Contact us

Coronavirus - Could ESC 2020 be affected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDC0708

Coronavirus is present in many European countries now, particularly Italy, with the contest due to place in 2.5 months. Could the contest be cancelled, rescheduled or relocated this year? The Netherlands is currently one of the few countries to not yet have a case, it is hard to predict whether it will be sorted by May, or if things will have got worse.

Nemo89

The course of this epidemic makes no sense:

1. The epidemic spread after the US-China tariff war.
2. The Chinese, billions of people, have been able to travel for a long time all over the globe and there are only a few cases of sick people. Hasn't any Chinese arrived in Holland? Italy is seen as an "epidemic zone" only because it is preventing prevention compared to other countries.
3. Any epidemic, the first times is out of control here instead we have managed to do prevention with the closure of airports and we have been able to find a cure when in all these years many diseases (for example, AIDS) are still invincible. Epidemics before being eradicated count seriously ill people of any age and high probability of death.
4. Coronavirus victims so far are only elderly people who have low immune defenses or suffer from other conditions.
5. Children and animals, from what has been said, are not at risk of being infected.
6. The exaggerated deaths are only in China while in the rest of the world the epidemic is curbed and the number of healings increases.
7. In Italy, the north is established as a "risk zone" when southern Italy has been besieged for many years by migrants who flee from countries in war and with scarce health resources. Syria and Iran, where Coronavirus is said to be out of control, are two of these countries. Why was there no Coronavirus explosion in Sicily?
8. The same doctors claimed that Coronavirus could survive on inanimate objects and then change the version.
9. The advice to stem Coronavirus, according to doctors, is to wash your hands, not to put your hands over your eyes and mouth and stay closed at home.
10. The same doctors say not to be frightened and not to diagnose Coronavirus on their own because it could be a simple seasonal flu. How can you understand what influence you are affected by? And if I am sick, how can I recover from such a serious flu without going to the hospital?
11. Hospitals should not be stormed because there is a risk of getting sick ... if I am sick, how can I heal? Also, is there no risk that I will infect those who are not infected?
12. If people are all at home or wearing masks, how is it possible, if this Coronavirus really existed, to get sick? Why be afraid?
13. Influences count thousands and thousands of victims each year. This year is an epidemic, in the other years it is not. Days ago I saw Kubrick's "Clockwork Orange" and there was already talk of doctors talking about flu epidemics. The film is not from the day before yesterday! However, the same epidemics that are publicized enormously every ten years (remember the recent SARS)
14. Numerous panic attacks have arisen over the years: mad cow disease, avian fever, SARS, Coronavirus, palm oil that hurts, swine fever, etc.

My personal opinion is that a bad influence is being used as a pretext to hide other problems, I don't know which ones and I don't care to discover them. Could one of these be an excuse to close borders?

Enjoy the best music and be careful not to get sick of the "Fai rumore" virus! Diodato is dangerous! "It's 0 for me!" This is the best prevention! :lol:

Last edited:

Ianp16

Bloody hell, Nemo89, I think you need to calm down a bit. Flue type diseases pass easily from person to person and are able to adapt. It's as simple as that. They spread quickly.

The only weird thing about this is that it started in China after the trade war, but if the conspiracy that it was a plant from the US government is true then it has certainly backfired.

I also think the media are, like usual sweeping this into a frenzy of anxiety, but at the same time people need to be informed. It's a catch 22 situation.

In answer to the original question. I think by May this situation will have died down. If the disease was knocking 50% of the infected dead then I think the situation would be very very different.

Mainshow

Veteran
I personally think that the faith of Eurovision is uncertain at this point. We simply don't have enough information on the virus and how to stop it from spreading (apart from washing hands, obviously).

:ch: just cancelled all events with more than 1,000+ expected as visitors and :de: just called off Berlin's travel fair ITB (scheduled for March). The situation is intense know because we don't really know if the virus will continue to be spread... I still believe that we need to calm down and relax a bit (in terms of Eurovision) because Eurovision is still 3 months away but the situation right now is indeed worrying (in terms of bigger events).

BorisBubbles

Veteran
the short answer is: Probably not.

COVID19 isn't nearly deadly enough to like, warrant an outrage. Most people who suffer from it heal pretty quickly - those who die are usually those with weaker immune systems or already suffering from respitory diseases such as pneumonia.

The infected-to-death rate is lower than 5%. So no, it's not nearly as dangerous as the media would want to make you believe it is. The real danger of the corona virus is that they have a slow multiplication cycle, especially for viruses. It therefore takes forever for the first symptoms to show up. With proper quarantining (I am LOOKING AT YOU ITALY) you can ensure it won't spread outside of the known cases. With basic health measures (washing hands multiple times a day, using gloves and/or hand sanitisers and eating food that boots the immune system such as certain teas and fruits) you can ensure you won't risk death if you do contract it.

It's fine. No need to panic. At least, not yet.

Nemo89

Bloody hell, Nemo89, I think you need to calm down a bit. Flue type diseases pass easily from person to person and are able to adapt. It's as simple as that. They spread quickly.

The only weird thing about this is that it started in China after the trade war, but if the conspiracy that it was a plant from the US government is true then it has certainly backfired.

I also think the media are, like usual sweeping this into a frenzy of anxiety, but at the same time people need to be informed. It's a catch 22 situation.

In answer to the original question. I think by May this situation will have died down. If the disease was knocking 50% of the infected dead then I think the situation would be very very different.
Ianp, I'm very calm. My life goes on without problems. I don't worry about something that is unfounded for me.

It is normal for flue viruses to be transmitted from person to person. In this case, we are talking about an epidemic with low death rates and high cure rates. Also, I repeat, this flu affects and kills those who are already debilitated (which could happen with any other flu strain). When a doctor advises me to wash my hands (even today we were in the time of cholera), it has the same value for me as when the priests recommended ten "Ave Maria" to cure the bubonic plague ...

From your words, I see that you are a very intelligent person. You too have understood that the accounts do not return. I'm not fond of "conspiracy theories" but all this frenzy hides business, other interests and hidden truths. I don't know ... maybe I say nonsense but I remember that Trump claimed that an agreement had been reached between China and the US and that the Chinese had convinced themselves to buy a total of billions of ... agricultural products! Imaginative theories? Maybe.

The media must be listened to with great caution. They are famous for distorting the truth, for saying what they are told to say and for making money by feeding the frenzy of ill-informed and suggestible people.

Let's see how this story will end. I still remember the great fright of the Ebola virus. The media painted the future in the colors of "28 days later".

Uto

Veteran
If Italy can contain the outbreak they are experiencing things ought to be fine. Italy has a pretty good medical system, not really worried that much, but in hindsight they probably should have been a bit more thorough, ie including Milan in the quarantine. Germany apparently has an unknown 0 running around, but he/she doesn't seem to be causing that much trouble so far. Haven't heard of any other unknown 0's. Worst case scenario is if we try to contain the virus for too long even though it is hopeless. So far, it is not hopeless at all, just bad odds.

ESC94

To be honest I´m not too scared at the moment. The "worst" thing I can imagine to happen is a contest without audience, but no cancellation, the Duch won´t take this opportunity to host the ESC after fourty years away by a virus!!

mauve

Veteran
There was panic in so many cases already ... for now I'll stay calm and don't join in the masshysteria.

ESCConor

I think we will start to see a reduction in cases around April-May time when the weather starts usually to warm up.

Im no health expert but the symptoms are almost identical to a cold ie: sore throat, coughing etc.

The mortality rate is also only 5% so this doesnt seem to be a major risk to life.

I dont see it becoming a major issue at this stage.

EDC0708

Things aren't looking great at the moment, unfortunately :(

The EBU has a travel ban on staff, including Jon Ola Sand, and both Sweden and Israel won't be attending the Heads of Delegation meeting due to coronavirus. The Heads of delegation meeting is still going ahead however.

Ezio

Veteran
Seriously, music is always in triggered in my head in a very funny way. It helps me to cheer up and makes me laugh. Since Coronavirus broke the news, I have "Lost in Corooonnaaaaaaa" in my head. Singing it along.

Himan

AaaaaaaaaaaaH (lol) we're lost in Corona

Ezio

Veteran
We're lost and we found our Corona!

Gitte

Every time there is a new post in this thread I think it's gonna be interesting but it's always just another 'lost in corona'.

hawadharma

I think it might be the best time to do a 'virtual' ESC show for the first time ever

susanhm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom