21 11.7%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Okay so i've recovered from this shocking win / spending time in the same room as NIKKIETUTORIALS / yesterday and here's my tea.

This result was a shock. It rarely happens that the act *everyone* considers an irrelevant and likely last place winds up the winner. When the jurors and contestants trickled into the press centre the atmosphere was notably jovial - everyone was happy for Gustaph and his win (Chérine was VISIBLY very pleased for instance). The only acts that didn't show up backstage while I was there were Gala and The Starlings.

I think I'm okay with this result though. I heavily favoured (and voted for) Chérine and I'm surprised how quickly I accepted her loss. The jury were always favouring Gala and the audience were always voting for The Starlings - a Chérine win was only in the cards if she finished second in both votes and didn't. In hindsight, she was never winning, and I'm at peace with her loss. She did her best and has nothing to feel bad about. I don't. Neither should the Chérine Squad.

Now as far as THE STARLINGS and GALA are concerned. Rybak was right when he read them for filth "Oceanside" WOULD have won and The Starlings scuttled their game because ME!! MYSELF!! I!!! and that's just not how it works. A forced personal message does not work because it really is the *audience*, not the artist that decides whether a message is relevant or not. Gala and the Starlings put themselves before the competitions and it proved fatal.

Gustaph was not the winner I wanted, but in a sense a correct winner (note that I'm NOT saying "the correct winner"). VRT really needs someone who understands the spirit of the contest, is willing to compromise their personal preferences for the competition, has the ability to perform AND sing, and is willing to give it their all and throw everything but the kitchen sink. Gustaph fits this profile.

It's different if you're in the audience than live, but Gustaph had one of the best receptions and definitely came across well. I'm not a huge fan of the song, but he did what he needed to do and was rewarded with a clutch victory over two obtuse acts unwilling to compromise. Such is life.

As far as Belgium's qualification chances are concerned - I don't fucking know. The loss of your favourite over a seemingly hopeless old gay rubs raw and sore, so it's understandable that people are feeling butthurt. I do think "Because of you" is underrated though. The comparisons to Michaël ben David are a borderline hate crime - Michaël is a nortoriously difficult person to deal with (slight euphemism) on both a professional and personal level.

The strengths of Gustaph, ultimately are the combination of a simple but easy to understand message, a catchy tune and a good voice, but above anything else a complete lack of pretences. This is how he won over enough people in both votes. If you come out of nowhere to win, with 27.5% of the televote (out of 7 contestants) you must have done something right, as much if not more than the others have done something wrong.

Qualification will not be easy because I do ultimately feel the song isn't that good. It's easier to patch up an act than it is to patch up a song. I don't think it'll be a struggle though. It will be a fight, yes, but we have to give it our all. Last night's show was good, and you have to be very good to win it.

There's some potential here. Let's capitalize on it.

lol this should probably be an editorial but i hope you all enjoyed this monsterpost.

FilipFromSweden

Honestly love it, finally something ballsy and different and colorful from Belgium :10:

Franzilein

I also had to think about What's the pressure, which sounded equally as dated and unnecessary originally. However, Laura Rissotto managed to have a killer choreography and very likeable stage presence with gigantic charisma. All things that I don't see Gustaph will achieve. Also Bilal Hassani, Tix and Sheldon Riley proved that the eccentric, flamboyant performance genree is not actually popular with voters.

Not sure about the other ones and too lazy to check, but I remember TIX being 13th with the televoters, it was the juries that kept him low. And What's The Pressure ended up 10th in the final, so pretty much around the same place. As I said, with an engaging performance similar to Laura's, I can see this one doing quite well. If they'll manage to do that is another question.

Fluke

Didn't hear about Tusse, Michael Ben David and Waylon having a threesome.

Seriously, this got problems. It's not enough having an original sound and a look-at-me-i'm-original-style when you don't have a good song or charisma. Kinda like some parts of the song, but they're disjointed and forgettable.

Vocals are pretty good, but his expression and stage presence is nonexistant, and the attempts at choreography doesn't change the fact that he seems completely lost on stage. It looks almost like early rehearsal footage, when the artist hasn't yet decided how to approach the performance and just kinda stands there, occasionally making generic moves. I dunno how this managed to work with the Belgian audience, but i see this really failing to connect with ESC viewers and flopping despite good vocals.

The staging and the outfits look very unpolished, maybe they can work out something really spectacular that makes Gustaph feel and seem much more at home and it will really surprise us, but it's all too much like a inferior copy of "I.M." which didn't qualify, so for now i doubt this will either.

CPV4931

It somehow reminds me a bit of Andy Abraham - Even if, not a bad song, but something I will have between 20 and 30 in my final ranking in a an average year... so far 5 points here

HarryUK

I keep singing Michael Ben David over the top of this WHICH ISN'T AN INSULT because I loved his original version last year!!!

simori95

Ok can Germany now have Yves Paquet in the pre-selection please? Another shot at belgian representation in the contest :love:
(and yes, I am certainly selfish about it cause he is already my number 5 most listened to Spotify Artist of all time. He is right up my alley)

shameless

Not sure about the other ones and too lazy to check, but I remember TIX being 13th with the televoters, it was the juries that kept him low. And What's The Pressure ended up 10th in the final, so pretty much around the same place. As I said, with an engaging performance similar to Laura's, I can see this one doing quite well. If they'll manage to do that is another question.
13th is not a good placement and yeah, Laura was also helped a lot by the juries and it was nearly a decade ago. Things have changed and yet again, the song benefit a lot from her performing availabilities. Everything that Gustaphe lacks.

A-lister

Veteran
This Eurovision season really starts off bad, and I thought 2022 was a bad year, first Ukraine now this...

Oh well, Albania is still serving something at least... but I hope things get better....

simori95

FilipFromSweden

This is an entry that doesn't take itself too seriously, while at the same time not being a joke entry. Such entries we've seen less and less of over the years, a lot due to the jury bait ambitions. Entries like these that are just carefree and fun are what attracts the audience. Like @Sean said, without juries stopping them there is no way this won't be in the semi top 10

MopManMoss

Veteran
He was a backing singer for Sennek so I have to unironically stan him i'm afraid (matter of time is my second favourite all time entry)

allenakaalan

I have to say that the beat during the chorus is pretty addicting! Wasn't a fan of the song in the beginning, but now I've actually replayed it quite a bit.

Top Bottom