Contact us

CHINA 2018 - Not taking part

escYOUnited

Administrator
china_640.png

DJNightingale

Re: CHINA 2018

Who has started this thread? :lol:
Does anyone think this is possible? Of course, Australia isn't Europe, too, but it has got at least a lot of common with European culture. For example, one quarter of Australian fish is European. Unlike China... But on the other hand, we can expect everything from EBU...

tuorem

China has got money and a big population (which might mean substantial viewing rates in case of participation), which is all the EBU cares about, so why not? :lol: That would be exotic!

They've been broadcasting the contest live for a few years now, so it seems they aren't uninterested in the concept at least. And if I remember correctly the hosts have mentioned China at some point in the show since 2014 (so they don't look as "irrelevant" to the EBU as Kazakhstan for instance). It's only a matter of time before they invite China as an interval act, and then for a """"one-off"""" participation...

DanielLuis

China has got money and a big population (which might mean substantial viewing rates in case of participation), which is all the EBU cares about, so why not? :lol: That would be exotic!

They've been broadcasting the contest live for a few years now, so it seems they aren't uninterested in the concept at least. And if I remember correctly the hosts have mentioned China at some point in the show since 2014 (so they don't look as "irrelevant" to the EBU as Kazakhstan for instance). It's only a matter of time before they invite China as an interval act, and then for a """"one-off"""" participation...

Well they have already said they are interested in participating in 2015. The EBU shouldn't accept them though, as there is a big difference to Australia - Australia broadcasted the contest non stop for 30 years before they started taking part. China is nowhere near that, and it definitely isn't as popular there as it is in Australia.

tuorem

Well they have already said they are interested in participating in 2015. The EBU shouldn't accept them though, as there is a big difference to Australia - Australia broadcasted the contest non stop for 30 years before they started taking part. China is nowhere near that, and it definitely isn't as popular there as it is in Australia.

I do remember them sending a delegation back in 2015 and I totally get your point, but the thing is the determination of a broadcaster (along with dollars) and the marketable potential of a country might influence the EBU more than the current interest of the population in the contest.

China isn't a "random" country, and - if their broadcaster keeps showing interest - I could picture the EBU not waiting for 30 years of broadcasting before inviting them one way or another.

I'm not pro-expansion, but this happening wouldn't surprise me.

Realest

I dont accept China as part of the Eurovision-Family.

popavapeur

You have rules and rules. You have some rules that allow Australia to participate and with these rules, everybody could participate now. But you have others rules that are not written in the holy book of rules which say that you have to be somewhat European or have at least good arguments to participate alongside Eurovision countries (and money is not a good argument). And believe it or not but the second "rules" thing is far more important than the first one, and it's because of this one that we changed the real rules to make the official "rules".

Btw China is probably going to participate in Eurovision Asia.

tuorem

You have rules and rules. You have some rules that allow Australia to participate and with these rules, everybody could participate now. But you have others rules that are not written in the holy book of rules which say that you have to be somewhat European or have at least good arguments to participate alongside Eurovision countries (and money is not a good argument). And believe it or not but the second "rules" thing is far more important than the first one, and it's because of this one that we changed the real rules to make the official "rules".

Btw China is probably going to participate in Eurovision Asia.

The EBU creates and changes rules for a mere trifle, as we know only too well. Who would have thought Australia would be allowed to take part? They are so untrustworthy anything could happen for the sake of publicity stunt or new markets.

Eurovision Asia is a good thing (I thought it would never come true).

popavapeur

The EBU creates and changes rules for a mere trifle, as we know only too well. Who would have thought Australia would be allowed to take part? They are so untrustworthy anything could happen for the sake of publicity stunt or new markets.

Eurovision Asia is a good thing (I thought it would never come true).

That's my point, Australia should have been seen as something very unusual and special, but still, eurofans are in the mood "they're destroying my beloved contest". I'm not saying they won't do these shenanigans once again but it's selling them short to talk about something that didn't happen yet, cold war style (with something other than :au: ). Australia was REALLY a special case (cultural, show is airing for YEARS and so on).

Gordon_Shumway

I see no valid reason, why a country like China should not be allowed to take part in the ESC if nobody has any problem with Australia participating.
Personally I would prefer that neither of those countries participate, because I like the idea of one song contest that "belongs" to Europeans.
Or make it a "Worldvision Contest" and allow anyone to join.

nofuxCZ

I see no valid reason, why a country like China should not be allowed to take part in the ESC if nobody has any problem with Australia participating.
Personally I would prefer that neither of those countries participate, because I like the idea of one song contest that "belongs" to Europeans.
Or make it a "Worldvision Contest" and allow anyone to join.

I think this is enough of a reason. Ireland censored because of LGBT, Albania because of Eugent having visible tatooes.
If they want to participate in European contest which promotes liberal european values, then first they should be on the same line.

NryKeuI.png

mauve

Veteran
I think this is enough of a reason. Ireland censored because of LGBT, Albania because of Eugent having visible tatooes.
If they want to participate in European contest which promotes liberal european values, then first they should be on the same line.

NryKeuI.png

xshockxshockxshock They could have censored Belarus for terrible singing too ...

A-lister

Veteran
China and no other non-geographical European countries should be brought into the contest, enough with non-European expansion! if people want Worldvision, they can create a new show instead of ruin this one.

End of discussion :lol:

Oh and China's censorship, are people surprised? It's one of the worst dictatorships and police states of the world, this country stands for nothing the Eurovision brand should stand for.

Top Bottom