Contact us

Bringing back the language rule!

B3stbeats

Spain.png
We usually sing in spanish, we aren't need that.

ESC94

I´m totally opposed to the language rule. I really like when countries sing in their national language, but people who wish this rule back shouldn´t forget that this is still the Eurovision Song Contest, so we are talking about a competition. And a competition should be fair and have the same conditions for all participants, and the freedom of languages belongs to this. I really dont wanna go back to the 90s when :ie: and :uk: had a guarantee for the first two places regardless how mediocre their entries were just because they could sing in English!!

HerrWaschbär

I'd love to have more countries sing in their native language, but there shouldn't be a rule, which forces any country to do so. It should be everyone's free choice.

Fluke

I'm pretty much completely against it, but if it was ever considered, i'd bet my ass that the Swedish delegation is gonna try and get them to make a special exception because "English is commonly used as an everyday language in Sweden" and they're just gonna use it to handicap countries they don't want to win.

Ajeje Brazorf

I'm opposed to have it on regular basis, but it can be used for particular years. For example, if I will still be Alice, I will love to see this rule applied in 2056 for the celebrations of 100 years of Eurovision.

Mainshow

Veteran
Yes - but :mt: has to sing in Maltese, :ie: in Irish/Gaelic and the :uk: should perform in Welsh, Scots, Scottish Gaelic or Cornish.

(un)"professional" juries have always heavily voted for generic songs in English (look at the 90`s) - :mt: :ie: and :uk: shouldn't get praised for being mediocre again.

aeon

Here is a new idea. EMSC = European Minorities Song Contest.

To be held every 4 years in september.
Performers and composition from an ethnic minority that was already present pre 20th century. Song in the minority language.

televote

As we are not calling it eurovision we could get commercial tv stations in each country if national broadcasters don't want it.

AndroZeus

Today's hot take: Instead of making a "native language" rule, just ban English entirely. English is for hosting, not for songs.

Ban all languages and make everyone sing in the fake made up languages tha Belgium created and no one understands.
Hell no
Ban english french and spanish
Where will they go now?

You are free to do that but most European and Asian artists do compose and sing in their native tongue. At least for their local markets and these should be represented in ESC. In large areas (Nordics are no part of) actually it would not even ocurr to anyone making music in another language than her or his own except it is for the contest. With humiliating results sometimes I say. This pretty likely never will be 'outdated' because it is about culture and honesty. Other things are 'outdated' in ESC these days.
Bloc voting is outdated

So I've read some of the responses in here and here's my response to some of it.

Firstly, pardon me for saying, but I find some of statements rather ignorant. MyHeartIsYours say that most Europeans know English (which is false) and goes on about that there are no cultural diversity to begin with (or they are dying), so basically all of Europe is Anglo-saxic then? Or should be? I don't know if you say these things because you happen to be an English speaker yourself and belong to that culture, but it's not really true and it's kinda sad if this is something to promote (no offense to English or Anglo-saxic culture, but that's not the whole world).

In many eastern parts Russian is the second most known language and then comes German, English might end up fourth or even fifth in some cases, the general population do NOT know English that well. Same goes for some Central and Southern European countries aswell. So that leaves us with basically the Nordic countries and the English speaking ones, which do not represent all Europe!

And yes cultures ARE dying in Europe, but they do still exist but somehow it seems to you that they better be extinct? That just because English and Anglo-saxic is dominating we just have to obey to that idea? And don't misunderstand me, I have NOTHING against those, but my world doesn't stop there and nor does Europe.

This leads me to my comment about EBU and politics. EBU is not an direct political project BUT it was started (as many other projects in Europe) after WW2 to bring Europe together, so was the EU and other projects. EBU is a television networking project and don't underestimate culture and entertainment when it comes to forming ideas. When EU is breaking down borders, taking away sovereignty and slowly deleting cultures etc. obviously EBU CAN play a part in all this and they actually do. Culture and identity plays just as big part in forming nations and mindsets as economics and pure politics do, it's not to be underestimated, and taking those away just to impose something else is not the right way to go.

About the lyrics aspect:

I understand the point with understanding lyrics and we all appreciate different things in music for sure, but I still find this argument kind of silly when we all know by know Eurovision has NEVER really been about good lyrics in the first place, that's not what this contest got known for or is known for. Even entries from English speaking countries and entries from countries where English can be seen universally as "second language" are sending songs with quite nonsense lyrics and that's more or less always been the case.

And why is this? Because it's a song competition where you ought to reach out to millions of potential voters in 3 minutes, there's simply not room or space for that clever lyrics, so I don't really buy into that whole "lyrics argument". If we were talking music in general maybe, but not so much for Eurovision.

Also, and I guess this might be just for me, but there's a reason why music is called a universal language in itself. I didn't make up that phrasing and I think there's a point in it.

And yes, I think there is a problem that European diversity is NOT reflected as much any longer in the contest and I think the whole concept of this original idea IS dying because of that. Entries are still representing countries, that's the whole basic concept of this contest, and why is that? Just because? Offcourse not.

I don't believe in forcing countries to sing in their native languages, but currently I think this ignorant idea about Anglo-saxic culture and English superiority has indeed been taken over and I don't think it's good for the contest at all.

Instead of bringing our countries together and share the diversity that actually DO exist (as the original idea was), it has ended into blending all Europe into just another mini-USA or anglo-saxic sort of unity.

And yes, I KNOW the impact English has and I know what countries dominated the music industry, but if that's what you want why just not turn into your local radio? I really believe Eurovision is something bigger and more interesting than that and it has its history which we can't just erase.
w am sorry but I strongly disagree

Last edited:
Here is a new idea. EMSC = European Minorities Song Contest.

To be held every 4 years in september.
Performers and composition from an ethnic minority that was already present pre 20th century. Song in the minority language.

televote

As we are not calling it eurovision we could get commercial tv stations in each country if national broadcasters don't want it.
It is called liet lavet

Top Bottom