10 5.1%

10 5.1%

7 3.6%

1 0.5%

3 1.5%

3 1.5%

• Total voters

nofuxCZ

I was really worried to see Czech media reactions on the results. But thankfully, it´s not that bad. As usual, there are some sarcastic commentaries (like "let´s compete with a song "1968" to finally win this strictly apolitical contest"), but nothing really harsh or too hysterical. Most of the articles are dedicated to Jamala and meaning of her song. Gabriela´s performance is rated positively and the contest as whole also seems to be seen in more positive light than last year (and years before), even if there is still no exaggerated enthusiasm. But that´s fine, Czechs are usually reserved like this. Most of the journalists can see things surprisingly realistically,saying that qualifying for the final already was a success. Mercifully, I haven´t seen any "Let´s withdraw from this pathetic circus!" hysteria anywhere. Yet. And I hope I won´t.

Reading people's comments on Facebook and other discussion sites - it doesn't look so good, most of the comments are very negative. Before the final it didn't look like this.

Terence

Last place was undeserved - but the "running order" shattered any chance for a better result - it's not as if the song screams "vote for me".

Hopefully they will do better in 2017 - slowly slowly they are getting there!

QwaarJet

ESC Moderator
Well we should keep things exactly as they are then. We have a diaspora counter and it worked last night. Even if I thought it was very bizarre and unfair how our 3rd favourite with a sincere, touching song and performance ended up second from the bottom with professionals who are all too ready to jump aboard dated, contrived peace ballads from other countries.

The previous system dealt with diaspora better by allowing determined juries to kill certain songs stone dead. Poland have one of the cheesiest, dated songs in the contest and I imagine that mattered very little to the Poles in all the Western countries voting en masse. The juries did a hatchet job on Poland in 2014, as they did last night. But they couldn't counter the diaspora as much as previously.

I felt that Gabriela's song was far more deserving, and the juries agreed. But to get zero televote points tells the difference between the countries, rather than the songs.

Mii11

The previous system dealt with diaspora better by allowing determined juries to kill certain songs stone dead. Poland have one of the cheesiest, dated songs in the contest and I imagine that mattered very little to the Poles in all the Western countries voting en masse. The juries did a hatchet job on Poland in 2014, as they did last night. But they couldn't counter the diaspora as much as previously.

I felt that Gabriela's song was far more deserving, and the juries agreed. But to get zero televote points tells the difference between the countries, rather than the songs.

So you would have been alright with Montenegro qualifying to the final, is that right?

QwaarJet

ESC Moderator
So you would have been alright with Montenegro qualifying to the final, is that right?

I wouldn't have been happy about it, but I still have more faith in the juries than the televote. I can see why they would award points to Montenegro's song.

tuorem

I like that the Czech delegation selected ballads sung by rock singers two times in a row xheart That's a great combo imo. And they chose beautifully composed ballads, not some random ones, I appreciate that and hope they'll continue to be picky (more great ballads from you please xpray).

By the way, I officially succumbed to I Stand xfaint I'll review the song later.

Ritararita

Reading people's comments on Facebook and other discussion sites - it doesn't look so good, most of the comments are very negative. Before the final it didn't look like this.

Firstly, I desperately try not to read readers´comments bellow Czech articles (not only about Eurovision), because as we both now, they tend to be negative and full of crazy conspiracy theories regardless of the topic. Secondly, look at comments bellow foreign articles about results or (highly disliked) youtube videos. Jamala seems to be the most controversial Eurovision winner in years and even people from countries placing very well (like Poland or France and obviously Russia) are very vocal about their dissatisfaction. If each participating country should react to this by withdrawal, then we would have no contest next year. Let´s wait until everyone cools down.

Dutchball

I like that the Czech delegation selected ballads sung by rock singers two times in a row xheart That's a great combo imo. And they chose beautifully composed ballads, not some random ones, I appreciate that and hope they'll continue to be picky (more great ballads from you please xpray).

By the way, I officially succumbed to I Stand xfaint I'll review the song later.

Any chance "Czech Republic" will replace the ????? in your signature? :D

ParadiseES

It is quite obvious that Bjorkmann killed Czech chances with the corrupted running order. For example, Gabriela got 7 points from the Spanish televote in the final and she was over anyone except Austria, Armenia and Russia, but nothing in the final. This must be because of the running order.

DanielLuis

It is quite obvious that Bjorkmann killed Czech chances with the corrupted running order. For example, Gabriela got 7 points from the Spanish televote in the final and she was over anyone except Austria, Armenia and Russia, but nothing in the final. This must be because of the running order.

Czech Republic only were 9th in the semi. The #2 spot obviously goes to one of the worst placed songs in the semis, not to the contenders for the win.

ParadiseES

Czech Republic only were 9th in the semi. The #2 spot obviously goes to one of the worst placed songs in the semis, not to the contenders for the win.

I will never understand why it's so obvious.

Chorizo

Gabriela deserved a better result and hearing the zero points was awkward but at least Czechia managed to qualify for the first time. We should focus on this success. I'm not so sure now if Slovakia will return next year considering the #2 death slot and the zero points in the televote for Czechia but Czechia will try again next year and hopefully with more success.

It's difficult for a ballad not to get lost from second place in the running order.

DanielLuis

I will never understand why it's so obvious.

Because #2 is the famous death slot, and if a country that finished in the top 3 of the semi is placed there in the final and then flops massively obviously people would complain like there's no tomorrow.

tuorem

Any chance "Czech Republic" will replace the ????? in your signature? :D

Haha :lol: You noticed I have not modified my signature yet :mrgreen:

Actually, since the grand final ended, Gabriela and Jamala have engaged in single combat to convince me. There is a savage confrontation going on :D

Michal and Nina decided to withdraw since they knew they would be part of my top 5. :mrgreen:

There are also lots of people in the audience: Minus One, Poli, Zoë, Agnete, Freddie, Samra and Francesca are eating pop-corn while watching the epic duel. Those won't know their fate before the winner is determined :lol:

In other words, yes, Czech Republic has a fifty-fifty chance of replacing the ????? in my signature soon ;)

Milos-BC

It didn't deserve 0 from the televoting, but overall, it was one of the weakest songs in the final, so there was no hope to escape the bottom there from the beginning. Still, she made a success by qualifying and that should serve as a waypoint for :cz: next year to bring us something awesome and end really well.

RomanFromRussia

Don't forget, performance was really boring. Gabriella is nice, but she didn't work at camera at all. Artist is not only about vocals. Her performance was just boring and it was forgotten by the audience.

Sammy

Veteran
I never really got the hype about this. It's a nice song, it was an average, not very interesting staging, she's a competent, but not outstanding singer. I like to listen to it, but I heard that a zillion times before...
My impression was, that people REALLY wanted the Czech Republic to qualify and I'm happy for them, but regarding the song and the performance, it was not really as good as the hype would have suggested....

Top Bottom