Contact us

Block voting - It's getting worse

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyHeartIsYours

We are talking about neighbour voting.
Why do you think that it's not about music!??? Never thought that we have our own taste? Just like Balkans and United Kingdom too? (should we shoot you for your 12 pts?).
Please explain me why people from Cyprus should be booed? Why people from Ukraine or Norway should be attacked by your press? ;)

I know we are, and I dont think it's acceptable.
It's not about music because it's fairly obvious in the case of Greece/Cyprus that the votes are of political/neighbour nature, and not music. Unless of course both Greece and Cyprus both send the most fantastic songs every single year that 12 points just cant be resisted! ;)

As I said before, our bloc has absolutely no affect on the overall result as it's made up of 3 countries who a lot of the time dont even give above 8 points to each other! But, as I dont believe in hypocrisy, then we should have our televotes for each other (and with Turkey) adjusted downwards by the Jury, just as all the ex-USSR countries should have, all the ex-Yugoslavian, and all the Scandinavian countries, amongst others.

Why votes such as Cyprus>Greece and Serbia>Bosnia and Herzegovina deserve to be booed is because they're wrecking the contest, as I said before, what's even exciting about predictable votes. From the 2 Eastern European blocs, I named accurately the 12 points for nearly all of them, and often the 10's and 8's too. Unless people get a rush from exchanging 12's with their neighbours or something? :lol:
It's the Eurovision Song Contest, not the Eurovision Neighbour Contest. Nobody was attacked by the press, the press stated accurately the way the votes went and also congratulated Azerbaijan ;).

MyHeartIsYours

That is not true about the ex-Yugoslav region. They might constantly vote for each other, but the top points go to the truly best songs in the ex-Yu region. Azerbaijan received quite a few votes from the ex-Yu region as well. Just as it does in any other voting block. I don't think you're being reasonable here.

Exactly my point, they dont go to anybody else outside the bloc...

MyHeartIsYours

... Which is what mostly every voting bloc does.

Yes the 2 other blocs, what about everybody who isnt inside such a major bloc? Are we just expected to suffer in silence and not say anything? You have admitted that bloc voting takes place so I hope you agree that something now has to be done about it.

sannerz

Yes the 2 other blocs, what about everybody who isnt inside such a major bloc? Are we just expected to suffer in silence and not say anything? You have admitted that bloc voting takes place so I hope you agree that something now has to be done about it.

Oh, I totally agree with it, but I don't know what CAN be done, because I would hate for there to be only jury voting.

MyHeartIsYours

Oh, I totally agree with it, but I don't know what CAN be done, because I would hate for there to be only jury voting.

Imo what should be done is like now with the televote - everybody can vote for everybody - but then with the Juries 50%, they're not allowed to vote for countries at all which are strongly voted for by that particular country in the past or are only allowed to give a maximum amount of points to a country which is moderately voted for by that particular country.

AlekS

Veteran
I know we are, and I dont think it's acceptable.
It's not about music because it's fairly obvious in the case of Greece/Cyprus that the votes are of political/neighbour nature, and not music. Unless of course both Greece and Cyprus both send the most fantastic songs every single year that 12 points just cant be resisted! ;) .
How come is it obvious? Did you ask every person? Please give me a valuable proof - not your subjective opinion just because someone disagrees with your taste, or just because someone doesn't vote like you want them to vote.

AlekS

Veteran
Why votes such as Cyprus>Greece and Serbia>Bosnia and Herzegovina deserve to be booed is because they're wrecking the contest, as I said before, what's even exciting about predictable votes. From the 2 Eastern European blocs, I named accurately the 12 points for nearly all of them, and often the 10's and 8's too. Unless people get a rush from exchanging 12's with their neighbours or something? :lol:
It's the Eurovision Song Contest, not the Eurovision Neighbour Contest.
So neighbours do not deserve to have their own taste?
So I have to listen to all a--holish booing in response on MY voting? Please, have at least some respect to my votes.
We aren't supposed to vote like you or somebody else wants.
Yes, this is Eurovision SONG Contest. Not Eurovision XENOPHOBIA Contest where people are hunted and labeled in brainless voting because of their choice.

otto

That is not true about the ex-Yugoslav region. They might constantly vote for each other, but the top points go to the truly best songs in the ex-Yu region. Azerbaijan received quite a few votes from the ex-Yu region as well. Just as it does in any other voting block. I don't think you're being reasonable here.

The Ex-Yugoslavia has the most striking block voting patterns in the ESC (alonside Norway!). Just look at the position of the participating countries in the final. With only one exception Bosnia, Croatia, FYR Macedonia, Serbia and Slovenia all reserved their top spots for the ex-yugoslavia. The only exception where anyone came in before an ex-yugoslavian country was that Azerbaijan got 10 points from Croatia, relegating Serbia and Bosnia to 3rd and 4th.

So ex-Yugoslavia is absolutely block voting.

But why? Is is because of shared musical preferences? How many votes are there? Could it be that "most people" don't vote, leaving good opportunities for groups in a country that either have a foreign nationality (usually most from neigbouring countries) or are minority-groups with close ties to neighbouring countries?

Is it something we should do about this? I can't see how we can do that in a fair way. And does it matter in total? The last 3 years we have had winners from Norway, Germany and Azerbaijan. Quite spread out, and especially Germany does not have a big block by ane standard.

One idea could be to alter the points system so that there is less "bonus" for the most votes in each country. If we see this as a "block bonus", maybe the point scale should be tweaked in a way that would benefit songs that get points from more countries?

Last edited:

MyHeartIsYours

How come is it obvious? Did you ask every person? Please give me a valuable proof - not your subjective opinion just because someone disagrees with your taste, or just because someone doesn't vote like you want them to vote.

Well Id say when the same thing has happened every single year for ages whenever possible, it becomes obvious!
No I havent asked every person, of course not everybody voting for Greece from Cyprus has non-musical motives, but you know well Aleks that the exchange of 12 points is nothing to do with music, you're trying to claim that it is to fit in with the rest of your argument about the other blocs.
It's nothing to with with people voting the way I want, it's about fairness.

MyHeartIsYours

So neighbours do not deserve to have their own taste?
So I have to listen to all a--holish booing in response on MY voting? Please, have at least some respect to my votes.
We aren't supposed to vote like you or somebody else wants.
Yes, this is Eurovision SONG Contest. Not Eurovision XENOPHOBIA Contest where people are hunted and labeled in brainless voting because of their choice.

I said about the voting system I want, televoters can vote for any country they want so they can have their own taste and/or neighbourly friends if they so wish. You dont seem to understand that the booing was because the results where bloc voting!! Do you expect fans of the contest who want it to be about music only to go 'oh woooo, they voted for their neighbours, yaaay!!'? ;)
Nothing to do with Xenophobia hence why I say the United Kingdom's results should be adjusted also when we vote for Ireland. It's just having a bit of respect for the contest. I havent called anybody brainless, I just said what's exciting about giving the same results to the same countries year in year out?

lucian-crusher

I don't think there is anymore bloc voting! I mean there is, but not to much. It's more about familiarity. Look at :ru: this year! They sent an americanised song and they got low points from the Soviet bloc. The fact :cy: gives 12 to :gr: is because of the language; the fact that :ba: got all those high points from the Yugoslavian countries is because of Dino and the fact that he is the best composer in the Balkans also proven by tthe fact that except :ro: all the other Balkanika TV members gave Dino points. Maja came from Slovenia's Got Talent where she lost against a 6 years old girl so I think she became famous in former Yugoslavian countries from that. :rs: had a song in Serbian so is logical. We gave 12 to :md: because Zdob si Zdub are one of their best bands, our jury gave 0 to :md: last year so....

IMO the bloc voting is reduced to only 10 %; Diaspora is reduced to about 50 % (no more 12s from :es: to :ro:; no more 12s from :uk: to :gr: and so on....)

AlekS

Veteran
I said about the voting system I want, televoters can vote for any country they want so they can have their own taste and/or neighbourly friends if they so wish. You dont seem to understand that the booing was because the results where bloc voting!! Do you expect fans of the contest who want it to be about music only to go 'oh woooo, they voted for their neighbours, yaaay!!'? ;)
Nothing to do with Xenophobia hence why I say the United Kingdom's results should be adjusted also when we vote for Ireland. It's just having a bit of respect for the contest. I havent called anybody brainless, I just said what's exciting about giving the same results to the same countries year in year out?
Booing has NOTHING to do with respect in general so you talk nonsense.
YOU don't seem to understand that people have a right to vote for their faves and they shouldn't be booed for that. Nobody booes your taste so don't boo mine ;) Otherwise don't be surprised with my attitude in response.

And why should it be exciting? Why should you dictate us your "excitting" plot? It's not our problem that you didn't send anything which appealed to our taste ;)

Simon87

Ex-Yu block is nothing when you look at SSSR block this year :?

aletem

Well there is block (taste) voting from pretty much everywhere. The ex-yus, ex-ussrs, nordics, random diaspora voting all the time, etc. I think this year it wasn't as predictable as before. There were some or should I say many surprising points flying around. :lol:

Ex-Yu block is nothing when you look at SSSR block this year :?
True! Although the baltics don't really profit from that and they don't tend to exchange high points or any points on a regular basis.

And I don't think the Slovenian girl was popular in all the ex-yus because of that X-factor. I think jury and OGAE+forum fans gave her the high points there.

AlekS

Veteran
The "thread" is closed.
Lena showed you how to win. If you can't stop complaining - choose another place for that and get some respect for others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom