Growing up is getting old
Getting up is growing old

If your world is breaking
And growing up is getting old
Know that you're worth saving
And getting up is all you've got​

Last edited by a moderator:

Citelis

Imaginary Friend is a masterpiece with huge potential and imo the only one that is as amazing as TGS was. If they do the right i could get my favorite entry of the year from Bulgaria!

A-lister

Veteran
Chalga version of Tears Getting Sober at 5:55 of this video.

I prefer chalga Victoria over wannabe Billie Eilish Victoria :lol:... I know this is more for fun, but I can see that it could potentially be interesting to blend the two styles together.

aef

In general I'm not a huge fan of Victoria's way of singing and her songs but somehow Imaginary Friends grew a lot on me! Wouldn't mind seeing this at Eurovision...

MAD20

I'm addicted to this EP I must confess. Maybe it's just because she makes the kind of music I fancy the most but wow even lyrically songs are very deep and well produced. Expecting her to choose either Imaginary Friend or Growing up is Getting Old, both are masterpieces and with a right staging can be amazing on stage. I'm sure Bulgaria will be back to at least top 10 if not top 5. xcheer

Mainshow

Veteran
^^ I agree with you! - I'm addicted to her EP as well and after listening to it for like 3,4 times, I think that "Growin Up Is Getting Old" is simply beautiful. I didn't adore it when it was released but it's a masterpiece. Still, I think that "Imaginary Friend" would be the best option for Eurovision since it can attract televoters and jury members alike. It's just magical, compelling and mesmerising. I love her voice!

I bims

Veteran
^^ I agree with you! - I'm addicted to her EP as well and after listening to it for like 3,4 times, I think that "Growin Up Is Getting Old" is simply beautiful. I didn't adore it when it was released but it's a masterpiece. Still, I think that "Imaginary Friend" would be the best option for Eurovision since it can attract televoters and jury members alike. It's just magical, compelling and mesmerising. I love her voice!
Same same same!
When "Growing Ip is Getting Old" came out it was my least favourite. But I don't know why, it suddenly just got to me, made me really emotional and now I'm obsessed with this song. It's my personal favourite but I also agree that "Imaginary Friend" would probably be the most "competitive".

But it seems a looot of people want "Ugly Cry"? I don't get it though, it gives me nothing. Don't know what that song wants me to feel.

DanielLuis

I already favoured "Growing up is getting old" after the first listen, but my preference for it has only grown since the EP was released.
Me and my quarter-life crisis are just connecting to those lyrics way too damn hard :lol:
Also, it definitely is the song with the strongest instrumental and melody in my opinion, and the one that has more of a potential for a wow staging moment with that last chorus.
I don't think "Imaginary friend" has that moment, though it's also amazing and the one that gets closer to that alongside "Dive into uknown". So I really disagree with the whole sentiment that growing up is not competitive.
Either way, whatever she ends up choosing, it's gonna get my support in may.

I bims

Veteran
Me and my quarter-life crisis are just connecting to those lyrics way too damn hard :lol:
BIG Mood :'D

I mean I will be the last person to be sad if Growing up is getting old is chosen :'D
When I think of it, the lyrics have the biggest potential to reach the most people.
And you are right it has all these moments that can be translated into nice moments on stage. I hope they keep the end of it though. They would have to cut something because it's over 3 minutes :/

nunaney

Growing up is getting old has become my favorite too. It was originally my #4. Meanwhile, Imaginary Friend has dropped to 4th but I like all the songs. I've been listening to the EP over and over today.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
Victoria sent out a really nice (form) thank-you note to the people who left her comments! Super lovely.

Loindici

Veteran
  • Like It
Reactions: Mrm

Mainshow

Veteran
I can't stop listening to Victoria's EP. I think that "Imaginary Friend" would be my instant #1 this year (this would bring :bg: on top of my ranking for the very first time ever).

I also think it would perform very well in Eurovision. It has the power to blow away the televoting and the juries alike.

After listening to the EP all day long, I think I would rank the songs like this now:

#1 Imaginary Friend :12:
#2 Phantom Pain :12:
#3 Ugly Cry :12:
#4 Growing Up Is Getting Old :12:
#5 The Funeral Song :10:
#6 Dive Into Unknown :8:

tuorem

Honestly, this is one of those instances where I don't miss last year's entry. While I found some qualities in "Tears Getting Sober", it was too "soundtrack of Eilish's trip to Disneyland" to my liking. I have listened to the current options available and I must say that - except for one song - this is very solid imo. Victoria did not come to joke around.

I sent her my musings tonight, here they are:

My first place goes to two songs: "Imaginary Friend" and "Phantom Pain", my favourites for different reasons.

"Imaginary Friend" is the only option that has a clear development and climax, the Eilish inspiration is there without being too overpowering, there has been work on vocal arrangements (Victoria uses her voice in a more powerful way and the choir-like parts add a little dramatic - pun intended - note to the music) and last but not least, the supreme "humming + imaginary friend line" combo really makes the composition reach higher heights while adding to the dreamlikeness of the atmosphere. Lyrically, I noticed they try to broaden the subject to make it more relatable, but I think dealing with actual imaginary friends is actually very unique and less niche than one would think. It fits the whimsical theme perfectly.

"Phantom Pain" is dark and ghostly. The ongoing bass is such a mood, there are a lot of pleasant subtleties throughout this track. It's hypnotizing without sounding boring or repetitive. And sonically-speaking, it's never been done before at Eurovision, which is always noteworthy imo. It's a very cinematic piece and I could envision Victoria embody a ghost looking at her non-reflection in a giant mirror... It may be a tad less accessible than Imaginary Friend, so if Bulgaria does not want to take any risk, they'll probably ditch this one quite easily. But hey a bit of risk is a good thing in my book, so... I don't know if it's getting much love online, but this is amazing to me. I like the lyrics that can easily apply to more casual situations, there is more than one way of looking at them.

"Dive Into Unknown" has an unusual melodic progression going on in the chorus, which I really like. The piano accompaniment combined with the backing voices set an ethereal atmosphere, which is what Victoria excels at. The arrangements are tasteful and the development make it a competent song. The only drawback is that it competes against "Imaginary Friend" which, in a similar style, gives a bit more "troughs and valleys" on first listen. Hence my assumption that it's underrated. But this is a really a sophisticated song! Lyrically, this has a dreamlike metaphoric quality while being perfectly applicable to everyone of us. Living life is diving into unknown, and that is an interesting topic to deal with.

"The Funeral Song": I reflected a lot on whether I liked this song or not, and I came to the conclusion I personally do not connect to it as much as the other songs. This is a quality composition with attitude and rhythm, I note the contrast between the darkness of the lyrics and the seemingly "joyful" melody. The beats are very efficient, the bells of the chorus are divine and I like the ending part that slows down. Lyrically, I appreciate the spot-on reflection about life and how we perceive it sometimes. I guess I expected Victoria to go all out draamaa-wise given the title, but she didn't and I guess that's just as well. I would not be mad if they did NOT send it to Eurovision though.

"Ugly Cry" is a competent song with a distinctive pace, but I feel like the other options are stronger due to the intensity of their atmosphere and their construction. I think it loses steam halfway through and it's not as arresting melodically and arrangement-wise. I would not pick this song for Eurovision. Lyrically, it conveys a respectable message. But I believe "Imaginary Friend", "Phantom Pain" and "Diving Into Unknown" are more unique in this regard.

"Growing Up Is Getting Old" is the only song I really don't like. Not because it's bad, but because it does not seem to have much appeal or personality compared to the rest. It's like a less memorable version of "When We're Old" to me. It is perfectly acceptable as part of the EP, but it lacks impact to leave an impression after one listening. Why choose this if there are other options? Lyrically, I do not have anything to say other than it is well-crafted. Honestly, I feel like the lyrical standards are quite high here given what we have at the contest usually.

So, my ranking is as follows:
1. Imaginary Friend & Phantom Pain
3. Diving Into Unknown
4. The Funeral Song
5. Ugly Cry
6. Growing Up Is Getting Old

If Bulgaria picks one of the songs in my top 3, they get 12 points from me. It's that good. Diving Into Unknown is a real gem too, but I assume it suffers from directly competing against Imaginary Friend, that is more instant for most people. Phantom Pain is my jam but I've read here and there people are not feeling it. Shame, although I'm not sure how it would fare really.

I would rather avoid The Funeral Song, although it would not be a disaster. Ugly Cry would be an ill-advised choice and Growing Up Is Getting Old has to be avoided at all costs because I would not give more than 2 or 3 points.

In the end I would be surprised if Imaginary Friend lost, there seem to be a consensus on that song, and it seems like the fans of "Tears Getting Sober" are more drawn towards it because it's got that dreamlike feel. :) Victoria worked hard on this. I wonder if Roxen is jelly :LOL: because she won''t be able to steal any of that material.

I bims

Veteran
@tuorem
That was a nice read!
I agree a lot with you! Just kinda sad that you don't like Growing up is getting old :cry: but if it doesn't click - it doesn't click :'D

I think Phantom Pain is the one song they need to absolutely avoid. It's way to close to Billie Eilish it's not even funny. The video looks like a straight up rip-off. She is already getting these comparisons and this would seal the deal.
Everything else has more of Victoria's own identity so it would be a shame.

tuorem

@tuorem
That was a nice read!
I agree a lot with you! Just kinda sad that you don't like Growing up is getting old :cry: but if it doesn't click - it doesn't click :'D

I think Phantom Pain is the one song they need to absolutely avoid. It's way to close to Billie Eilish it's not even funny. The video looks like a straight up rip-off. She is already getting these comparisons and this would seal the deal.
Everything else has more of Victoria's own identity so it would be a shame.
Aw, thank you for reading! :giggle:

You know, I did not follow this thread, so once I posted the message I checked the previous page and found out several people - including you - said Growing Up Is Getting Old was the standout :LOL: And I oop. Sorry about that, I was just speaking on my behalf of course! ;)

Ah, I see. I don't know much about Eilish, so I haven't heard or seen what Phantom Pain is the knock-off of. Then so be it! I don't think it had high chances of getting picked to begin with. You are right, comparisons with Eilish will be inevitable regardless of the song, but it would be wiser not to send a straight-up copy. :)

Top Bottom