Contact us

Cheating in Eurovision voting

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member
The reason why Belarus has not been accused of vote rigging is because there is currently no evidence that would show they tried to "buy" votes. Azerbaijan...well that's a different story. The EBU is not responsible or gets involved when it comes to choosing songs so if a country decides to change a song there is nothing the EBU can do....

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
I actually think this is kinda weird too. Getting Italy back was such a prestigious thing and ultimately the best parting gift/starting act of Stockselius/Sand (I forget who was in charge when they came back). I mean they expanded the already-controversial Big 4 into the Big 5 just for them. And then they came second with a fairly chilled song in 2011, then remained within the top 10 despite very tough competition. Methinks Italy is being kept sweet just so that they stay in, although then again, while Eurovision has undergone radical changes since 1997, San Remo has kept going and has evolved in a much more different way to Eurovision. Maybe then the quality of music from San Remo is so good as a result.

I think a lot of people were shocked with the 2011 voting. I was honestly more surprised over Italy, than Azerbaijan, but then i don't think Italy deserved 2nd place at all, let alone a top 10. and Azerbaijan i didn't think would win. I would of thought Sweden, Hungary, Denmark or even UK (bit of bias talk there) would have it in the bag. I think there had to be some alterations to the voting, especially considering how poor some of the favourites did. As you've said, i think Italy have purposely been given top 10 places to keep them in. In the situation of Belarus; i don't believe that they have been vote rigging in the actual ESC shows. Purely because of little they qualify and when they do how poor they do. However there is obviously corruption within the national selection, which i do believe is influenced by the Lukashenko regime.

anto475

I think a lot of people were shocked with the 2011 voting. I was honestly more surprised over Italy, than Azerbaijan, but then i don't think Italy deserved 2nd place at all, let alone a top 10. and Azerbaijan i didn't think would win. I would of thought Sweden, Hungary, Denmark or even UK (bit of bias talk there) would have it in the bag. I think there had to be some alterations to the voting, especially considering how poor some of the favourites did. As you've said, i think Italy have purposely been given top 10 places to keep them in. In the situation of Belarus; i don't believe that they have been vote rigging in the actual ESC shows. Purely because of little they qualify and when they do how poor they do. However there is obviously corruption within the national selection, which i do believe is influenced by the Lukashenko regime.

I think the main reason Belarus hasn't been accused of vote rigging is simply because they don't have the money at a national level to squander on something so petty as the Eurovision as Azerbaijan do.

greece

In my opinion: :az: dont cheat this year...maybe they did it 2011 because this really wasnt the winning song...:mt: and :az: are friends...or just this I want to believe...
But really :lt: video is fake...just some jealous who came 22nd...nothing else

FilipFromSweden

In my opinion: :az: dont cheat this year...maybe they did it 2011 because this really wasnt the winning song...:mt: and :az: are friends...or just this I want to believe...
But really :lt: video is fake...just some jealous who came 22nd...nothing else

The video was released before they ended up in 22nd place

Realest

The lithuanian Video and those 3500 SMS-Votes in Cyprus are enough to prove their Cheatings. Of Course 2013 Azerbaijan didnt cheat all 238 Points, thats impossible. You have to be a Topfavourite in order to get the help of the Neutralvoters, like Farid did. Its rather likely, that Countries like Cyprus, Lithuania, Estonia etc.. gave 4-5 Televotes and the Cheater upgraded them to 12. So in the End Azerbaijan might have cheated about 60-70 Points which means Farid would have been 4th without the Cheating.

RomanFromRussia

I think this video is not a thing we should care about, what is more important in this question is how Azerbaijan and Armenia (juries) estimate songs of each other. Always last since 2014 is not okay imho, and it should be solved by the EBU

Realest

I think this video is not a thing we should care about, what is more important in this question is how Azerbaijan and Armenia (juries) estimate songs of each other. Always last since 2014 is not okay imho, and it should be solved by the EBU

Thats only their problem if they intentionally damage each other and noones else. And no matter if they put each other on 25th Place or 11-24th, in the end it is 0 Points. What is more problematic is the fact that the azeri Jury downvoted Hovig for being born in the "wrong" nationality or the fact that the armenian Jury put Israel 3 Times in a row on the 2nd-last Place for being a political ally with azerbaijan and not recognizing the armenian genozide.

Top Bottom