Contact us

Bosnia & Herzegovina BOSNIA & HERZEGOVINA 2024 - not taking part

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Journalist

Sweden won the Eurovision Song Contest in 2012, after which Bosnia and Herzegovina withdrew from the competition in 2013. Sweden wins again in 2015, and Bosnia and Herzegovina returns to the Eurovision Song Contest in 2016. Sweden won again - I hope that Bosnia and Herzegovina will return in 2024 again.
200w.gif
math-hangover.gif

I hope that Sweden will bring us happiness again, because obviously everything is about Sweden for us. ;)

Oshawott

I would love to see it but we all know their comeback won't happen just yet.

They have to pay for the fee and give back millions to the EBU.

Journalist

It's not the only one reason and I think it's not the main one - "financial issues at the broadcaster". The situation is pretty complicated when it comes to the broadcaster (as everything else in our country).​

ag89

We have a new government who might be more willing to solve the issues related to financing national broadcaster. Bosnia is a complicated country, but finances are not the only reason. I have some contacts in BHRT and once Dejan Kukrić left BHRT people who took over Eurovision didn't do anything for Eurovision and the lack of ambition is 50% of the story here. It's not even a huge debt, it is relatively easy to solve. They simply don't give a fuck. I feel sorry for all those wasted talents who have no chance to present their music and their country in front of so many people.
I find it embarrassing we don't participate, Bosnia has fantastic talents and actually quite interesting music scene that unfortunately lacks proper investment and production to become more regionally popular.
I am sceptic about our return next year, but I wouldn't say it is impossible.

Journalist

Well, I agree that the new government might solve some things about the ESC.
I agree with you - we were in the same situation in 2016 but it has been solved. They need to try to find some solution. I hope they will TRY.

Mainshow

Veteran
Now it's official:
:ba: won't be participating in Malmö next year

BHRT has confirmed to ESCToday that Bosnia & Herzegovina will not participate at the forthcoming 2024 Eurovision Song Contest in Malmo, Sweden due to ongoing financial hurdle the broadcaster is facing. Unfortunately the country’s situation remains the same as in recent years.

hijirio

Veteran
I don’t wanna be a bitch but how can financial burden be an excuse when Moldova (poorest country in Europe) and Ukraine (currently in a war costing billions of dollas) are participating?

They’re just a corrupt broadcaster stealing people’s taxes i gas.

Journalist

I don’t wanna be a bitch but how can financial burden be an excuse when Moldova (poorest country in Europe) and Ukraine (currently in a war costing billions of dollas) are participating?

Totally. 💯

I don't know if I'm surprised. Somehow, every year I hope we come back, but no. I am convinced and I know that there are people who are fighting for us to go to the Eurovision Song Contest, but the situation in the country is, to put it mildly, terrible, so I am not surprised that no one attaches importance to the Eurovision Song Contest. The political scene is very complicated and they do not care about the ESC. We, the fans of the Eurovision Song Contest from Bosnia and Herzegovina, have to identify ourselves with another country and cheer for it, in addition to the regular favorites.​

Last edited:

Journalist

How many times people it is not about funding it is about the difficulty of governance between the Republika Srpska & the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, anything that can be seen as a promotion of a single unified nation state is a headache for the Bosnian Government

It's true, but not for the both sides. It's only for those who doesn't accept Bosnia and Herzegovina as their country, place of their birth.​

A-lister

Veteran

So don't be a bitch :lol:

You know that the answer isn't about how rich a country is, but how rich a broadcaster is and sometimes those correlate, sometimes not. Luxembourg is like THE richest country on the planet (if we count GDP/capita) but the broadcaster is not all that... Ireland is another example. Also it's about sponsorship, from my understanding both the Moldovan and Ukrainian entrants in Eurovision need to rely quite much on sponsorship paying some of the costs, and as long as someone wants to invest, it works.

Also as much as it saddens me to say, Bosnia is basically 2.5 states in one and if they can't get into agreement on bigger things, obviously the "smaller" ones are left to the side and the past years it just seems like it's working less and less. But yeah, it would be great if Bosnia would come back eventually.

Last edited:
Top Bottom