries that showcase that country's cultural heritage. But it's not like we have asked someone out of the country to write or sing our song for us.

Benny can't appropriate anyone's identity, because this is HIS identity. He is super popular here in :cz: and he is Czech. His songs rate high in our charts and play at our parties. For about a decade. From this point of view, he is more qualified to be a representative of :cz: than anyone else we have sent in the past 5 years. So I don't think you really have a case here.

Besides, it's not like Benny is being disrespectful of Africa in any way. He just does his thing and a lot of Czechs like it, so we send him, as simple as that.

Last edited:

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member

sis... don't make it worse

1 how can he appropriate it when its uhhhh part of his roots?
2 nobody has to "represent your country's identity". he doesn't have to sing czech traditional music if he doesn't want to. it is a song contest, not a TRADITIONAL song contest. most of the songs are not even traditional anyway
3 some people here deal with racism or xenophobia (or both) 24/7 of course we would be outraged by your comment what did you expect

Neo

Saying Angola is the roots of Czechia just notches up the comedy level.

This will bonk because of the reasons I stated. To say that's a racist take is snowflake virtue signaling like I said, as it is rude to me.

HayashiM

Veteran
Saying Angola is the roots of Czechia just notches up the comedy level.

This will bonk because of the reasons I stated. To say that's a racist take is snowflake virtue signaling like I said, as it is rude to me.
Call it what you want. If he flops then that's fine, as our televote specifically chose him. Our choice, not yours.

Top Bottom