He tells me I'm his angel, I'm his angel
Oh-oh-oh, el diablo, el diablo, oh-oh
I fell in love, I fell in love
I gave my heart to el diablo, el diablo

El diablo​

Last edited by a moderator:

A-lister

Veteran
Still a Gaga demo from 2009, the performance was fine though and it deserved to qualify... so congrats Cyprus xclap

But for me personally it's in more in the bottom (of the top. 10) of the semi than one of the highest positions...

DenizESC

Banned
The performance was amazing.

But again, the song is not good to me. It lacks. Definitely nowhere near top 3 imo.

Trece

Han Hazretleri
Staff member
Still a Gaga demo from 2009, the performance was fine though and it deserved to qualify... so congrats Cyprus xclap

But for me personally it's in more in the bottom (of the top. 10) of the semi than one of the highest positions...
When a demo better then finished product

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
The performance overall was great, kudos to her. Another choreography I will try and fail to learn. xheat

The only thing I properly disliked was the way she sang some verses, because it lowkey sounded like this:

spinachpie

The performance overall was great, kudos to her. Another choreography I will try and fail to learn. xheat

The only thing I properly disliked was the way she sang some verses, because it lowkey sounded like this:

Hahaha. I think she sounded a little breathless at times, which is understandable, but still.

It's really drifted in the odds since the performance. This would be more of an indicator as to general sentiment, as the odds change based on who is betting.

CypriotGirl

Veteran
Last night I wanted to wash my hair with Head & Shoulders after we qualified. Today at work, I was singing El Diablo while placing Head & Shoulders in supermarkets' shelfs. We did it. And I was positively surprised that Cyprus made it and brought this song to ESC despite all the persecution from the church. The church is just so powerful. Maybe it's the beginning of Babylon's fall. (Just kidding, don't take this as a serious statement :LOL:)

Iker

Veteran
How do you think she performed for the juries? Was it better, worse, the same as yesterday live semi? Is it possible that they downvoted for those similarities to Lady Gaga?

It is apparently sinking a little bit in the odds to win so I am curious why as the performance yesterday, staging etc. were very good. I was surprised though how different the verses + prechorus sounded compared to studio version.

Iker

Veteran
Last night I wanted to wash my hair with Head & Shoulders after we qualified. Today at work, I was singing El Diablo while placing Head & Shoulders in supermarkets' shelfs. We did it. And I was positively surprised that Cyprus made it and brought this song to ESC despite all the persecution from the church. The church is just so powerful. Maybe it's the beginning of Babylon's fall. (Just kidding, don't take this as a serious statement :LOL:)
Are Cypriotes very religious people? I am curious.

Iker

Veteran
Oh no, juries love these similarities. Remember "Heroes" which is a total rip-off of "Lovers of the sun".

They also loved the very spectacular staging it had, don't forget.

Only the beat in parts was similar and a little bit in the chorus, hardly close to the most blatant rip-offs that I remember. For me those similarities were exaggerated by people. And the song itself was imho much more better than 'Lovers of the sun'. Speaking of Lady Gaga music ... one of her songs 'Born This Way' was a clear rip-off (not even only inspired) by one of Madonna's early hits. Lol. Pop songs often bear many similarities though to each other, it is not about reinventing the wheel and one does not expect a lot of chord changes throughout as in progressive rock for instance.

CypriotGirl

Veteran
Are Cypriotes very religious people? I am curious.
Although most young people are liberal, you will find very few people who aren't religious at all. Most of them believe in God's existence at least. Most people from 40 years old and above, are very religious. I can't speak from personal experience, though, because I've never been part of Cyprus' official religion (Greek Orthodoxy) but I have another religion and I am personally very religious. Most people I know are OK with "El Diablo", especially younger ages. The extreme reactions were from a minority of people who take things very seriously and aren't liberal at all, and most people made fun of these reactions. The same people would easily be hateful to me just because I belong to different religion, and I faced this a lot at school.

Iker

Veteran
İ fell in love, i fell in love, i give my heart to El...ena 🥰
Elena Tsagrinou is truly beautiful. And she looked smoking hot yesterday! Especially in those parts where she swayed her hips, wow. That dress really worked well then.

CypriotGirl

Veteran
They also loved the very spectacular staging it had, don't forget.

Only the beat in parts was similar and a little bit in the chorus, hardly close to the most blatant rip-offs that I remember. For me those similarities were exaggerated by people. And the song itself was imho much more better than 'Lovers of the sun'. Speaking of Lady Gaga music ... one of her songs 'Born This Way' was a clear rip-off (not even only inspired) by one of Madonna's early hits. Lol. Pop songs often bear many similarities though to each other, it is not about reinventing the wheel and one does not expect a lot of chord changes throughout as in progressive rock for instance.
Most pop songs copy one another, "El Diablo" is neither the first nor the last song that has similarities to another song which was a big hit. But it's only in the chorus. "Heroes" was from beginning to end similar to "Lovers of the sun". If they didn't mind that, I don't think they'd mind "El Diablo" being similar to "Bad Romance". Audience likes to hear melodies that are familiar to it, I think it's an advantage at the same time!

Iker

Veteran
Most pop songs copy one another, "El Diablo" is neither the first nor the last song that has similarities to another song which was a big hit. But it's only in the chorus. "Heroes" was from beginning to end similar to "Lovers of the sun". If they didn't mind that, I don't think they'd mind "El Diablo" being similar to "Bad Romance". Audience likes to hear melodies that are familiar to it, I think it's an advantage at the same time!
I have to relisten to 'Lovers of the sun' now! Lol.

I agree on points that you make. Some familiarity factor definitely can work in your factor. I think Cyprus Q yesterday was fully a deserved one, all in all.

Brandt

The song is really good, and I love it. But the performance is too dark. That was the main problem with Luca's performance back then as well.

The burning EL DIABLO text in the end is so hot, though.

Shadowfuxcs

I ended up giving a vote to Cyprus after the Dutch commentator felt the need to mention it was a copy of lady Gaga, Rita Ora bablabla both before and after their performance. Meanwhile 10 min later the show had a whole section about Mans and his winning song “Lovers on the Sun”.

Top Bottom