Contact us

Best and worst ESC entries of your home country

midnightsun

Joe & Jack is my UK #1 since 199... something (no, not Katrina and the waves). My guilty pleasure. Jemini is such a banger, they were just unlucky with their voices, just like that pretty blonde lady who sang „A message to your heart“ ... oh wait, I think this is my favourite UK entry until J2 happened...

LastDreamer

just like that pretty blonde lady who sang „A message to your heart“ ... oh wait, I think this is my favourite UK entry until J2 happened...

midnightsun

Such gems! Birgitta - Open your heart; Catcat - Bye bye baby :love: all songs that were in my top 3 in their years. And many more! You have a rather unusual taste (like myself) although you also dismiss a lot of songs I like or vice versa:cool:

But, on a more general note... interesting to read how a lot of members like songs of their own country that others don’t. That would explain why national finals are not always successful. The taste of a whole country is often different from what the Eurovision audience from all over Europe prefers.

Ezio

Worst:
2007 - Ven a Bailar Conmigo
One of my guiltiest pleasures of all time. I made up my own lyrics "Después haber comido". It's a song only for adults, not for Eurovision.

Zonne147

Only from 2010:

:pt: Portugal

BEST

1 Salvador Sobral - "Amar Pelos Dois"
2017 (personal & universal thing. I feel it. Words unneeded)
2 Suzy - "Quero Ser Tua" 2014 (We should have qualified this year. As a "pimba" disliker I like this song very much)

3 Conan Osíris - "Telemóveis" 2019 (Very original and experimental, the whole thing didn't work in stage and understandable non-qualification)
4 Leonor Andrade - "Há um mar que nos separa" 2015 (I really like the verses but the chorus is a big miss. Totally deserved failure in a strong year)
5 Filipa Sousa - "Vida Minha" 2012 (This song could be way better explored, I see the potential but the whole thing wasn't enough)
6 Elisa - "Medo de Sentir" 2020 - (Same as 2015 - lack of appeal everywhere, quite beautiful melody but not competitive)
7 Homens da Luta - "A Luta é Alegria" 2011 (Europe didn't understand this entry. Anyway this should be seen as a trolling act, because it was. This has its impact on me though due to our situation in 2011)

WORST

8 Cláudia Pascoal - "O Jardim"
2018 (Very flat and deserved result at the end, Europe had much better options to vote for)
9 Filipa Azevedo - "Há Dias Assim" 2010 (I don't dislike this song, tbh I don't hate any of our songs, I think it's a beautiful ballad but I can't get into it)

Honorable mentions: 1966, 1979, 1996, 2009

Lúcia Moniz - "O meu coração não tem cor" 1996 - Our best result until 2017. No one here cares for this but this is way better than songs RTP hype every year in FdC, like 1989, 1982, 1969 overrated songs that deserved what they got - bottom places. Along with 2017, 1996 is my favorite Portuguese entry ever.

dungyllan1804

Best: Brotherhood of Man (1976), Frances Ruffelle (1994), Katrina and the Waves (1997), Imaani (1998)
Worst: SCOOCH, ALWAYS SCOOCH (and Jemini, and Josh Dubovie)
Generally I'm ok with our entries, I rarely get angry cos they're bad or anything

Top Bottom