And getting up is all you've got​

Last edited by a moderator:

Sean

Admin
Staff member

Mimmon

Veteran

EscUKFan

So with today’s news of the EBU stating that this years songs can be re-entered for 2021 the official Bulgarian Twitter account has stated they‘ll be making an announcement tomorrow. I can see them withdrawing already..

DanielLuis

So with today’s news of the EBU stating that this years songs can be re-entered for 2021 the official Bulgarian Twitter account has stated they‘ll be making an announcement tomorrow. I can see them withdrawing already..

That would be completely silly IMO.
All that talk of "we just want to be able to participate and to share Victoria's music with the world, we don't care about winning" back when they announced her just sounds like even more bull**** than before

EscUKFan

That would be completely silly IMO.
All that talk of "we just want to be able to participate and to share Victoria's music with the world, we don't care about winning" back when they announced her just sounds like even more bull**** than before

Yeah, although I suppose you can somewhat understand their frustrations considering they were the favourite, not that the odds are ever a good indication of the results:rolleyes:

DanielLuis

Yeah, although I suppose you can somewhat understand their frustrations considering they were the favourite, not that the odds are ever a good indication of the results:rolleyes:

Absolutely, I would be frustrated too if I was in the same position as them. But they have to understand that this is a completely unexpected situation, and the truth is that by 2021 everyone would be well tired and over the songs. They should instead focus in giving Victoria a new masterpiece because the girl herself has already shown that she is winner material, instead of withdrawing in a fit.

LontraCanadensis

Y'all are aware that Bulgaria's participation is contingent on whether they have a sponsorship, right? Their current sponsor is pulling out, but they might've had enough resources to continue if they could use the same song. But, otherwise they have no money to participate. It isn't throwing a hissy fit about losing their "winning song" if they withdraw

A-lister

Veteran
I must be one of few who didn't think "Tears Getting Sober" was all that? Winner material really!? I mean it was an alright entry, but imho it was the weakest Bulgarian entry since their 2016 comeback. I understand when broadcasters want to follow current trends in music, but when an act just wants to sound specifically like an already existing one (= Billie Eilish) it's not just trend-chasing, it's identity-chasing, and I actually really like Billie Eilish's sound so I don't mind the sound, it's just very copycat.

Contrary to popular belief, I think Victoria can do better than this, and maybe during the year find her own "identity" as well, so while she and her team might feel bitter now considering the odds and polls, I think something good can come out from this is they play their cards right.

HayashiM

Veteran
I must be one of few who didn't think "Tears Getting Sober" was all that? Winner material really!? I mean it was an alright entry, but imho it was the weakest Bulgarian entry since their 2016 comeback. I understand when broadcasters want to follow current trends in music, but when an act just wants to sound specifically like an already existing one (= Billie Eilish) it's not just trend-chasing, it's identity-chasing, and I actually really like Billie Eilish's sound so I don't mind the sound, it's just very copycat.

Contrary to popular belief, I think Victoria can do better than this, and maybe during the year find her own "identity" as well, so while she and her team might feel bitter now considering the odds and polls, I think something good can come out from this is they play their cards right.

I think you will find plenty of people here who can't stand Tears Getting Sober, let alone call it an ok song.

I am of the opposite opinion, it is utterly brilliant and it not being allowed to compete is one of this years greatest robberies. I might see things differently had I ever heard a single song from Billie Eilish, but I don't really think so. I find it questionable to which extent someone resembles to others intentionally, and to which extent people find these similarities just because someone else with similar features is currently more popular. Take Barbora Mochowa - I think those of us who have checked her other non ESC songs can agree that here style has actually not that much to do with Lana Del Rey, she had just been gifted with a similar sounding voice. So what? People will sound similar, after all, there are billions of them on the planet.

Tears Getting Sober probably annoys those whose dislike ballads, and others too, I get it. In my ears, it is once again something quite artificial, just as the Beautiful Mess and Bones were - but this time, this artificial feeling corresponds to the theme of the song, at least in the way as I understand it. Technically speaking, Victoria = pure perfection, just as in KK and Equinox's case, there's just no fault to be found. But I feel Victoria's song a lot more.

So, to me, TGS is on the contrary the best :bg: entry since the 2016 return, an easy top 10 and certainly a contender. We will never know of course :)

A-lister

Veteran
I think you will find plenty of people here who can't stand Tears Getting Sober, let alone call it an ok song.

I am of the opposite opinion, it is utterly brilliant and it not being allowed to compete is one of this years greatest robberies. I might see things differently had I ever heard a single song from Billie Eilish, but I don't really think so. I find it questionable to which extent someone resembles to others intentionally, and to which extent people find these similarities just because someone else with similar features is currently more popular. Take Barbora Mochowa - I think those of us who have checked her other non ESC songs can agree that here style has actually not that much to do with Lana Del Rey, she had just been gifted with a similar sounding voice. So what? People will sound similar, after all, there are billions of them on the planet.

Tears Getting Sober probably annoys those whose dislike ballads, and others too, I get it. In my ears, it is once again something quite artificial, just as the Beautiful Mess and Bones were - but this time, this artificial feeling corresponds to the theme of the song, at least in the way as I understand it. Technically speaking, Victoria = pure perfection, just as in KK and Equinox's case, there's just no fault to be found. But I feel Victoria's song a lot more.

So, to me, TGS is on the contrary the best :bg: entry since the 2016 return, an easy top 10 and certainly a contender. We will never know of course :)

Oh, don't get me wrong, I find the song quite fine, I just don't find it THE best of the year...

Well, I do think this one intentionally tries to copy Billie Eilish though, it's obvious Victoria likes her, and that's fine, the problem is what I tried to point out earlier that it's one thing to try to stay on trend, it's another when you so obviously try to sound like a specific act. It doesn't mean that the song is bad per se, I just think that in this year they can carve a more identity for Victoria, I think it could be good for her even.

Realest

hawadharma

The Search for a new Entry begins, although its obvious that Milanov will (rightfully) win.

I am almost sure that Victoria will come up with a much better song than this year's entry.
She has a prospect, a good songwriting team, and a vision.

Citelis

It's not easy to come up with a much better song because ''Tears getting sober'' was already a masterpiece!

Realest

It's not easy to come up with a much better song because ''Tears getting sober'' was already a masterpiece!

We talk about Milanov. Nothing is impossible for this Guy.

hawadharma

Basically TGS kinda ticks almost all of the boxes - emotions, lyrics, melody, vocals, mass appeal, music video.
Anyway I do believe there are rooms for improvement, even for a masterpiece :D

For 2021, I hope Milanov/Victoria will be inspired by some of the bops below:

Last Dance - Rhys
Mother - Ina Wroldsen
Tell Me Who - Vanotek feat Eneli
Doppelleben - Elif

Bonus:
Billie Eilish - Bellyache

Last edited:

hawadharma

TGS reminds me of one of Malaysia best song in 2017.
This song is so sad, a lullaby from a mother to her child.

It just have the same haunting aura that makes you wanna cry.

Top Bottom