Growing up is getting old
Getting up is growing old

If your world is breaking
And growing up is getting old
Know that you're worth saving
And getting up is all you've got​

Last edited by a moderator:

Charly

I will stand by as this being our possible winner It will grow just wait for live performance on ESC stage i would think it will be magic.

Even the songs last night showed their full potential even the 1s we disliked most was still high quality especially live and enjoyable. I would expect no less towards this 1 and with BNT full on approach with a winning atitude, this can do it.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
Usually I have a bit of a "we can't have nice things" bias about my faves, but I really do think this is in it to win it. I think the very simple sincerity of the song could translate stupendously well & push this over the top.

Loindici

Veteran
A lullaby?

I'm putting the fan hype aside. I'm aware of the high expectation people put on Bulgaria since they 'refined' and 'washed' their image as a frontrunner. Of course, this year is the same situation as well.

This is a song that gradually builds up like a story arc: a slow introduction - complication - the complication rises up - climax - ending, hence it adds to its value as an entry. There's a simplicity and warmth to its arrangement that compliments Vicky's voice, especially that the song encompasses a better image of Vicky's vocal capability. The song also has a distinctive topic to it that adds the 'message' value usually searched for by the juries. It might be one of our biggest songs after the show, there's a possibility this will break boundaries and sell internationally.

I can finally get why there's a hype over here. This might be universally one of the best package presented as an entry. It's neat, tidy, warm, and also appropriate for time of uncertain futures like what we have currently. If Vicky delivers well on the semifinal night, it might leave a strong impression and went to top 10 at the final.

There's some weak points to address, nevertheless. Even if I feel I'm an immature person myself not ready for the adult world, I'm having a hard time connecting emotionally to the song. I feel for most people the emotional weight of the message could come across naturally. Instead, my own bias felt there was some amount of insincerity, as if it's intentionally formulated to be an emotional song resonating to all age groups, and dare to say, with a stomach-upsetting amount of sugar coating it, which I can't stand and becomes the biggest letdown for me. And it might be only me and a few people that might find it dragging us to sleep. If the video is out of the picture, this does sound like something I'd cradle a baby with.

If the AVROTROS organizers are nice enough, this should be the last song on the semifinal. It's an appropriate position for it to really end the show and give its maximum impact. However, Marvin Dietmann might be 🇧🇬's Achilles' heel, even though I won't doubt his skills since he's a stage director for a whole Eurovision several times. I hope he would put similar attention to all the five entries he'll be working with this year.

So sorry, Vicky, this might be a :6: and you'll have to sit nicely with Jeangu over there. It might be a :7: later, but not yet, I'm not feeling it.

Anthony Tesla

I'm... delighted with this. I didn't expect to like this one so much.

It's so sweet and melancholic, very mature, I just love the lyrics and the very clever turns of phrases. The music is pretty solid, the singing it's amazing, it's one of those songs so perfectly put together it's almost boring to write about it because I'd be "good-good-good" all day long.

Don't count Bulgaria out yet: it's here and it's a serious contender.

12 points.

debemaks

I didn't expect so many positive feedback.... it is the weakest out of 6 songs....
OK, she can even sing the telephone book and it is an hit.... but it is not Imaginary Friend or Ugly Cry.... this will be between 25th to 30th in my personal to 40.
I'm disappointed!
IMHO a contender less for the victory.

VikingTiger

So... Victoria chose to go with Growing Up... I am a big fan of her clear voice and dreamy way of singing. All her songs has a mood - although I must admit it's more or less the same mood for all of them. But as I'm really into this, Victoria wouldnt move to the right side of my scoreboard no matter what song she would choose.
But I must say I am disappointed. Even though for me she had no bad songs, this was my number 5. I'm daily listening to Phantom Pain and Ugly Cry, but I had already realised those would probably not be chosen. So how do I rate this? I wont let my diappointment get in the way... and giving it 8.
This is a grower definitely (it has already grown up to that 8 for me), so not sure if this would be the best choice thinking of the result in Rotterdam.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
You really think that Victoria is the first one to do this type of song? Have several seats, it's been done for years. You may disagree with me but you can't say that this song is original. In fact I'd argue incredibly few songs in Eurovision are ever original
Originality is hardly Eurovision's strong suit, as it's often years behind in trends. Remember 2013 and its eight dubsteb songs? Dubstep became popular when I was still in high school.

GUIGO follows contemporary trends, at least.

My main gripe with GUIGO is that it's not very catchy despite being very pretty. It needs a tasteful visual component. It qualifies, without a shadow of a doubt, but the question is how much the intrinsic quality will stand out in the semi and finale shows?

JSSArcos

imaginary friend :cry:

So I understand the choice performing something that makes the artist feel comfortable is better than make them sing something just

but Growing Up is Getting Old is going up in me a lot. The atmosphere around the music and the growth the song is incredible. I feel this is better than Tears Getting Sober. take my :12: , you deserve it !!!

marty

Much weaker than last years entry but still it's a good song. I give 5 points.

LakZaNokte

Nice song, good production etc but I didn’t really connect to it personally.

Still, this could be a great result, it still is way better than most crap this year.

8 pts

Stashio833

I have listened to this revamped version like ten times already. I fall in love with it more each time. To those of you who want the other songs, maybe she'll do a medley of them in Sofia 2022. 🤣

hunty73

They made the right choice,there is no doubt about it for me.This is an incredible song performed by a hugely talented artist.Its probably going to win ESC,or go very very close.The production is a triumph.The ticking clock opening as the strings pluck away sets the scene.Time really does knick away at you,and the production really does highlight this vulnerable young person.
You connect with her,you want her to reach the sunlit uplands.
After the bridge it holds you perfectly until that explosion of emotion before the last chorus that will create an epic moment on stage.
This is all about telling a story and the key to if they can win ESC or not is if they can get the staging right.

Top Bottom