You're in the wrong place, you're in the wrong place
Don't you ever dare to wear my Johnny Cash t-shirt​

Last edited by a moderator:

Romeo

IF YOU WERE REFERRING TO ME...

tenor.gif

BorisBubbles

Veteran
what? no, of course not. I was refering to Alex Callier, silly.

Shadowfuxcs

This is quite a grower, it feels true to the band's style contrary to last year's entry, and Geike's voice is just so much more suited to their style compared to Luka's. It is one of my favorite entries of the year though I can only see it as a borderline qualifier at best. Mr Panckakes in doing their staging again, I find him one of the most underwhelming stage directors at esc; he has not done anything successfull since "calm after the storm". Yes even the staging he did for arcade was not great and it would have cost them the victory had Italy not messed up their own staging even worse. Mr Panckakes is - to me - the main reason Belgium did not qualify in 2018 and 2019 so inviting him back doesn't make me very confident about their chances. Hope it works out in the end.

Preuss

This is quite a grower, it feels true to the band's style contrary to last year's entry, and Geike's voice is just so much more suited to their style compared to Luka's. It is one of my favorite entries of the year though I can only see it as a borderline qualifier at best. Mr Panckakes in doing their staging again, I find him one of the most underwhelming stage directors at esc; he has not done anything successfull since "calm after the storm". Yes even the staging he did for arcade was not great and it would have cost them the victory had Italy not messed up their own staging even worse. Mr Panckakes is - to me - the main reason Belgium did not qualify in 2018 and 2019 so inviting him back doesn't make me very confident about their chances. Hope it works out in the end.

Belgium's stagings + the whole package in 2017, 2018, and 2019 left a lot to be desired... in my book, the "worst" country in those three years after some really good years. Here to hope that Hooverphonic does a great job! I think they'll deliver, especially because they have Alex on board xcheer

ayzelto

I wasn't very convinced in the beginning but this definitely needs to be in the final. In terms of quality, this is one of the best imo. 7 points.

crashworld

Veteran
Now that all songs have been released (except Belarus, but I doubt I will like the artist's song to make a huge change).
I am re-evaluating all songs as per studio form and re-looking into my grading system and how I have ranked the songs according to my personal preference.

Another song that grew on me quite alot, really enjoy the dark atmosphere of the song. Currently in my top 15 (at no. 13).
So upgrading the rating to :7:.

Phoenix

Last year Belgium was a disappointment and a snooze, but I really, really love this one! It's kinda like Lana's Blue Jeans + a bit of Portishead (Sour Times) following the Eurovision recipe. What's not to like? For some unknown reason this type of dark-ish songs tend to do so-so in the contest, which is a shame, but this one is a bit more catchy than most songs of that sort. Hope the GP agrees for once and that Hooverphonic nail their performance.

Here, have my :12:

Ianp16

It's definitely a grower, which is why I don't think it will qualify. It's one of them songs that is a treat to sing along to... Once you know the words.

Don't you ever dare to wear my Jonny Cash t-shirt! xmusicxmusicxmusicxmusic

crashworld

Veteran
Actually how big is Hooverphonic in Europe? Do you think they will be able to enjoy a good amount of televote?
I have this gut feeling that this will do quite badly in the televote and the juries won't be able to save it.

lasse braun

last years entry was a :7:or :8:for me - it was also a little grower.

this years song is more special interests pop (too bulky) - maybe good with the jurys but televote not so good - i give only :4:.

Last edited:

rasmuslights

Veteran
Actually how big is Hooverphonic in Europe? Do you think they will be able to enjoy a good amount of televote?
I have this gut feeling that this will do quite badly in the televote and the juries won't be able to save it.

they still tour the Benelux and Eastern Europe (Poland, Czechia, Russia, Romania..) and it's not like they are actually big, but still not many artists from Eurovision tour Europe before the show, it may help them a bit. I know some older (around 35) in Slovenia also know them.. so they do have some recognition.

Iker

Veteran
They are past their peak popularity and acclaim (early 00s) but they are the biggest name participating and possibly the only act with some international career this year at the ESC. And also the only artist / band that I have already known before the ESC (I mean before cancelled 2020 Eurovision, excluding Rafał Brzozowski from Poland). But I think that people who typically listen to Hooverphonic or similar music (trip-hop genre) do not necessarily watch Eurovision. Albeit maybe this year they will.

Their biggest hit was 'Mad About You' released in 2000.

Last edited:

midnightsun

Veteran
I also knew them before the contest but as it was already said, there is a small group of people who is listening to their songs on a regular basis but it’s not to usual ESC audience. In Germany they are well-known to the said smaller group.

Iker

Veteran
I also knew them before the contest but as it was already said, there is a small group of people who is listening to their songs on a regular basis but it’s not to usual ESC audience. In Germany they are well-known to the said smaller group.

'The Wrong Place' is a very classic Hooverphonic for me- much more characteristic for them than 'Release Me' that felt more Eurovision-ish (sometimes it's a good thing, sometimes bad) ...

I am afraid how the staging / performance will look in Rotterdam ... if it is something a la Senneke than it's NQ for 99%. Why do they hire the same guy?! I mean ... I was pretty sure that the negative feedback regarding that reached Belgium. But Senneke also couldn't sing her song at all properly, while Geike is a stronger live performer as far as I know.

Last edited:

midnightsun

Veteran
Sennek’s staging was underwhelming, not only in terms of stage optics. I think Hooverphonic will be much better, after all they are music professionals while Sennek, if I remember correctly, was mainly working in her main job (sales?) - you could feel she has not a lot of stage experience although she also works in the music scene. Her gestures on stage and how she moved, played with the camera, it all didn’t match which was a pity because I really really loved and still love the song and her voice too; I still play it a lot. It’s my kind of music that I‘m listening to often.

crashworld

Veteran
Well idk what will go wrong with Belgium, but it won't be the vocals

There are 2 possible aspects that could go wrong for them:

1. Audience cannot connect with the band or the song if they appear too cold or disconnected. I can see it doing a Finland 2017.
2. Horrible staging, which Belgium is well-known for self-sabotage.

Jury support will be there, it's the public support that I can see they may lack of especially if the 2 aspects I mentioned above turn out to be true.

Top Bottom