3 1.9%

3 1.9%

9 5.7%

• Total voters

Ewigkeit

Veteran
Robbed. :(

FilipeGolias

The song was decent enough, the rest was just not there. Possible last place.

Sorry for Eliot, hope he's not shaken about this result.

opinionsigotem

Good grief, what happened? He was definitely not that weak in London, maybe his voice is just too pathetic to carry across a massive hall? Everything seemed half baked and lame. What a disappointment, last place wouldn't be unwarranted.

Chorizo

The second year in a row Belgium killed a good song with horrible staging.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
My oh my, not even the RTBF is immune to the "we completely botch an easy finalist due to a lack of vision/artistic creativity" disease that murdered Sennek last year; who knew?

But Eliot was more of a Yianna for me than a Sennek. Sennek was an omnishambles, a walking OTT disaster. She looked as though she was in severe pain and imprinted that pain onto my soul.

Eliot is the opposite. His was an entry which showed promise at first and then delivered absolutely none of that. No creativity, no self-critical analysis, no awareness of what made Wake Up good in the first place. Everything that could've went wrong, went wrong.

You know what? give me a moment to get up and I'll break it down frame by frame where it all went wrong.

Jacketh

I think this is the first time I felt generally sad watching someone perform. The staging was awful, but he just looked so swallowed up and so so so nervous. I pointed out a few moments on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Jacketh_/status/1128439023117197313

The camera work in the last thirty seconds really is atrocious. It's meant to be an emotive, powerful song. There *were* some good stage moments, but the camera instead seemed insistent on getting every member of the audience in shot instead of focusing on them.

Was one of my favourite performances at LEP so I was really not disappointed but not surprised once I saw the performance.

Toposcoupe

As a song it was definitely worth a spot in the finals, but since the Eurovision Song Contest is a live contest, the Belgian delegation and Eliot should have tried to convey that exact mood and emotions from the video clip live on stage. It failed to deliver and wasn't up there in some crucial areas. The vocals were subpar to say the least and lacked power, he didn't look comfortable and was too nervous, and the whole act was messy. After sending quite some unexperienced, very young artists in recent years (Eliot, Blanche, Iris), it might be good if Belgium opts for more experienced artists which are comfortable performing at a big live stage from now on. To be honest, after Sennek didn't make it to the finals last year with a good song AND good vocals (but possibly lacking in other areas), I thought Eliot didn't really deserve to qualify.

Belgium has produced some excellent songs in recent years, the songwriting and producing skills are definitely there, and Belgium might actually be one of the best and most consistent countries in that respect, it is just such a waste that all that potential hasn't come to fruition as of yet. I'm hoping to see yet another excellent song from Belgium next year, and seeing our neighbours finally giving us the whole package.

alca

As I said before, I like the song, especially the music, but the chorus is quite weak. And on top of that, Eliot was bad last night. It was obvious he wasn't gonna make it.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Alrighty, as a Belgian it's my national duty to sink my teeth into this blandfest and check what it scores on the shit-o-metre. Also since imitation is the best form of flattery and I've been binging a lot of CinemaSins lately, I'll add a little sin counter as we make our way through this.

EVERYTHING WRONG WITH ELIOT - "WAKE UP" (BELGIUM 2019)

Sin #1.
This crappy entry is brought to you by myheritage.com
0NhEOin.gif

Sin #2.
Let's make a good first impression by splicing in two wideshots before the first headshot.
ggf8YlV.giff

Sin #3
That jacket has more holes in it than this song's libretto
L1AWgTe.jpg

Sin #4.
Does this kid really expect us to believe he wakes up EVERY night to pray? Who is this kid, some modern day Jesus?

Sin #5.
Also if you're going to sing like that in English, then why even sing in English? Why not just sing in French?

Sin #6.
Although this song features no percussion in the musical score there are three life-sized drums on the stage

Sin #7.
Camera cuts away into a wide shot as drummer guy is about to hit it
YDpgtlW.gif

Sin #8
The controversial keychange is conveniently ignored by the staging.

Sin #09.
That is not how you play the drums, lady.
5fJM0Mi.gif

Sin #10
"Fistpump to appear rebellious" cliché
YHCBx4G.jpg

Sin #11
Are we supposed to believe that Eliot is supposed to save the youth and the world? Really?? ... This world is f!cked, isn't it?

Sin #12
If you don't want our lies and need truth, then why won't anybody try something if it's true?... like, are you saying that your plan is to not fight and let the world burn if somebody admits to you that the world is trash? Nonsensical lyrics continue to be utterly nonsensical.

Sin #13
How many wide shots does this song need anyway?
WaUG78j.gif

Sin #14
2019 act draws inspiration from a century old recruitment poster in an attempt to appear Woke And Current.
sTKJnnK.gif

Sin #15
Why are there cords attached this vest? Is the plan to pull one so the jacket can inflate into a lifevest and float him into the Grand Final?

Sin #16
The cords have "WILD" written on them. For a song about uncovering truth, it does a fair share of blatant lying.

Sin #17
Half-way through the song the ceiling comes down because the stage director has run out of both fresh and unfresh ideas
9MD8fTi.gif

Sin #18
So far staging does a better job at selling the stage than the act performed on that stage

Sin #19
2019 song almost accidentally uses fascist hand gestures in an attempt to stay Woke And Current
YaUXq3B.gif

Sin #20-23
Let's just add a sin for each Peace Hand visible on those f*cking t-shirts.

Sin #24-26
Also, using clothing to explain your message implies that your audience will 1) understand the message 2) care about understanding the message 3) not be distracted by how ugly those t-shirts really are. Three sins for failing at all three points.

Sin #27
Wow, we're almost 2:30 minutes into this song and nothing of note has happened. A song called "Wake Up" shouldn't be this good at putting people to sleep.

Sin #28
Belgium continues to f*ck up staging even without the help of Hans Pancake.

Sin #29
Because it doesn't fit the narrative anywhere else, let's just add an arbitrary sin for Those Vocals and move on without comment.

Sin #30
"Camera Tornado during the middle eight" cliché
mjidSco.gif

Sin #31
Camera pans into a wide shot immediately before the climax.
7w5ob3w.gif

Sin #32
Also, those are some pointless looking smoke pylons.

Sin #33
Random RainyWoods impersonator gets up to use the bathroom, signaling us, the viewers, what we should have done at second zero.
8VnFmCv.gif

Sin #34
KAN ensures to make sure that everyone knows which broadcaster was responsible for wasting three minutes of everybody's time, continuing the storyline of KAN being a complete d*ck to the other delegations for no discernible reason.
bHyN5Mk.gif

Sin #35
Well that was an utter waste of a build up, hopefully the next song won't do the sa-
2pNxwb5.jpg

GODVER-

Eurovision Sin Counter: 35
Score on the Failometer: three Senneks out of five
tumblr_inline_prjyqkr8Iq1uj0mew_540.png

Gitte

Sin #35
Well that was an utter waste of a build up, hopefully the next song won't do the sa-
2pNxwb5.jpg

GODVER-

Eurovision Sin Counter: 35
Score on the Failometer: three Senneks out of five
tumblr_inline_prjyqkr8Iq1uj0mew_540.png
[/CENTER][/SIZE]

Georgia was better though, at least the build up was a real BUILD UP and it didn't go back to sleepymode everytime you thought there was actually going to happen something. That's what I really dislike about this song: the verses are good and build up nicely and THEN, after the last YOUUUUUUUUUU..... I came to fight....

CPV4931

Has nothing to do with Belgium´s entry this year, but: Could it be, that the thread "Belgium 2020" in the 2020-Subforum is missing?

Milos-BC

Everything was very bad and uninspirative. On top of that, he was very unconvincing. The song itself is decent but, in this package, it deserved a non-qualification.

musicfan

At present this is in my top 4, of recent Belgium efforts this and What's the Pressure are the best for me, but this may well stand out more. I'm not sure there's any real reason to say the Dutch one is obviously better, both have relatively simple catchy hooks in the chorus but this has tons more atmosphere.

VikingTiger

Belgium has turned rock into (almost) diamonds at some occations. This year they let a decent song sink rock bottom with their staging, their performance, their clothes...

Top Bottom