6 4.5%

2 1.5%

7 5.2%

• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator
Belgium-scaled.jpg

tuorem

Name-dropping is hot, but don't mind me because I'll wait for the song before getting excited tbh. Over the years, I've learned to be cautious about known acts.

Like some members here, I've heard of them before without really knowing one of their songs in particular. Their style could be my cup of tea, it's an interesting choice from VRT - at least they detach themselves from the talent show singers this time around - but the composition will still have to meet expectations. Hopefully, they chose the right song to leave a lasting impression on people and already thought of not hiring Mr. Pancake for their staging. Being famous and seasoned doesn't exempt from making enlightened choices to put on the best show possible.

Go neighbours! Do your thang while keeping in mind your weaknesses of the last two years so that none of this happens in 2020. xcheer I look forward to listening to the song.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
It's not exactly detaching yourself from talent show contestants. Luka won The Voice. Alex was her coach.

Basically, they're headed in the same direction as Sennek, except this time with people who know what they are doing.

ESC94

It's not exactly detaching yourself from talent show contestants. Luka won The Voice. Alex was her coach.

Basically, they're headed in the same direction as Sennek, except this time with people who know what they are doing.

Well, hopefully with a better outcome than Sennek. I really loved "A Matter of Time" as a song, but sadly she had the stage presence of a wet kitchen towel.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
You are very kind towards her. I mean...

tumblr_inline_psmjcqflaE1uj0mew_500.png

Are we sure she wasn't conceived into this world by Edvard Munch?

but whatever. I'm currently working on an editorial about Belgium's upcoming chances and I will dedicate a word (or three hundred :3) on the omnishambles. The organization behind "A matter of time" was as bad as you think it was. The delegation had no clue what they were doing. They just let Sennek make an utter fool of herself and never intervened, aside from repeating ad nauseam how good her song was. It's like Nero blissfully playing his lyre as he watched Rome burn. Shameful.

VRT claim to have learned from their blunders. We'll see. Any success they'll achieve in Rotterdam will not be repeated in 2022 if they haven't.

ESC94

You are very kind towards her. I mean...

tumblr_inline_psmjcqflaE1uj0mew_500.png

Are we sure she wasn't conceived into this world by Edvard Munch?

but whatever. I'm currently working on an editorial about Belgium's upcoming chances and I will dedicate a word (or three hundred :3) on the omnishambles. The organization behind "A matter of time" was as bad as you think it was. The delegation had no clue what they were doing. They just let Sennek make an utter fool of herself and never intervened, aside from repeating ad nauseam how good her song was. It's like Nero blissfully playing his lyre as he watched Rome burn. Shameful.

VRT claim they have learned for their blunders. We'll see. Any success they'll achieve in Rotterdam won't be repeated in 2022 if they haven't.

Thanks, now I´m gonna have really bad nightmares!! ;)

tuorem

I should have worded my thoughts better. Of course, there is a connection with The Voice. By that, I meant picking someone from a talent show with no real career and write a song for them with the contest in mind.

Here it's a bit different since it's an established band that's been around for quite some time and that is supposed to have their own universe. Luka did win The Voice, but she's just one of the members: Alex probably didn't write the upcoming entry for her, but for the band, and that's what makes it a change of approach to me (although it might have been unintentional from VRT). It will be Hooverphonic's material. :)

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Yeah, it is true that they didn't write their entry with ESC in mind. However, they were contacted several times before by VRT officials. If this hadn't happened, I doubt that they would have repped Belgium at Eurovision. When Hooverphonic were writing for their upcoming album, they already were considering a possible participation.

It's not like their song has been finished. From what I have pieced together, it's still in its demo stage, but Alex and Raymond have a certain ~vision~ in mind with regards of its musical arrangement (bombastic percussion and melancholic violins).

Like I said, this isn't a Belgian attempt to win. Hooverphonic going to ESC is VRT's attempt to figure out a formula for success. You can be damn' certain they'll keep a close eye on the proceedings. Maybe they'll learn a thing or two.

tuorem

OK, it seems Callier basically answered my concerns during yesterday's interview on the radio :lol: regarding the importance of composition quality, live vocal execution and work on staging.

And he apparently said they don't take the power of their notoriety for granted to succeed, so that reassures me. :D

BorisBubbles

Veteran
I agree. Their interview reassured me somewhat. They remain down-to-earth and realistic, which is good because hurbis has cost us much in the past. The only problem i foresee is that the song might be too aloof or pedantic for the general audience's tastes.

Still lowkey shocked that out of all the acts to namedrop he chose KATE MILLER HEIDKE :xheart. NOTHING HOLDING HER DOWN.

MalagaToledo

Banned
Their representatives look weird, boring and smth that wouldn't interest me. #justsaying

Mrm

Veteran
Veeeeeery promising!! ;)

BTW I bought airplane ticket for Amsterdam, and booked hotel in Leiden! xyaaay xyaaay xyaaay

Sammy

Veteran
I think I'll wait for the song... But it does look promising I have to say.

Preuss

The guy closest to the interviewer was spot on about everything he said about Blance, Sennek and Eliot :rolleyes:
But was literally speaking all the time

MalagaToledo

Banned
what happened to the fact that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover

True, in theory it should be, but in reality it isn't always the case. Maybe they could surprise us, but I feel I'm not gonna like them or their song. I don't have any expactaions for them.

Ezio

Veteran

Grinch

Although their songs are not my cup of tea, I won't make the final comment until seeing their semi final performance.
They will probably change their lead singer at least twice until then :mrgreen:

Top Bottom