Contact us

Canada šŸWV 183: Bryan Adams - Here I Am

esc87fan

xCAi0i2.png

Team Canada Info
Current Juror: esc87fan (WV46-WV85, WV93-)
Best Finish: 1st place, WV 146, WV 167
Hostings: WV 61 Toronto, WV 137 Vancouver, WV 147 St. John's, WV 168 Winnipeg

hQl6LCv.png

Last edited:

esc87fan

Re: Canada WV32: Arcade Fire - Keep The Car Running

I can't wait to see what you come up with next

Gabe

Super Moderator
Staff member

It's not a well known song but I heard it and absolutely loved it, so it's definitely going to be my entry :)

Gabe

Super Moderator
Staff member

Definitely a different route to Arcade Fire :)

Gabe

Super Moderator
Staff member

With WV32 closing up and Northeastern USA taking victory, I'm delighted to now announce that Buck 65 will represent Canada at WV33.
buck65-1024x768.jpg

Buck was born in 1972 and raised in Mount Uniacke, Nova Scotia. He's a hip hop artist and also a writer: below is my favourite story by him - when he witnessed two people fall in love, on an aeroplane.​

I watched two people fall in love once. It was on an airplane. It happened right before my eyes.

This happened a few years back. I was flying east across the Atlantic. I canā€™t remember where I started or where I was going. I just know that it was a red-eye and a very long flight. No one sat beside me. I had two seats to myself. I remember being relieved about that. But I also remember an attractive woman in her twenties sitting in the seat directly in front of me and thinking I wouldnā€™t have minded if she sat beside me. Instead, a young and slightly dorky fellow was assigned the seat next to her. ā€œLucky him,ā€ I remember thinking.

As soon as he sat down, they started chatting. He was very enthusiastic. Energetic. Charming, I suppose. But I thought he was trying a little too hard. I figured he didnā€™t have a chance. I also figured that by the time the flight reached cruising altitude, that they would settle into their own little zones with their snacks and movies or that theyā€™d try to sleep. But no.

I canā€™t sleep on planes. Not even red-eyes. So I always prepare for an all-nighter. I was wide awake and had no intention of even trying to sleep. I figured Iā€™d spend the night writing. But what happened in front of me was more interesting than anything else to which I could have given my attention.

I could hear their conversation clearly. They told each other about where they came from (different countries, as I recall), where they went to school, what they studied and about their travel plans. They hit it off really well right away. They talked and talked and talked. After a few hours, they opened up to one another about their personal lives - difficulties theyā€™d survived, hardships theyā€™d endured. Tears were shed. They drew closer.

They found their way out of their tears the way we always do - with laughter. They joked and wiped tears of each otherā€™s faces. And then they kissed. It happened right when it was supposed to. They didnā€™t fight it. They just continued to let it all happen. For the remainder of the flight, they talked less and less and kissed more and more. When they did talk, it was almost unbearable. They fawned over each other. They sang odes.

When the night was at its darkest and quietest - when everyone on the plane was asleep (except for me), their passions began to boil over. They became desperate. They conspired on ways they could consummate their new hearts high over the Atlantic. They settled for a careful arrangement of blankets and reckless fumbling. The sparks were blue and smelled like mercury. They spoke in sharp exhales. They explored each otherā€™s clothes. I saw a boob.

The story took another tragic turn as the sky began to turn orange and our approach neared. The flight would land and they would fade into different countries. The world would swallow them. How would they find each other? When? Again, they cried into each otherā€™s mouths.

The serving of breakfast was a sobering cruelty. The lights were up and their faces were red and worried.

ā€œI canā€™t do it. Iā€™m not going,ā€ he said.

He broke his plans. He decided right then and there to turn his life upside down. His itinerary went into the fire.

ā€œIā€™m coming with you.ā€

Iā€™ll never forget the look on her face. I try to remember it when bad news eats away at the world or when the team Iā€™m rooting for loses. It was one of the most beautiful things Iā€™ve ever seen.

They went from perfect strangers to runaway lovers in the span of six or seven hours. The last I saw of them, they were navigating baggage claim with an arm around each otherā€™s hips.

What became of them? I wonder from time to time. Could something that wild, that reckless have worked? It seems unlikely, but I hope it did. I want to believe. Letā€™s decide that they made it. Letā€™s decide that theyā€™re married now, living in Prague in a two hundred year-old apartment, with a baby on the way. Letā€™s decide that the fire they built made a mess of their old lives, but that they cleaned it all up in time and that they still kiss like they did on the plane. How about we end it like this:

And they lived happily ever after.

The end.

Gabe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re: Canada WV33: Buck 65

I thought this song was perfect, I love it so much. Gutted that evidently most people hated it based on how it did in the semi :/ Ah well. Come back stronger next time I guess

Gabe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re: Canada WV33: Buck 65

WV34 entry sent! I'm a really big fan of this one xheart

Gabe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re: Canada WV34: Y**** E******

Canada #10 in SF1! Don't forget to vote for Young Empires with Rain of Gold xheart

Gabe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re: Canada WV34: Young Empires - Rain of Gold

WV35 entry decided!

Gabe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re: Canada WV35: LIINKS - The Break

Another awful display and we miss out by a country mile. Thanks to everyone who voted for Canada though!

Gabe

Super Moderator
Staff member

So WV35 was my final WV as Canada, I believe. I'm going to North-West England now. I'm sad to be leaving after 4 editions here but good luck to [MENTION=11728]Alex1211ander[/MENTION] who will be taking Canada from WV37! Thanks everyone who voted for me over these 4 editions xheart

Gabe

Super Moderator
Staff member

So now I must correct my leaving post :lol:

So WV35 was my final WV as Canada, I believe. I'm going to North-West England now. I'm sad to be leaving after 4 editions here but good luck to [MENTION=10726]FilipFromSweden[/MENTION] who will be taking Canada from WV38! Thanks everyone who voted for me over these 4 editions xheart

Hope you do an awesome job, Filip. xheya xheart

FilipFromSweden

Re: Canada: Good luck FilipFromSweden!

This is my green room now :twisted:tw:isted:tw:isted:
[MENTION=10351]Trece[/MENTION], be a dear and fix it for me? xrose
Thank you [MENTION=13476]Gabe[/MENTION]

Gabe

Super Moderator
Staff member

xheart [MENTION=10726]FilipFromSweden[/MENTION]

Trece

Han Hazretleri
Staff member

Good luck FilipFromCanada! xcheer

:lol:

esc87fan

Canada: Coming Home in WV46!

hQl6LCv.png

A new Canada arrives in WV46!
[MENTION=10351]Trece[/MENTION], could you fix the thread so I can start editing it?

esc87fan

Re: CANADA: A new vision starts in WV46!

A note from esc87fan:

After 30 editions and traveling the world as the Swiss juror... I have decided to come home to "my home and native land"!

What you can expect from me:
My mission is to share the Canada I know and love with all of you. Most of our best-loved classics come from the 20th century, which is where the extent of my knowledge comes from - especially the 70s, 80s and 90s. I hope to take you all across the country and across different genres.

What about songs from the 21st century?
I have a few songs I like from the first part of this century, which I hope you will like too

And Celine?
Maybe, you never know!​

Gabe

Super Moderator
Staff member

You kept the Canada Polandball! xheya xheart

esc87fan

First 2 hints for Canada's WV46 entry...

1. It's a 1-word title
2. The title is a city in :susa:

esc87fan

Re: CANADA - WV46 SF1 #08 Amanda Marshall: Birmingham

WV46 REYKJAVIK :ca::is:

Amanda Marshall - Birmingham

Amanda is from Toronto. This song, taken off her 1995 self-titled debut album, tells the story of a girl escaping an abusive relationship with her husband. It remains her biggest hit in Canada and her only single to chart on the Billboard Hot 100 in the US.

Lyrics
Virgil Spencer's got a 19 inch Hitachi
And many demons lingering
Friday night, he pulled a gun to change the channel
Something that he picked up from the King
His wife remembers well the man she knew
Seems the dreams she had have all turned black and blue
She's wasted years
No time for tears

'Cause there's another chance
A someday soon
Shining like the Alabama moon