I gave it up, I gave it up, because
He tells me I'm his angel, I'm his angel
Oh-oh-oh, el diablo, el diablo, oh-oh
I fell in love, I fell in love
I gave my heart to el diablo, el diablo

El diablo​

Last edited by a moderator:

Citelis

Being well-known in Greece and Cyprus, as Tamta was, won't help in Eurovision. This song here is better than Replay and with proper staging and performance should do better than replay.

Iker

Veteran
Not necessarily though, Cyprus 2019 failed to make a dent in the top 10. Plus Tamta is a more well-known name than Elena.
So I wouldn't rule out that this song may be a classic massive fanwank and fail to qualify.
Maybe I am overrating its potential result-wise indeed. I did like Replay more than this btw.

Sammy

Veteran
I think Replay would have done much better without having Fuego the year before. Not as good as Fuego, but better than it actually did. Since it was so similar, it lacked at bit the wow effect and because people had Fuego in mind, they probably were less inclined to vote twice for the "same" song. Now we had a some time in between, so El Diablo has some chances to do better than Replay, still I don't think it will reach the result of Fuego.

Loindici

Veteran
I think Replay would have done much better without having Fuego the year before. Not as good as Fuego, but better than it actually did. Since it was so similar, it lacked at bit the wow effect and because people had Fuego in mind, they probably were less inclined to vote twice for the "same" song. Now we had a some time in between, so El Diablo has some chances to do better than Replay, still I don't think it will reach the result of Fuego.

However, there's a big problem: I don't find Elena to be as extraordinarily charismatic as Eleni. Fuego's success partly comes from the way Eleni performed the song and the way Eleni has THE look. I find Elena to be a little bit more, if not as charismatic, as Tamta.

Sammy

Veteran
However, there's a big problem: I don't find Elena to be as extraordinarily charismatic as Eleni. Fuego's success partly comes from the way Eleni performed the song and the way Eleni has THE look. I find Elena to be a little bit more, if not as charismatic, as Tamta.
exactly, that's why I don't think this will even come close zu Eleni's success.

crashworld

Veteran

But El Diablo is basically a rip off of Lady Gaga's Bad Romance and is in the same vein of Eleni's and Tamta's songs. I'm pretty sure people are going to dismiss her on the basis that Cyprus only wants to do well by sending female singers doing bangers. I'm not entirely convinced Elena can do that well. I'm pretty sure the most she'll do is Tamta level.

pjelacki

wish CyBC would promote some actually local Cypriot artists with their own songs instead of recycling Fuego for the second time, this time even including the spanish title gimmick

also there is something fundamentally unsettling about the blatant advertisting in the video, gives me straight up Black Mirror vibes.

Sammy

Veteran
But El Diablo is basically a rip off of Lady Gaga's Bad Romance and is in the same vein of Eleni's and Tamta's songs. I'm pretty sure people are going to dismiss her on the basis that Cyprus only wants to do well by sending female singers doing bangers. I'm not entirely convinced Elena can do that well. I'm pretty sure the most she'll do is Tamta level.
I have the same feeling. Perhaps my post came across more positivly than it was meant. I expect ot to be sightly above Tamta (ie perhaps one or two places)

empo21

Veteran

Loindici

Veteran
Last edited:

Mainshow

Veteran
Hilarious and ridiculous that the orthodox church demands to see El Diablo expunged as well.

Are they stupid? They should go outside, get some fresh air and relax. They pretend like that harmless pop song dealing with a (bad) relationship is like a blasphemous song by Behemoth xD

nekoisneko

first time listening the song, I have a mixed feeling about this one.
At one point, I like the chorus part but you can tell that this song is a ripoff of bad romance, or at least inspired by it.
At one point, I am not really fond of the verse.

Loindici

Veteran

"We respect any views of the Holy Synod or those who disagree with the title of the song,
which will represent Cyprus at Eurovision this year.

At the same time, however, the Government fully respects the intellectual and artistic freedom of creation,
which can not be misinterpreted or restricted due to the title of a song and should not be given dimensions that are not needed."

(Government of Cyprus, 2021)​

ESC94

I finally managed to listen to this song. Don´t know why, but for some reason I feel the need to wash my hair. ;)

Beside the unnecessery product placement this song, especially the chorus, remind me a lot of "Bad Romance" by Lady Gaga. It´s better than the boring dance track :cy: wanted to send last year, but still pretty forgettable for me, one minute after the song ended I already forgot the melody.

I give it :3:, it´s not great but at least a bit of an "improvement" over last year, even though that´s not difficult. :sneaky:

Top Bottom