Contact us

Bosnia & Herzegovina BOSNIA & HERZEGOVINA 2016 - Deen, Dalal Midhat-Talačić, Ana Rucner & Jala - Ljubav je

How do you rate the entry?

21 12.4%

11 6.5%

21 12.4%

21 12.4%

18 10.7%

24 14.2%

10 5.9%

10 5.9%

13 7.7%

5 3.0%

15 8.9%

• Total voters

Rusch

I think the rapper cost them the final. And I didn't understand why Aserbaijan qualified either.

A-lister

Veteran
I think the rapper cost them the final.

This! The rap part in generally destroy a pretty decent song, and this was vocally one of the better performances aswell but then again the complete pointless rap part. I mean as far as Balkan song goes this is one of the weaker ones we got in ESC, but in this year's weak bunch it should have still made it to the finals atleast.

zs1001

Thank god! Finicking performance with refugee theme did not work. Deserved NQ.

Scooby

Everything was wrong with Bosnia this year. Deserved non qualifier

Terence

This! The rap part in generally destroy a pretty decent song, and this was vocally one of the better performances aswell but then again the complete pointless rap part. I mean as far as Balkan song goes this is one of the weaker ones we got in ESC, but in this year's weak bunch it should have still made it to the finals atleast.

I don't get why countries have to involve rap in their songs when they are inoffensive themselves. The Bosnian song starts in a heavenly way with all the traditional instruments and all, and along comes the rap (maybe to try and look hip?!) and spoils the party. Reminds me of Macedonia 2010 - a decent song with an uncalled for rap part. Just... why?!

Milos-BC

I hoped to see them in the final, but I am not too surprised :(

I think the performance was ok, but the vocal part, at least on Dalal's part wasn't good. That, and the fact that the semi was too strong were crucial here. As for the rap part, I personally loved it, and I don't think it pulled that many viewers from it because it wasn't even long at all to begin with.

All in all.........not surprising, but sad anyway :(

neinnein

Everything was messy but I guess that was the reason I loved it. Voted a few times for this. Hope Bosnia will be back next year and will find back to old strength again.

Out out the countries with 100% qualification rate, I was disappointed Azerbaijan was the one that didn't lose it yesterday. Would have prefered this or Greece to go through. I knew there was no chance of Russia missing out, so I'm not counting them.

JimmyJump

This should have qualified IMO. beautiful song, beautiful voices, beautiful instrument and the best: The awesome rap part. This was way better than Austria for example

ag89

Well, I guess it's ok for 100% qualifiers to feel how is to stay in semi final. :D

Their performance left me totally cold and I knew we won't make it.

The song was ok, nothing special, but ok. Old school, but not in a good way. They should have revamped it so that song has some modern beat or something. This version was just one more pop-rock Balkan radio song.

Their performance, I mean, realization was confusing and really bad. Vocals more or less. People didn't understand the point. This is the first time in many years Bosnia had an amateurish and cheap presentation on stage. Normally, Bosnia is able to turn modest and ok ish songs into great entries. For example, I have never liked Bistra voda too much. But they had a fully professional staging. Vukašin as well. And so on and so on.

I don't care if we were kicked out by the jury or televote, we didn't deserve to qualify and that's it.

Bosnia has a great underground music scene. They have to be discovered and brought to Eurovision.

tuorem

I agree [MENTION=14756]ag89[/MENTION] you accustomed us to such great entries that this one - at least for me - looked pale in comparison. Even given the semi 1 lineup, which wasn't stellar, it still looked and sounded like a weak effort.

The song and the staging got me totally confused, it was too all over the place and uninspiring to do well. I still expected you to qualify because of your qualification record, but I was kind of "glad" that you failed with this (same thing for Greece) since you can do way better than this.

I hope you'll be there next year and that you'll get back to your quality standards both musically and visually. :)

eugoose

Deen could've saved this if he stripped off that coat halfway to show the pink shirt he wore in 2004. Then everyone should sing "In the Disco," and hip pumped a few times, and this would've qualified 100%.

tuorem

Today is monday: the perfect time to review this year's Bosnian entry :D

Deen, Dalal Midhat-Talačić, Ana Rucner & Jala - Ljubav je

Song: Bosnia & Herzegovina is for me the only Balkan country that never played when sending Eurovision entries. I started watching the contest in 2009 and I have to say that they deserved every qualification in my opinion: especially "Bistra Voda", "Love In Rewind and "Korake Ti Znam" - that I listen to quite regularly - are just amazing to me. To sum up my thoughts, Bosnians are consistent and present quality songs with often original arrangements, besides, they aren't afraid of showcasing their culture and language, so kudos to them, that's what Eurovision should be about. However, their Eurovision history led to a two-edged situation where my expectations towards them got higher and higher, which means that the day they would send an ok entry (which would objectively be considered good), I would be disappointed, and unfortunately that is what happened this year. First, when the four artists were announced, I instantly had Armenia 2015 vibes: I mean broadcasters shouldn't gather people who don't have a lot in common or way too different artistic universes because, in Eurovision, the likelihood that the final product ends up being a total mess is rather high. With a cellist, a rapper and two singers (one of which wasn't really known for vocals), I wondered how everything could be put together in a smooth way. Well... "Ljubav Je" was born. It's a love song that - first of all - is in their mother tongue, so thank you guys for not giving in to the English temptation, that was very refreshing and appreciated in an edition where 99% of the songs were in English or contained some lines in English. xclap As for the musical aspect though, I've been quite disappointed because the song doesn't seem to "stand on its own" unlike most Bosnian efforts, if that makes sense. It starts with (traditional?) percussions and a cello solo, which sounds very Balkan, authentic and beautiful; it is kind of the melodic hook of the song. Then Deen and Dala begin to sing one after the other before "meeting" during the chorus with clear drums, electric guitars and strings. Putting the cello solo again afterwards was a clever thing, that was a smooth transition, making the end of the chorus sound less abrupt and "empty". After the second verse, they included a controversial twist: Jala :D I admit that given the absence of transition, that rapping part sounds quite incongruous, especially since Jala's rap is quite agressive there, while the rest of the song is rather soulful, melodic and slow. At first listen, I thought that part was ruining the whole thing, but it grew on me, and now I believe it gives strength to the song at that point, still they could have worked on it to make it sound less out of place. It was a last-minute addition, and sadly it sounds so. Overall, the song is rather nice, there is nothing that touches me deeply in it, but that's decent. I guess I'm not impressed because Bosnia sent better ballads of that kind in a not-so-distant past, and "Ljubav Je" isn't anything we haven't heard before. I wish the overall arrangements were more refined, it sounded a little bit like a demo to me. So: did all those elements work together? I'd say yes, quite well, surprisingly. Nonetheless, considering Bosnian standards since 2009, this is by far their weakest effort imo.

Voice: Everyone performed well. Dalal's voice is so great and fitted the song so well, I wish she was the only vocalist tbh. Deen did his best, he doesn't have a bad voice but I felt like he oversang his parts, too much drama in gestures, too many vibes for a melody that should have been interpreted in a simpler way (like Dalal basically), vocally he isn't quite at the same level as Dalal imo. Jalal killed his part though, good job!

Staging: Staging was probably a big WTH for people who didn't know what they were trying to say. I myself didn't get it the first time and thought all the elements they had on stage were just gimmicks, I had to watch interviews to finally understand that it was about refugees' situation in Europe, which Bosnia is quite sensible to as it is a multi-ethnic and multi-confessional country. Ana and the backing vocalists were wearing survival blankets while Deen and Dalal were separated by a barbed wire fence. To be honest, I think the fence was sufficient, the blankets were kinda distracting and might have made people think this was another Eurovision clothing eccentricity. :? The backdrops were very simple, almost too discreet: they first displayed white-ish/grey-ish triangular shapes, then moving white lines and grids (during the chorus) which turned orange towards the end... I don't think it enhanced the song, it looked cold and quite uninspiring tbh. Work on lights was also not that fancy. As for the clothes, they looked mismatched: Deen wore a long coat, close-fitting trousers and boots, all in black, which was rather nice; Jalal was also dressed in black with a long coat and sunglasses; Ana wore a sexy shiny golden one-piece suit with fancy see-through sleeves and what seemed to be chiseled tights (she had the best outfit by far imo); the only tasteless outfit came from Dala imo, her red/burgundy dress with golden adornments would have been way better without the gauze and that fitted part around her knees... :? I mean I don't have anything against women with curves, but some dresses just do not suit their body shapes, it was the same with Moran Mazor in 2013: why was it so fitted around her knees?

Outcome: Well, like Greece, Bosnia failed to qualify for the first time ever, however televoters wanted them through. To be perfectly honest, I'm not sad about their failure (even though I quite enjoy the song now) because if one of their efforts had to fail, it had to be this one imo. It was a decent effort, still it wasn't as good as their quality songs sent in the past. I don't know if Bosnia should try harder in that direction or simply experiment and re-invent themselves, only time will tell. "Ljubav Je" is 21st (out of 42) in my personal ranking, it grew on me quite a lot but it won't pass the threshold of my faves. Bosnia, it was nice to see you back after three years out, I'm aware that your broadcaster's current situation doesn't look good at all :( and I doubt we'll see you next year, but I hope you'll be able to sort things up. To me, you've been a major contributor to Eurovision lately and I'd be delighted to see you get back on track ;)

Top Bottom