Stin ankaliá mou, zíse álli mia méra
Stin ankaliá mou, páme mazí pio péra
Sta óneirá mou, valé fterá kai péta
You can be my only one
Na-na-na-na-ni-aman

Ela, ela, ela
Ela, ela, ela​

ArmpitOfEurope

I call the "similar culture and preferences in music" argument as utter bulls*it. What's so "Greek" about Stefania's songs from 2020/2021 (except for the 2021 music video where the gods still have nothing to do with the song itself), or Katerine's from 2019? What's so "Cyprian" about Elena's, Sandro's and Tamta's attempts? Maybe there's some elements I don't see but imo if you'd given any of those six songs to any other nation, no one would be any wiser and those other nations wouldn't receive :gr: or :cy: twelve points under such circumstances. The only recent song for which I see this argument possibly valid is :gr: 2018, otherwise it is just an excuse for a ridiculous and unfair pattern.

There's not much that can be done about these exchanges, but they deserve every single boo they get (except for entries that score extremely well in general, like :cy: 2018).

Its more complicated than this. Tamta, Elena Foureira and Elena Tsagrinou for example are living and having their careers in Greece, how can Greece not vote for them over other artists? Also, many of the greek participants have had roots from Cyprus ( see Maria Elena Kuriakou - why is it ok for Albania to give 24 points to Gjon Tears just because of his roots and its unnecaptable for Cypriots? ) Ok, you would argue that with Greece-Cyprus it happens every year but even when roots are not in the picture, the entry of each country is popular in the other one and vise versa ( when Stefania for example releases Last Dance in Greece, its automatically being released in Cyprus too, we even share the same TV channels! Cyprus is voting in the Greek the voice, in the Greek x factor etc). So when it comes to music and television, Cyprus and Greece are practically 1 country. And then you would say, so unite and participate as 1 country. Some would love this, some wouldnt, and there are things that make it impossible ( Turkey and other political reasons ).
So the exchanges are not going to stop, and although I agree that the greek and cypriot juries should try to tone it down, it wont happen either, coz the times they do ( like in 2015 ) they get death treats.

andreas4301

I call the "similar culture and preferences in music" argument as utter bulls*it. What's so "Greek" about Stefania's songs from 2020/2021 (except for the 2021 music video where the gods still have nothing to do with the song itself), or Katerine's from 2019? What's so "Cyprian" about Elena's, Sandro's and Tamta's attempts? Maybe there's some elements I don't see but imo if you'd given any of those six songs to any other nation, no one would be any wiser and those other nations wouldn't receive :gr: or :cy: twelve points under such circumstances. The only recent song for which I see this argument possibly valid is :gr: 2018, otherwise it is just an excuse for a ridiculous and unfair pattern.

There's not much that can be done about these exchanges, but they deserve every single boo they get (except for entries that score extremely well in general, like :cy: 2018).
giphy.gif

Cypriot* btw

Loindici

Veteran

spinachpie

"According to lifeNewscy, the song was recorded in Athens, and the music video is due to be filmed this weekend. The report also confirms Alex P’s involvement in the composition, which contains both Greek and English lyrics. George Papadopoulos is also credited as a co-writer. It is also reported that the song will contain traditional elements, including bouzouki – a type of lute that’s a staple in Greek Laïko music"

Sounds good to me!

Loindici

Veteran
Remembering what Cyprus used to do, it's interesting they didn't announce the artist earlier. Is it going to be something big?

Plus, I've noticed if they do send Andromachi, it'll be the second time they didn't send a Greek music artist who aren't of Greek/Cypriot descent (since Elena Tsagrinou seems to be a pure Greek/Cypriot).

gingerale

I feel like everyone is longing for that big Cypriot dance banger this year and then Cyprus sends something different this year like an 80s inspired rock ballad.

spinachpie

Remembering what Cyprus used to do, it's interesting they didn't announce the artist earlier. Is it going to be something big?

Plus, I've noticed if they do send Andromachi, it'll be the second time they didn't send a Greek music artist who aren't of Greek/Cypriot descent (since Elena Tsagrinou seems to be a pure Greek/Cypriot).

Andromachi seems to have been born in Germany to 'Greek' parents and moved to Greece at a young age, I think.

What nationality/ethnicity is someone who was born in London to a Dutch/Nigerian mother and Greek/Spanish father, who then moved to and lived in France for 10 years, before settling in Romania?

People migrate and have complex backgrounds. Sorry, not having a dig, but this subject is personal to me and the word 'pure' doesn't have good connotations. Peace.

Loindici

Veteran
Andromachi seems to have been born in Germany to 'Greek' parents and moved to Greece at a young age, I think.

What nationality/ethnicity is someone who was born in London to a Dutch/Nigerian mother and Greek/Spanish father, who then moved to and lived in France for 10 years, before settling in Romania?

People migrate and have complex backgrounds. Sorry, not having a dig, but this subject is personal to me and the word 'pure' doesn't have good connotations. Peace.

I understand, and thank you for giving me a new perspective regarding the topic! Furthermore, is defining the unsaid as 'ethnically Greek' for example would be better?

spinachpie

I understand, and thank you for giving me a new perspective regarding the topic! Furthermore, is defining the unsaid as 'ethnically Greek' for example would be better?

No problem and like I said, it was not my intent to have a dig at you. I can tell you were not coming from a mean-spirited place (y)

I was just uncomfortable with the word 'pure'. Nothing but xrunhug to you!

ArmpitOfEurope

I feel like everyone is longing for that big Cypriot dance banger this year and then Cyprus sends something different this year like an 80s inspired rock ballad.

I heard the song has buzouki in it, so its not a ballad!
I am expecting an greek ethnic uptempo, but polished and with some english lyrics.

Top Bottom