Contact us

British Columbia

RevNet

This is a reminder that you have just under six days left to send me your votes and/or suggestions via PM. So far, I have received votes from only one juror. Also, please don't just wait until the deadline to send them, either.

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
This is a reminder that you have just under six days left to send me your votes and/or suggestions via PM. So far, I have received votes from only one juror. Also, please don't just wait until the deadline to send them, either.
Having played WV for 6½ years, I feel like I know a little about the ins and outs of this game, so here's some advice on how to attract more voters:

Advertise your NF! Most people don't check the green room threads at all, so most people don't even know you've got an NF going on. Add to your thread title that there's an NF, maybe even add the voting DDL to the thread title as well. Also, advertise your NF in the WV chat box thread, with a link to the NF post. Another thing you can also do is @mention people who might be interested: meaning those who often seem to like your entries, or those you think might enjoy these particular songs. And I'd strongly suggest using @mentions over sending PMs when fishing for potential voters, as the latter can be seen as putting people in an awkward spot.

Another thing I would suggest is to tone down the expectation you have to get the votes well before the DDL. When people see a DDL, most are going to want to be rest assured that they have all the time in the world until that deadline to vote whenever they see fit/have the time, even if it's the very last minute. With you being so adamant that people not wait until the last day to vote, some potential voters who might need all the time until the deadline to vote, might wonder whether you'll even wait for their votes, and will thus feel discouraged to give your NF a go. Also the idea that voters should suggest songs if they don't like the ones you've got might discourage potential voters as well (because it's essentially sending the signal that the time they will take out of their day to listen to these songs and cast their votes will be for nothing, if there's a risk you could go with a song somebody suggested instead).

This is just me trying to help you out a bit, so I hope you don't take it the wrong way. :)

RevNet

Re: British Columbia NF / DDL: 10/02 @ 5pm CST

WARNING: This post might contain a bit of ignorance, due to the fact that I am from Alabama and that I am on the autism spectrum.

Having played WV for 6½ years, I feel like I know a little about the ins and outs of this game, so here's some advice on how to attract more voters:

Advertise your NF! Most people don't check the green room threads at all, so most people don't even know you've got an NF going on. Add to your thread title that there's an NF, maybe even add the voting DDL to the thread title as well. Also, advertise your NF in the WV chat box thread, with a link to the NF post. Another thing you can also do is @mention people who might be interested: meaning those who often seem to like your entries, or those you think might enjoy these particular songs. And I'd strongly suggest using @mentions over sending PMs when fishing for potential voters, as the latter can be seen as putting people in an awkward spot.

Well, I've been putting the link in the chat box, and I'll do that as soon as I finish this post. I am also putting the DDL in the title, too. I'm also going to admit something to you right now...Most of the time, I ignore mentions of that type when I get them. One reason I ignore them is that I don't care what anybody else has got going on in their own GRs/NFs. Call me whatever you like, but that is my truth.

Another thing I would suggest is to tone down the expectation you have to get the votes well before the DDL. When people see a DDL, most are going to want to be rest assured that they have all the time in the world until that deadline to vote whenever they see fit/have the time, even if it's the very last minute.

This part seems stupid to me, and it might be that I'm ignorant. When I do these, I have an assumption that if you don't vote after I've given you plenty of time to do so, then you're lazy and/or you don't care. I probably shouldn't have this assumption about my fellow jurors, but just to let you know, I don't make it a big deal. Mostly because at this point, after the many DNQs I got, I'm used to jurors not caring about me. It's no skin off my nose.

Plus, if I had a situation like this, I would want to vote as soon as possible. And I do.

With you being so adamant that people not wait until the last day to vote, some potential voters who might need all the time until the deadline to vote, might wonder whether you'll even wait for their votes, and will thus feel discouraged to give your NF a go.

After reading this, though, I mostly see your point. I do need to be more understanding and not be so impatient with folks.

Also the idea that voters should suggest songs if they don't like the ones you've got might discourage potential voters as well (because it's essentially sending the signal that the time they will take out of their day to listen to these songs and cast their votes will be for nothing, if there's a risk you could go with a song somebody suggested instead).

To be fair, I put in the caveat of having to listen to all six of the pre-selected songs and ranking them first before suggesting something. I see your point, though.

This is just me trying to help you out a bit, so I hope you don't take it the wrong way. :)

Hopefully, I'm not being too much of an ignoramus with this post. Thanks for seeing the potential in me enough to write in my GR!

You see, I didn't know about all these unwritten rules of WorldVision when I first started doing it. I just figured that you do A, then you do B, and then you do A again, and then finally another round of B. I'll try to do the mentions, too, but it might be a bit rough at first. However, I do have one question after reading your post: How seriously should I take WorldVision?

RevNet

First mention test:
[MENTION=14372]Uvaro[/MENTION] [MENTION=14451]ferret[/MENTION] [MENTION=4724]EurovisionSmile[/MENTION] [MENTION=12510]esc87fan[/MENTION] [MENTION=7006]Hele.[/MENTION] [MENTION=11883]Gogerko[/MENTION] [MENTION=6452]CypriotGirl[/MENTION] [MENTION=13598]Veronika[/MENTION] [MENTION=15047]Alevender[/MENTION] [MENTION=13201]TomCherson[/MENTION] [MENTION=12033]Nicholas123[/MENTION] [MENTION=11624]Sultana[/MENTION] [MENTION=10742]daniels1000[/MENTION] [MENTION=13974]DenizESC[/MENTION] [MENTION=15900]antonywinter[/MENTION] [MENTION=12072]Amir[/MENTION] [MENTION=12553]Krishoes[/MENTION] [MENTION=11243]ZoboCamel[/MENTION] [MENTION=13314]DaFlo[/MENTION] [MENTION=10639]as78[/MENTION] [MENTION=16089]anaraqueen[/MENTION] [MENTION=15334]LastDreamer[/MENTION] [MENTION=15700]JSSArcos[/MENTION] [MENTION=11728]Alex1211ander[/MENTION] [MENTION=12800]Adrian[/MENTION] [MENTION=9441]RainyWoods[/MENTION] [MENTION=11993]whiteshoes[/MENTION] [MENTION=5001]FabiESC[/MENTION] [MENTION=15587]MasterMinddk[/MENTION] [MENTION=14007]lavieenrose[/MENTION] [MENTION=10140]cegs5[/MENTION] [MENTION=15323]Eulaliya[/MENTION] [MENTION=14424]Genesis[/MENTION] [MENTION=16177]Himan[/MENTION] [MENTION=11640]vikt0r[/MENTION] [MENTION=8763]Gera11[/MENTION] [MENTION=5523]Steffan[/MENTION] [MENTION=15105]SaladBreak[/MENTION] [MENTION=15953]SeguinWay[/MENTION] [MENTION=13948]fer20[/MENTION] [MENTION=15070]John1[/MENTION] [MENTION=4597]Stargazer[/MENTION] [MENTION=8534]theCONWEL[/MENTION] [MENTION=16237]Mrvn[/MENTION] [MENTION=10162]Rose82[/MENTION] [MENTION=4911]kopachka[/MENTION] [MENTION=12992]Fierro[/MENTION] [MENTION=7480]Kimrt[/MENTION] [MENTION=6221]Mozz[/MENTION] [MENTION=5527]Charly[/MENTION] [MENTION=12894]ClassifiedCat[/MENTION] [MENTION=12078]AshleyWright[/MENTION] [MENTION=14505]Lupus[/MENTION]

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
Hey there! Will vote tonight :)

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member

WARNING: This post might contain a bit of ignorance, due to the fact that I am from Alabama and that I am on the autism spectrum.

Well, I've been putting the link in the chat box, and I'll do that as soon as I finish this post. I am also putting the DDL in the title, too. I'm also going to admit something to you right now...Most of the time, I ignore mentions of that type when I get them. One reason I ignore them is that I don't care what anybody else has got going on in their own GRs/NFs. Call me whatever you like, but that is my truth.
Fair enough, that's perfectly fine. Just be aware that it probably works both ways. Other WVers might not care that much about other people's Green Room threads or NFs either, including yours. ;) For me, it's not that I don't care about my fellow contestants and their threads, it's just that I don't really have the time to vote in people's NFs most of the time. And if I say yes to one, then I'd feel really bad about having to turn others down, so I avoid the NFs usually as a principle.

This part seems stupid to me, and it might be that I'm ignorant. When I do these, I have an assumption that if you don't vote after I've given you plenty of time to do so, then you're lazy and/or you don't care. I probably shouldn't have this assumption about my fellow jurors, but just to let you know, I don't make it a big deal. Mostly because at this point, after the many DNQs I got, I'm used to jurors not caring about me. It's no skin off my nose.
If that's the assumption you have then that's on you, but I don't think it's exactly fair. I can only speak for me, but it's not like people live on the forum 24/7 and have the time to do things right away as soon as they are posted. People have work or school/uni (and if the latter, then they have assignments, homework, tests, exams, etc), hobbies, friends and family that take up a lot of their time each day. And if they're adults and don't live with their parents anymore, they have all the household chores and duties to take care of. Some might only have a certain designated forum time every few days. I know that I personally have to plan my voting and think carefully when I will have the time to listen to the songs and vote.

Hopefully, I'm not being too much of an ignoramus with this post. Thanks for seeing the potential in me enough to write in my GR!

You see, I didn't know about all these unwritten rules of WorldVision when I first started doing it. I just figured that you do A, then you do B, and then you do A again, and then finally another round of B. I'll try to do the mentions, too, but it might be a bit rough at first. However, I do have one question after reading your post: How seriously should I take WorldVision?
It's not so much unwritten rules, as it's years of trial and error and observation of what usually tends to work the best. As for how seriously you should take it? That's up to you, but I personally take it very seriously. And what I mean by that is, I've spent a lot of my time the past 6½ years with this contest. We're hearing roughly 60 new songs every three weeks. That's roughly 7,000 new songs that I've heard these past 6½ years. That's a lot of time spent listening, listening again, ranking, voting, hanging out on plug.dj, following results shows, and whatever else has come along. Time I certainly could have spent on other things. And it's not just the songs. The contest has also become a community. Sure there are groups or cliques or whatever you would call them, and there's been a lot of drama over the years, but I've found friends for life through this contest. I've discovered SO many fantastic new artists and songs that have become such big favorites for me. I've been able to share songs from my country that otherwise would have been completely unknown to most of y'all. We get to pretend it's Eurovision every month all throughout the year.

By the way, your thread title wasn't edited, only the thread title of your reply was, but since you're not the thread owner I went ahead and edited the thread title for you.

And when I said to also advertise in the chat box, I meant the chat box thread:
http://escunited.com/forum/threads/8845-WorldVision-Chat-Box/page349

RevNet

In a little under 150 minutes (2.5 hours) from now, I am no longer accepting votes and I will also be closing this room. Almost immediately after that, I will send the winning song as my entry and the second-placed song as my backup. Thank you again to those that voted and I also thank you if you at least checked out what goes on here.

RevNet

Talk about being under the wire here: With eight minutes left, I received another set of votes. Although it doesn't really change things as far as what song won and what song got second place, I appreciate these votes all the same. As it stands now and as promised, this room is closed until further notice.

EDIT: Entry and backup have been sent as of 5:11p CST.

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

Can't wait to see which song won xcheer

RevNet

Well, I didn't win WV105, which sucks. That also means a fresh batch of songs is coming your way. Watch this space!

I tried to test something just now, and it didn't work. That's why you were seeing code just now.

RevNet

All right, the six potential songs for my entry into WV106 are below:

Song #1

Song #2

Song #3

Song #4

Song #5

Song #6

The scoring/ranking system will be the same as before. I want these votes by Friday, March 15th @ 5 PM CST. I will mention everyone in another post.

RevNet

[MENTION=14372]Uvaro[/MENTION] [MENTION=14451]ferret[/MENTION] [MENTION=4724]EurovisionSmile[/MENTION] [MENTION=7006]Hele.[/MENTION] [MENTION=11883]Gogerko[/MENTION] [MENTION=6452]CypriotGirl[/MENTION] [MENTION=13598]Veronika[/MENTION] [MENTION=15047]Alevender[/MENTION] [MENTION=13201]TomCherson[/MENTION] [MENTION=12033]Nicholas123[/MENTION] [MENTION=11624]Sultana[/MENTION] [MENTION=10742]daniels1000[/MENTION] [MENTION=13974]DenizESC[/MENTION] [MENTION=15900]antonywinter[/MENTION] [MENTION=12072]Amir[/MENTION] [MENTION=12553]Krishoes[/MENTION] [MENTION=11243]ZoboCamel[/MENTION] [MENTION=13314]DaFlo[/MENTION] [MENTION=10639]as78[/MENTION] [MENTION=16089]anaraqueen[/MENTION] [MENTION=15700]JSSArcos[/MENTION] [MENTION=11728]Alex1211ander[/MENTION] [MENTION=12800]Adrian[/MENTION] [MENTION=9441]RainyWoods[/MENTION] [MENTION=11993]whiteshoes[/MENTION] [MENTION=5001]FabiESC[/MENTION] [MENTION=15587]MasterMinddk[/MENTION] [MENTION=14007]lavieenrose[/MENTION] [MENTION=10140]cegs5[/MENTION] [MENTION=15323]Eulaliya[/MENTION] [MENTION=14424]Genesis[/MENTION] [MENTION=16177]Himan[/MENTION] [MENTION=11640]vikt0r[/MENTION] [MENTION=8763]Gera11[/MENTION] [MENTION=5523]Steffan[/MENTION] [MENTION=15105]SaladBreak[/MENTION] [MENTION=15953]SeguinWay[/MENTION] [MENTION=13948]fer20[/MENTION] [MENTION=15070]John1[/MENTION] [MENTION=4597]Stargazer[/MENTION] [MENTION=8534]theCONWEL[/MENTION] [MENTION=16237]Mrvn[/MENTION] [MENTION=12992]Fierro[/MENTION] [MENTION=7480]Kimrt[/MENTION] [MENTION=6221]Mozz[/MENTION] [MENTION=5527]Charly[/MENTION] [MENTION=12894]ClassifiedCat[/MENTION] [MENTION=12078]AshleyWright[/MENTION] [MENTION=14505]Lupus[/MENTION]

RevNet

Entry and backup have now been sent as of today at 5:01p CST. This Green Room is closed until further notice.

RevNet

Regardless of whether or not I qualify for the WV106 Grand Final (chances are that I won't), I probably won't be using this Green Room to determine my next entry, as I have a pretty good idea of what I want to send next. It will be something that was put up here for consideration before, but I still love the song so much that I want to send it as my WV107 entry regardless of how I do in WV106.

Just because I'm not using the GR now, that doesn't mean that the room will be closed. This is because you all can now use this opportunity to post in here and tell me what you want to change, as far as how I conduct NFs. Right now, I usually find six songs by British Columbian acts, put them up here, and have you rank them on a range from Superior (I) to Poor (V). All this can change, from the number of songs I post in here to the voting system in use. I am putting the mentions down below because I want to hear from you all on this issue:

[MENTION=14372]Uvaro[/MENTION] [MENTION=14451]ferret[/MENTION] [MENTION=4724]EurovisionSmile[/MENTION] [MENTION=7006]Hele.[/MENTION] [MENTION=11883]Gogerko[/MENTION] [MENTION=6452]CypriotGirl[/MENTION] [MENTION=13598]Veronika[/MENTION] [MENTION=15047]Alevender[/MENTION] [MENTION=13201]TomCherson[/MENTION] [MENTION=12033]Nicholas123[/MENTION] [MENTION=11624]Sultana[/MENTION] [MENTION=10742]daniels1000[/MENTION] [MENTION=13974]DenizESC[/MENTION] [MENTION=15900]antonywinter[/MENTION] [MENTION=12072]Amir[/MENTION] [MENTION=12553]Krishoes[/MENTION] [MENTION=11243]ZoboCamel[/MENTION] [MENTION=13314]DaFlo[/MENTION] [MENTION=10639]as78[/MENTION] [MENTION=16089]anaraqueen[/MENTION] [MENTION=15700]JSSArcos[/MENTION] [MENTION=11728]Alex1211ander[/MENTION] [MENTION=12800]Adrian[/MENTION] [MENTION=9441]RainyWoods[/MENTION] [MENTION=11993]whiteshoes[/MENTION] [MENTION=5001]FabiESC[/MENTION] [MENTION=15587]MasterMinddk[/MENTION] [MENTION=14007]lavieenrose[/MENTION] [MENTION=10140]cegs5[/MENTION] [MENTION=15323]Eulaliya[/MENTION] [MENTION=14424]Genesis[/MENTION] [MENTION=16177]Himan[/MENTION] [MENTION=11640]vikt0r[/MENTION] [MENTION=8763]Gera11[/MENTION] [MENTION=5523]Steffan[/MENTION] [MENTION=15105]SaladBreak[/MENTION] [MENTION=15953]SeguinWay[/MENTION] [MENTION=13948]fer20[/MENTION] [MENTION=15070]John1[/MENTION] [MENTION=4597]Stargazer[/MENTION] [MENTION=8534]theCONWEL[/MENTION] [MENTION=16237]Mrvn[/MENTION] [MENTION=12992]Fierro[/MENTION] [MENTION=7480]Kimrt[/MENTION] [MENTION=6221]Mozz[/MENTION] [MENTION=5527]Charly[/MENTION] [MENTION=12894]ClassifiedCat[/MENTION] [MENTION=12078]AshleyWright[/MENTION] [MENTION=14505]Lupus[/MENTION]

Only one person voted in here the last go-around (for WV106), and this is another reason that I am foregoing using this Green Room, albeit a minor one.

That's really it, folks. I am leaving this room open, although we won't be picking songs like we usually do in here. I hope this is fine with everyone. Thanks for reading!

CypriotGirl

Veteran

You introduced very good songs, I gave you a :12: and a :10: so far! I hope you think about it and don't go, it's not only about the result, it's about sharing music we like with one another.

RevNet

Well, I still have time to reconsider, and if I do go, it'll only be for that edition.

Top Bottom