Bremen

WorldVision

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
97F9LBL.png

bremen-location-on-the-germany-map.jpg

Moin, Moin and welcome to Bremen,

the home of Beck’s beer, Jacob’s coffee, a fairytale about animal musicians,
an important place of international aeronautics research and formerly an important place for shipbuilding and European trade.

It is also the home of many missionaries who played a key role
in the Christianization of Scandinavia, which is why we are sometimes called Rome of the North.

Moreover, one of Germany’s most successful football clubs
called SV Werder is located in Bremen, having won the German league four times,
the national cup six times, the European cup of cup winners in and made it to the UEFA Cup final in 2009.

What Bremen lacks is good music.
The only world hit that was created here was the 1990s summer hit Coco Jambo,
but as long as I don’t fall into an strange early childhood nostalgia, you won’t see me sending it.

Anyway, I found three songs I can proudly and confidently send and hopefully get some good results.
Three is a low number so I’d love to find some more songs before I leave.
It will be tough considering the low population of Bremen
(still almost twice as much as Iceland, but Icelandic people is supernatural anyway)
and the lack of professionality of many bands. But I won’t give up!

ShoeFlo's entry database

ShoeFlo's entry playlist

Please mind that embedded Spotify playlists can only display a maximum of 100 songs. So if you want to see all songs you gotta open the spotify list in a different tab. Some of the songs displayed in the list are local files I had added because the songs do not exist in Spotify. Those songs you obviously can't play. The songs in question are:
Ólafur Arnalds (ft. Haukur Heiðar Hauksson) - A Hundred Reasons
Yoko Kanno ft. Árnor Dan - Von
Sumio Shiratori - Yuugure
Naoki Sato - Tokyo Medal ceremony

2EL3Pui.gif
2EL3Pui.gif
2EL3Pui.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

ShoeFlo

220px-Flag_of_Bremen.svg.png
WV 153: Faun feat. Versengold - Drei Wanderer (Three hikers)
220px-Flag_of_Bremen.svg.png

Faun_Band-by-Iseris-Art-Kopie-724x1024.jpg
VERSENGOLD-1.jpg

Lyrics + Translation

Right for my debut in my home region (and city) I decided to send a prominent WV veteran and Pot F favorite: Faun!
Now, they ain't got any connection to Bremen, but for this very song they collaborated with a Bremen folk-rock band called Versengold whose lead singer Malte Hoyer contributed the male vocals in this song. Versengold's usual style is more inspired by Irish folk but they've always had a soft spot for the medieval sounds of Faun, too. The song "Drei Wanderer" is actually an "old" traditional song and as far as I know Faun performed versions of it regularly in concerts already a decado ago. But for the new album they apparently wanted to record a more lively and spirited version of the song and Versengold was the right band to assist for this. Moreover, this is also a return of a favour because in the previous Versengold album "Nordlicht" the Faun singer Laura Fella lent her voice for the song "Teufelstanz". If you hear the violin hook of that song you notice what I meant by saying their style is much closer to Irish folk.

"Drei Wanderer" is simply about three (probably friends) hikers who are having a card match and outdo one another. Parts of the lyrics are slightly archaic and elevated and I didn't even find a 100% correct lyrics in the world wide web so I had to do it myself. The (German) lyrics that was suggested first by google cracked me up... the guy or girl who wrote it down invented at least three words, included random words like "Honig" (honey) and "würfeln" (dice) and a phrase you would use as a dog command.. maybe it was Honey he or she had stuck in her ears while listening to the song xcrazy Anyway, writing down the german lyrics wasn't hard for me, translating it in English however was a challenge. I translated it loosely because in some bits I was unsure what is precisely the meaning of the statement... however, the story isn't complex anyway!

Thanks in advance for your support. I hope I make the final xcheer

Last edited:

ShoeFlo

::bmen WV 154: James Last - Einsamer Hirte ::bmen

2328326,rJyVawnUDdTUnMGpuT0Cn65TM35RZa40k2xt42kolnv+rb7uv2tsKyQsxSaYJctRZ5rJIEytDbP_o8xedKHyuA==.jpg

For this edition I chose an entry that is very very dear to me and that I've been looking forward to send from the moment on I've decided to take over Bremen (which is like 8 editions ago). Einsamer Hirte is a stunningly beautiful instrumental piece of 1977, notorious for its distinctive pan flute play. Beside "Biscaya" (1981) It became Lasts biggest hit and also made in into the German charts.

Hans "James" Last was born in Bremen in 1929 and started his music career as jazz bassist and was considered the best of his kind in the early 1950s. Later he became famous for his "easy listening" tunes (hater called him the king of elevator music). His trademark "happy music" made him famous not only in Germany, but also in the UK, Eastern Asia and Russia, amongst others. His sound employed big band arrangements of well-known tunes with a jaunty dance beat, often heavy on bass and brass but he also composed himself.

Beside Bert Kaempfert, James Last was the most successful German composer of the 1970s and 1980s and the commercially most successful bandleader. He sold up to 200 million albums worldwide, and furthermore reached the German charts with 110 different albums (!) which is an unreachable record. 46 of those even reached the Top 10. Some of his compositions were covered by international singers, such as "Games That Lovers Play" from 1966. His composition "Happy Heart" which he actually considered a failure was successfully covered and sung by Petula Clark and more famously Andy Williams. He is also the composer of an late Elvis song, called "Fool".

James Last was full of energy and creativity and up to his last day he lwas passionate about what he did. He made his farwell tour in spring of 2015, when he was already 86 years old. 44 days after his last concert he died in Florida, where he lived and spent big parts of his life.

My entry Einsamer Hirte, whose international title is The Lonely Shepherd, gained new popularity in 2003 when it was prominently featured in Quentin Tarantino's Kill Bill. That gave it a big boost, cause I feel like it was a bit forgotten before that... since then however I've heard it covered and sampled many times, be it in talent shows or commercially. I've known and appreciated since my very young years. James Last is a important personality of this city, which is also why he once left his golden handprint in Bremens "Mall of fame"

ein_weitere_gro_er_musiker_auch_james_last_verewigt_sich_2004_in_seiner_heimatstadt..jpeg

By the way, the video I hastily created by myself because I really wanted this song being accompanied by vast landscapes, seas and especially sunsets. While it looks like a random compliation of Windows background pictures I actually chose them wisely in a sense that all of those pictures are shot in Germany which proves that we also have amazing landscapes. The only non-German picture is the one with the airplane close to the end... thats actually a screenshot of Kill Bill xcrazy

Top Bottom