13 5.7%

61 26.5%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

PolarFoxxie.

Tony cetinski who participated in Dora few times publicly supported Anti LGBT, Anti vaxxer, right Wing extremists Croatian Football player dejan lovren who plays for Russian football club. I hope we will never again see him at Dora.

Oshawott

And he run over a man with his car and killed him.
He should be walking freely on the streets of Croatia, let alone at the ESC stage.

Back on topic:
Are we ready for yet another 11th place in the semi?

Yazy

If this isn't the most uninvested and uninterested that I have ever felt regarding our future attempts...

PolarFoxxie.

These singers who had participated before in Eurovision are cancelled. Tony cetinski who supported one of the most homophobic, anti vaxxer, pro Russian player who plays for Russian Zenit, Dejan lovren.

Then pamela ramljak who was part of feminnem, Nina badric and luka nizetic (he is the only one who didn't participate in Eurovision, but participated several times in Dora) have congratulated Blanka vlasic, far right religious fanatic who voted no to gay marriage in Croatian rederendum and was one of the most vocal about it. Now she had sex before marriage, got pregnant and is getting married so Eurovision alumnies congratulate her. Fantastic!

PolarFoxxie.

@EscGeek You don't get it??? Blanka vlasic is one of few openly homophobic, hateful Croatian celebrities who is anti LGBT. She and her whole family voted against equality and gay marriage. She was named as homophobe of the year by LGBT Organisation. She is very religious, like very religious. Yet she sinned and had sexual intercourse with atheist before marriage which is big no no in Christianity. I'm talking about hyoocricy here. Do you understand now? Ok, you don't understand. I will continue. Eurovision is a big Gay festival if you have ever heard of Eurovision. Those artists know very well who Blanka is and they still congratulated her even though they are Eurovision Alumnies. I don't want to imply they support homophobia, but this is also about hyoocricy. Congratulating on pregnancy and marriage is perse not a bad thing, but when you get to know who the person is, then it's an issue. Ok, thank god you finally understood. Or have you not??:eek:xfacepalmxshock:oops:

EscGeek

Veteran
Just because someone has a completely wrong different world view, doesn't mean they don't deserve politeness/basic respect.

The hypocrisy from Blanka's side is definitely there though. :lol:

AlekS

Veteran
It's Dora 2023:

The final is set on February.

A-lister

Veteran
Send turbofolk or withdraw permanently

I am not sure what the Croatian counterpart genre is really called, I think turbofolk is more a Serbian and Bosnian thing, but I would love for some uptempo "Dalmatian-Ethno-Dance Pop" a la Jelena Rozga or Severina , but for years now Croatia doesn't really seem to know what could work in their favor. It's a bit sad because they were one of the strongest ESC countries in the 90's and part of the 00's.

randajad

Veteran
I am not sure what the Croatian counterpart genre is really called, I think turbofolk is more a Serbian and Bosnian thing, but I would love for some uptempo "Dalmatian-Ethno-Dance Pop" a la Jelena Rozga or Severina , but for years now Croatia doesn't really seem to know what could work in their favor. It's a bit sad because they were one of the strongest ESC countries in the 90's and part of the 00's.
That's still considered turbo-folk, or as they like to call them "cajke", but HRT just like RTS is pretty much against promotion of the genre.

A-lister

Veteran
That's still considered turbo-folk, or as they like to call them "cajke", but HRT just like RTS is pretty much against promotion of the genre.
I see, I thought turbofolk was more of that Serbian and Bosnian style, which is quite different from the Croatian.

So "Cajke" is a Croatian term? I'll use that one then to distinguish it. Like Chalga in Bulgaria is different as well as Manele in Romania and Modern Laika in Greece. Sure they all have similarities but still.

Yeah you're probably right about that, although RTS kinda opened up the door slightly with Hurricane, obviously not pure Turbo-Folk but the closest we had to it in ESC so far. Also, Croatia did send Severina once (imo the best Croatian entry to date!).

It's a bit sad how stubbornly these broadcasters are against these genres (including the Bulgarian and Greek one), when I truly believe that stuff like this (of course if it's well made) could bring good results in Eurovision, especially with televoters. Plus, they are undoubtedly representative of genres that are local and popular with large portions of locals (except for music snobs who can't let loose).

randajad

Veteran
I see, I thought turbofolk was more of that Serbian and Bosnian style, which is quite different from the Croatian.

So "Cajke" is a Croatian term? I'll use that one then to distinguish it. Like Chalga in Bulgaria is different as well as Manele in Romania and Modern Laika in Greece. Sure they all have similarities but still.

Yeah you're probably right about that, although RTS kinda opened up the door slightly with Hurricane, obviously not pure Turbo-Folk but the closest we had to it in ESC so far. Also, Croatia did send Severina once (imo the best Croatian entry to date!).

It's a bit sad how stubbornly these broadcasters are against these genres (including the Bulgarian and Greek one), when I truly believe that stuff like this (of course if it's well made) could bring good results in Eurovision, especially with televoters. Plus, they are undoubtedly representative of genres that are local and popular with large portions of locals (except for music snobs who can't let loose).
I don't know the origin of the word, it's used in Serbia and Bosnia as well I believe, but I have always got the impression that it's used in Croatia quite often when refering to turbo-folk.

Yeah, Croatian version is usually different and rather Dalmatian-inspired, more "summery" if you will. I'd say there are a few different types of turbo-folk like classic 90s turbo-folk that gave us the genre in the first place, current trap/hip-hop influenced turbo-folk, turbo-folk with mediterranean influences (which was kinda characteristic for Slovenia and Croatia) and of course that chalga/manele/classic we-stole-it-from-turkey sound.

Yeah, RTS does flirt with it, but essentially I doubt they will send a pure turbo-folk. And HRT is even more stubborn. Croats are usually better at pop imo. And of course snobs will be snobs and while I don't personally like the genre it is the truth is that the majority is partying to turbo-folk even if they try to hide it and if done correctly it could be quite a show. :lol:

Severina's entry is iconic, everybody knows it, I wouldn't consider it to be turbo-folk tho. The closest as far as I remember was probably Neda Ukraden at Beovizija few years ago.

Tbh, I don't know what I want from Croatia, Albina was refreshing, but I kinda want more.

Bmbriga

Severina, especially newer songs are completely "cajke", some old songs not.
Rozga, it depends on the song. Even the ones that are "cajke", I would still say are less than Severina.

So "Cajke" is a Croatian term?
Croatians use the term "cajka" for turbofolk, but also for older songs.
We didn't really had that type of music before, it came more from Bosnia/Serbia, from their folk music. Especially in last 2 decades. Cajka here is used for music that has "Eastern" inspired sound (vocal, arrangements). Our folk music was different, because we didn't have such big Turkish influence here.
This is why our songs sound a bit different, they are inspired by cajke (because it's popular at the moment- Severina, Rozga, Magazin none of them was making cajke inspired music before), but not completely the same. Severina is exception, because I think she makes songs also with Serbian and Bosnian market in mind. And some of her songs are imo pure cajka through and through.
Yeah, Croatian version is usually different and rather Dalmatian-inspired, more "summery" if you will.
Severina's entry is iconic, everybody knows it, I wouldn't consider it to be turbo-folk tho.
Tbh, I don't know what I want from Croatia, Albina was refreshing, but I kinda want more.
Yes, I would agree with you. Although, some of that Mediterranean inspired music, like Lorena Bućan, I wouldn't call cajke. It's called "zabavna" here.

Bmbriga

A-lister

Veteran
I don't know the origin of the word, it's used in Serbia and Bosnia as well I believe, but I have always got the impression that it's used in Croatia quite often when refering to turbo-folk.

Yeah, Croatian version is usually different and rather Dalmatian-inspired, more "summery" if you will. I'd say there are a few different types of turbo-folk like classic 90s turbo-folk that gave us the genre in the first place, current trap/hip-hop influenced turbo-folk, turbo-folk with mediterranean influences (which was kinda characteristic for Slovenia and Croatia) and of course that chalga/manele/classic we-stole-it-from-turkey sound.

Yeah, RTS does flirt with it, but essentially I doubt they will send a pure turbo-folk. And HRT is even more stubborn. Croats are usually better at pop imo. And of course snobs will be snobs and while I don't personally like the genre it is the truth is that the majority is partying to turbo-folk even if they try to hide it and if done correctly it could be quite a show. :lol:

Severina's entry is iconic, everybody knows it, I wouldn't consider it to be turbo-folk tho. The closest as far as I remember was probably Neda Ukraden at Beovizija few years ago.

Severina, especially newer songs are completely "cajke", some old songs not.
Rozga, it depends on the song. Even the ones that are "cajke", I would still say are less than Severina.

Croatians use the term "cajka" for turbofolk, but also for older songs.
We didn't really had that type of music before, it came more from Bosnia/Serbia, from their folk music. Especially in last 2 decades. Cajka here is used for music that has "Eastern" inspired sound (vocal, arrangements). Our folk music was different, because we didn't have such big Turkish influence here.
This is why our songs sound a bit different, they are inspired by cajke (because it's popular at the moment- Severina, Rozga, Magazin none of them was making cajke inspired music before), but not completely the same. Severina is exception, because I think she makes songs also with Serbian and Bosnian market in mind. And some of her songs are imo pure cajka through and through.

Yes, I would agree with you. Although, some of that Mediterranean inspired music, like Lorena Bućan, I wouldn't call cajke. It's called "zabavna" here.

Thanks for a bit of explanations.

Yeah, I can definitely hear the more "Mediterranean" sound in Croat music, wheres Serbian and Bosnian are clearly more Turk, or even Arabesque, influenced. Chalga and Manele obviously have more of Romani influences.

Anyways, wish the broadcasters would be a bit more open minded.

Top Bottom