You're in the wrong place, you're in the wrong place
Don't you ever dare to wear my Johnny Cash t-shirt​

Last edited by a moderator:

RevNet

THE GOOD:
  • Decent vocals by both singers.
  • It's memorable because of its kooky video.
THE BAD:
  • It doesn't fully commit to its weirdness.
  • The lyrics are kind of everywhere.
THE VERDICT:

This was a hard song to critique, but overall, it's not a bad song, just weird, maybe? As of now, I still remember the video more than the song. The jury's still out on whether this is a good or bad thing. Guess I'll say that this song is writing its own fate as far as being in the Final. It might get in because it has a weird-enough sound. Who knows? 7 points

Remisan

Great vocals in live performance. I like the music of this band, both last year and this one. They know how to create an atmosphere and mood. This song is mesmerizing, it is really beautiful. Belgium will qualify, I hope. The song deserves it. xheart(y)

Iker

Veteran
I am afraid it will NQ. They need to get appropriate staging for it that amplifies the mood instead of killing it (like with Senneke, albeit she also couldn't sing to make it worse), otherwise it will stay in the semi.

I actually find 'The Wrong Place' very enjoyable but it's a tough semifinal and the running order will not help.

Remisan

The jury appreciates her vocals

But this song is really hard to appreciate the first time. It is slow, and may seem unusual. The song is very good, but it takes a while to get used to

Last edited:

midnightsun

Veteran
The fact Senneke did much better with the juries than televote is probably due to bad staging. Even her make-up was so bad that evening, plus strange face and strange gestures and strange clothes, it really hurt to watch and I see why the audience didn’t particularly like it. It didn’t fit the song at all. But for the jurors it was a.) only secondary because they judge the songs and overall stage appearance mostly and b.) she might have looked much better during the rehearsals.
So if Belgium is able to create a certain mood and a bit less is more this might have a chance and I really wish it would because it’s one of my favourites but it‘s a tough one for them.

Pål Nordahl

I'm afraid I have to lower my rating for this song. I enjoyed it for a while, particularly the atmosphere and vocals, and rated it :7: initially. But now I find myself skipping it on my playlist because it has become quite boring over time, and I'm rarely in the mood for it. What's the opposite of a grower? A shrinker I guess xshrug

Obviously, most voters will hear this for the first time in May. Whether that's good or bad for Hooverphonic will be determined then. :5: points.

Last edited:

escEndre

Hi everyone!

Get to know Hooverphonic more here, and please help us grow on YouTube by subscribe our YouTube-channel ! :-)

Last edited:

Skymnos

Well idk what will go wrong with Belgium, but it won't be the vocals

She still has it. :love:

LOVE this version, much better than the studio one.
This definitely went up on my ranking.
I'm curious to see them on stage at Rotterdam, hope they keep their cool and dont botch it :cool:

revallsay

Hooverphonic - The Wrong Place - Belgium

Love the malancholy of this song and mystery. This is a Top10 material for sure. I hope they'll have a dark performance with playing with lights. That would be epic!!

10/12

Zeus

Class, quality and character. Deserve top 3 or even the win in my eyes. Will get some jury points, but the televoters will not vote that much for this. You can already see that happening. Not dancy, poppy and/or quirky enough. I would say that this entry is too good for Eurovision.

Oh, and I saw some reactions on the first page.. Unpopulair opinion, but idc: singing Love Shine A Light all together is cheezy as hell and if you strongly dislike a song or an idea, you are absolutely right to not participate. For me it shows character and being true to who you are as an artist. I like that more than just everyone putting their happy face up and singing a cheezy song that is supposed to bring joy to the people at home or something. I think in that idea lies more arrogance than saying: I do not feel comfortable with this idea and song, so no, sorry.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
The fact Senneke did much better with the juries than televote is probably due to bad staging. Even her make-up was so bad that evening, plus strange face and strange gestures and strange clothes, it really hurt to watch and I see why the audience didn’t particularly like it. It didn’t fit the song at all. But for the jurors it was a.) only secondary because they judge the songs and overall stage appearance mostly and b.) she might have looked much better during the rehearsals.
So if Belgium is able to create a certain mood and a bit less is more this might have a chance and I really wish it would because it’s one of my favourites but it‘s a tough one for them.

Late to the party, but

The jury scores I believe came largely down to the composition being good, I guess, and also that semi being full of (even more) incompetent jury repellents. I would also assume they were influenced by Belgium being a betting odds fave at that point (which I've always suspected influences jurors - nobody wants to appear uncultured or uncouth by downvoting A Quality Fave)

Regardless, the presentation of "A matter of time" was repulsive. Of course did nobody pick up their phones and vote for that. it was an omnishambles, that completely failed to bring anything across at all. Such a disaster I'm STILL angry about it three years later.

And who could have foreseen THIS outcome when the singer herself admitted that she had no time to rehearse, had to pay for everything, and worked a full time job while the other countries rehearsed. Where was the delegation? Why didn't they offer her, an amateur, financial and professional support? "BUT OUR SONG IS AMAZING WE'VE ALREADY WON IT'S IN THE BAG". The Belgian HoD should have resigned after this disaster, because the responsibility rests fully on her shoulders.

As far as Hooverphonic are concerned: they are rehearsing they song meticulously as we speak, and both Alex and Geike are leaving nothing to chance. That's encouraging. They're exh.ibiting the professional attitude I would have expected from them. They're not assuming they're automatically in because of their ~High Quality Music~, and Alex seems to have learnt his lessons from last year.

Again, Belgium NQ'ing... it will largely come down to being outclassed by the delightfully camp candy surrounding it, not so much by a lack of effort... unlike Sennek.

Ezio

Veteran
In the meantime, I think Belgium will be the jury winner of the first semi.

The televote can go in all directions. They could pull a Sennek, but in a year like 2021, the audience could be less gay and more casual, and a Common Linnets upset could be possible. It's not the most exciting song, and I feel indifferent about it, but it doesn't look like a lost cause since I could see how they could appeal to juries and different sets of viewers.

Looren

Veteran

Really ? I actual can't see them even in the jury's top 10 of the semi

Honestly their last year entry was much better that this and I was sure that they would finish in the jury's top 5 of the semi but this year I see Belgium NQing again

Zeus

Not in the top ten for the juries? Well, these juries are most of the time just DJ's, flopped artists and some unknown producers, but still, it would be pretty weird if this wouldn't end up high in the jury vote. The production is, compared to most entries, creative and sophisticated. Also Geike can sing it flawless in a live performance (see video somewhere above).

Ofcourse: even Eurovision juries will rate this.

Shadowfuxcs

Class, quality and character. Deserve top 3 or even the win in my eyes. Will get some jury points, but the televoters will not vote that much for this. You can already see that happening. Not dancy, poppy and/or quirky enough. I would say that this entry is too good for Eurovision.

Oh, and I saw some reactions on the first page.. Unpopulair opinion, but idc: singing Love Shine A Light all together is cheezy as hell and if you strongly dislike a song or an idea, you are absolutely right to not participate. For me it shows character and being true to who you are as an artist. I like that more than just everyone putting their happy face up and singing a cheezy song that is supposed to bring joy to the people at home or something. I think in that idea lies more arrogance than saying: I do not feel comfortable with this idea and song, so no, sorry.
Amen to that, they received so much slack for not wanting to sing a cheesy "Action Aid rich white people saving mongrels in Africa" anthem that is considered respectable only because it represented the UK and because it was sung by a band that had 1 hit decades ago. Most of the singers that participate in eurovision just get whatever song is chosen for them from a songwriting camp so of course they would go along with it. But when it comes to artists that are in control of their own sound the fandom should not have such expectations. They signed up to present their own work on the big stage, not to shoot a tik tok video featuring a song from 25 years ago.

Remisan

Not in the top ten for the juries? Well, these juries are most of the time just DJ's, flopped artists and some unknown producers, but still, it would be pretty weird if this wouldn't end up high in the jury vote. The production is, compared to most entries, creative and sophisticated. Also Geike can sing it flawless in a live performance (see video somewhere above).

Ofcourse: even Eurovision juries will rate this.

Geike is a real professional, her vocal is great.
In fairness, the jury should rate Belgium. But sometimes it seems to me that the jury vote based on their own considerations (politics, remove a strong competitor and and even the desire of their left heel). xshrug:mrgreen:

Jopi

The televote can go in all directions. They could pull a Sennek, but in a year like 2021, the audience could be less gay and more casual, and a Common Linnets upset could be possible. It's not the most exciting song, and I feel indifferent about it, but it doesn't look like a lost cause since I could see how they could appeal to juries and different sets of viewers.
I doubt it will be the winner... since there are Sweden and Malta juries darlings:rolleyes::rolleyes:
But I espect Belgium to be in top10 with jures.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
I think Belgium comes top four with the semi Juries lol :3 but i'll admit it's probably nationalism bias on my end.

Still though, Malta beats them and then...

Top Bottom