Contact us

CZECH REPUBLIC 2012 - not taking part

Sean

Admin
Staff member
Woo, a Czech member, welcome to the forum :mrgreen:

I've felt sorry for Czech Republic in ESC but if they wanted to do better in it then they have to enter xD They just seem like the outcasts...

AlekS

Veteran
They don't have this opinion only because we failed every year we participated. The fact is that majority of Czech people hated our entries as well (esp. 2008 and 2009). And speaking of Kabát, it was our first year and people didn't know what to expect - even guys from Kabát didn't know, they actually sort of bashed this contest after their return from Helsinki. CT hasn't ever did any big promo for this contest, therefore this show hasn't made big numbers and I personally think that only minorities voted (that would explain why Azerbaijan, Armenia and Ukraine always got 8-12 points from us).
Rybak debuted in almost every European country, he was on the radios everywhere. The same is for Lena (we played "Satellite" until next winter, we played Azeri and British entries as well lol).

Armenia has like the most small diaspora in CR - only 2000 people approx. Azeris - even less. I don't think it's enough to get such high points. UA diaspora is the biggest but we didn't receive 12pts every year (12, 8, 5 :lol: ) ;)
Imo, you're too pessimistic about your viewers. The viewing figures weren't really low so people were interested after all.
Your broadcaster wanted to debut in 2005, then in 2006 (having doubts in the quality of your own supposed-to-be-entries).... but it happened in 2007. I mean if they had doubts since the beginning it didn't promise anything good.
Previous ČT bosses hated ESC, with passion. Let's see what new bosses will show in 2013. Personally I think that Czech Republic will come back :)

GRE said:
How can people think that the constest is cheap,when the entries they select are not good?
Their entries were good for them. Theresa was famous, Kabat are legendary there (they have #1s still in their charts) so they probably think that we suck because their popular singers failed. However ESC needed a better promotion inside of CR and performers had to be prepared properly at least. In any case for their broadcaster (since 2005) it was all about results rather than showing their music, imo.
With the new bosses this situation can change.

Last edited:

nofuxCZ

Rybak debuted in almost every European country, he was on the radios everywhere. The same is for Lena (we played "Satellite" until next winter, we played Azeri and British entries as well lol).
Ok, there are some exceptions but they haven't played many songs from Eurovision here.

Armenia has like the most small diaspora in CR - only 2000 people approx. Azeris - even less. I don't think it's enough to get such high points. UA diaspora is the biggest but we didn't receive 12pts every year (12, 8, 5 :lol: ) ;)
Well, these are maybe official numbers but the real numbers are little higher :) I really think that minorities are the most active when it comes to voting.

Imo, you're too pessimistic about your viewers. The viewing figures weren't really low so people were interested after all.
The viewing figures were below average for ČT, they expected much more. Sad thing is that ČT, instead of admitting that they also did some mistakes, is blaming whole system of the contest. I remember that spokesperson of ČT once said that "This contest is not interesting for our viewers and the viewing figures were declining every year. Criticism from renowned reviewers didn't help us either. If the image of Eurovision doesn't change drastically, we won't be returning."

Previous ČT bosses hated ESC, with passion. Let's see what new bosses will show in 2013. Personally I think that Czech Republic will come back :)
I hope so. The new boss is ex-boss of the most succesful czech commercial TV.... we'll see, i would love to see us returning

Their entries were good for them. Theresa was famous, Kabat are legendary there (they have #1s still in their charts) so they probably think that we suck because their popular singers failed. However ESC needed a better promotion inside of CR and performers had to be prepared properly at least. In any case for their broadcaster (since 2005) it was all about results rather than showing their music, imo.
With the new bosses this situation can change.

Tereza may be famous but she's still not one of the most respected artists here. Her participation was actually big surprise, in news they claimed it's scandal and everybody thought that either the voting was rigged or she won our NF only because of her looks and her ...eh, underwear. I agree that promotion has been really poor and that czech audience maybe doesn't realize that not everything that works here can work in the rest of the Europe too...

Last edited:

AlekS

Veteran
Ok, there are some exceptions but they didn't play many songs from Eurovision here.
See, it depends of particular country and its media. I know that Azeri and German entries were popular in Slovakia. Kristina spent 7 weeks at #1 etc. CR media have to be interested in promoting, of course the broadcaster should start with your own entries. If people are interested in following your own entry they will bring high ratings.

we'll see, i would love to see us returning
same here xcheers

Top Bottom