You can be my only one
Na-na-na-na-ni-aman

Ela, ela, ela
Ela, ela, ela​

spinachpie

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Me rushing to the Cypriot thread to hit the 12 button so hard and restart my yearly career of worshipping what queen Cyprus blesses us with:

9eIMH98.gif

I KNEW CYPRUS WOULD COME THROUGH. They've been on such an elite trend for years now that it just slaps so hard, but also angers all the "music isn't fireworks crowd". This entry is just so me, anyone who know me will know that. I'm loving it. I'm so overhyped to be able to award my first 12 of the year. Her music is great and this is amongst them for me, for sure. The local sounds on it just top it off also. It's what we need and what we deserve. :12:

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
I just listened to this in the middle of the mall so I'll have to properly listen to it later... but I expected more? She has better songs than this one.

It's still a good track though. :7: for starters.

HayashiM

Veteran
I have to praise the song for the authentic feeling - being partially in Greek, usage of some of the background instruments, and I would guess this is something truly representing the "usual Cypriot/Greek taste"?
I also appreciate the dreamy aspect, but sadly when everything is put together, it falls a tiny but flat for me on the first replay - hopefully it's a grower :)
:7: points for now.

ArmpitOfEurope

They created a great song for the greek/cypriot radio ( it sounds like the hits here ) but not a song that could do great in a european contest. Juries usually dont love this kind of tracks and it doesnt sound like a huge televote magnet either ( not fast/catchy enough ) to cancel the average jury score it may get.
Its luck will heavily depend on the staging.

Zerocalcare

"Ela" is a hypnotic song, soft as a cloud, which calms the soul. No energy, no climax but you can't help but feel involved and you never get tired of listening on the contrary, you want more. I really appreciated the Arabic sounds that not only simple exotic grafts but make up the whole piece. Extraordinary Andromache who, with an excellent vocal technique with an Arabic flavor, completes "Ela". I like very much.

ArmpitOfEurope

Gonna give Cyprus a :8: coz Im really happy we will hear Greek on the ESC stage again! :love:
Unfortunately I think its weak but maybe Europeans wont find it so ordinary ( as a greek you can hear countless songs like this on the radio ).
I am gonna worry a little about its luck, not gonna lie, they are taking a big risk. This could even be a NQ in a strong semi.
Its the kind of track that gets a weak score from the juries and an average one from the televote.

CPV4931

Exactly, what I expected, but also hoped for :-)

Fluke

At least it's, ummm... "authentically" ethnic pop and not some psuedo-Spanish pap. I don't like it, however.

hpp0

I don't understand why they made it bilingual when she sings the English parts like she sings in Greek. Other than that it is pretty much a typical Greek pop song, it's nothing special but it has nice instrumentation.

I'm glad that they didn't go with female dance pop again (even if they are missing this year but I would rather not see it from Cyprus), but I'm not really sure if their results will improve. I don't think it will NQ, but I see it between 13th - 15th place with a decent staging maybe a bit higher if the performance is good cause there is potential.

ESC94

Ok, just listened to it and sadly I can´t say I´m impressed. :(

For me the whole song sounds like the stereotypical background music you hear in basically EVERY documentary about :gr:or :cy: or in a movie where some part of the plot plays in these countries. It´s not terrible but just heard soo many times before that it´s getting boring very fast. xbored

Sadly her voice already sounds kinda thin in the video, so I can see potential for a car crash live. I also think that if they wanna play it very traditional they should have made the song completely in Greek. xthink

All in all I´m not a big fan of :cy: this year, it´s just too predictable for me. Since I can at least listen to it without feeling disrupted and because of other songs being even weaker for me I still give generous :4:, and I think it will stay like this for the rest of the season. xshrug

Last edited:

Mainshow

Veteran
:10: pts from me - The arrangement is really beautiful - quite ethereal and like @empo21 said, the verses show a glimpse of EDM pop (it´s quite a tiny component but I think it makes the song even more interesting) and I love her chanting (it´s quite hypnotic). It really soaks me in - Unlike previous comments suggest, I think it´s really catchy and instant - of course, it´s not an up-tempo banger but it´s still a bop - After worshipping Britney´s "Glory" back in 2016, I´ve learnt to vibe to mid-tempo tracks as well.

What a great entry! I can see this being part of my Top 10 this year! Well done, Cyprus!

Realest

I miss something. 6 Points.

Top Bottom